Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 247311 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #675 on: August 31, 2009, 05:40:43 am »

Kobolds in adventurer mode, when issuing a challenge, don't speak. They just shout their name and then get on with it.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 31, 2009, 07:30:07 am »

I had a mayor that loved buckets. I mean, loved buckets. Like every mandate was to make buckets, and the export of buckets was forbidden... best mayor ever, pretty much. Easy to please.

Then, some carpenter went fey and made an artifact wooden bucket. On the image was a picture of my mayor, surrounded by buckets.

Makes me wish that every bucket in the image had that same picture on itself, leading to a quite awesome Planepacked-style fractal image.

On topic, I recently noticed that if vomit and blood are in the same tile, the result is a brown mess. So, colors mix in DF.

Oh god that is awesome, what happened to that guy
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 31, 2009, 05:46:23 pm »

Oh god that is awesome, what happened to that guy

The story itself is quite entertaining, actually. Spoilered it 'cause it's so long.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:23 pm »

Twice now I've encountered roaches in adventure mode.  They seem to serve no other purpose than stepping on, which leaves a roach corpse and a little ichor.  Reminds me of Animal Crossing.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 01, 2009, 10:33:46 pm »

In Fortress mode, when you select a goblin civilization and hit Tab to see imports and exports, it says,

Exports to [fortress]: Terror
Imports from [fortress]: Vengeance
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 02, 2009, 04:32:52 am »

Horses, donkeys and mules are immortal. They have no [MAXAGE:~]-tag.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 02, 2009, 05:43:44 am »

I just discovered that muddy engraved granite floor tiles turn an awesome shining gold color.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 02, 2009, 05:55:39 am »

In Fortress mode, when you select a goblin civilization and hit Tab to see imports and exports, it says,

Exports to [fortress]: Terror
Imports from [fortress]: Vengeance

This happens with kobolds too.

Exports to [fortress]: Petty Annoyance
Imports to [fortress]: Death

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 02, 2009, 08:23:30 am »

I wish there was a way of modding it for elves, but it seems to be hardcoded at the moment.  For elves I'd put:

Exports to [fortress]: Useless piles of junk
Imports from [fortress]: Heating and rock

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 02, 2009, 08:34:42 am »

Mountain Goat gods? BLASPHEMY.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 02, 2009, 08:41:01 am »

I did wonder how that mountain goat mauled my best hunter.  This was the hunter who had fought off an ambush single handed (he was in the area, so I recruited him to see what would happen.  BAM.  Goblins suffer catastrophic internal injuries).

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 02, 2009, 08:44:06 am »

Id must have been watching over him.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 02, 2009, 09:33:56 am »

I've seen other animal gods, but they are generally matched to their spheres.

In my current world, I've seen a giant rat god (caverns, mountains), a carp god (human god of rivers and something else, equivalent to a Native American trout god.) one that took the form of a monarch butterfly (also humans I think, didn't check the spheres), a fire man god representing the sun among other things, and an oyster god which had the spheres of fishing and some other stuff.

I also spotted a dwarven god who only had one sphere... food and was called the something butter of mushrooms. Lol, maybe their food was so bad that they made a god to make thier food better. The closest RL god may be Dionysus/Bacchus who pretty much was the god of feasting.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 02, 2009, 10:37:13 am »

In my current world, I've seen a giant rat god (caverns, mountains), a carp god (human god of rivers and something else, equivalent to a Native American trout god.) one that took the form of a monarch butterfly (also humans I think, didn't check the spheres), a fire man god representing the sun among other things, and an oyster god which had the spheres of fishing and some other stuff.

I also spotted a dwarven god who only had one sphere... food and was called the something butter of mushrooms. Lol, maybe their food was so bad that they made a god to make thier food better. The closest RL god may be Dionysus/Bacchus who pretty much was the god of feasting.

You seem to have forgotten His Noodly Appendage.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 02, 2009, 01:42:29 pm »

Horses, donkeys and mules are immortal. They have no [MAXAGE:~]-tag.

Any idea why? Anyhow, it's easy to insert the maxage tag in there and I just did.

You seem to have forgotten His Noodly Appendage.

Oh yea, how could I forget His Noodly Appendage, the Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 95