Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Mystery in SteelCrescent  (Read 1367 times)

Geesuv

• Bay Watcher
  • He needs alcohol to get through the working day
    • View Profile
A Mystery in SteelCrescent
« on: August 27, 2008, 11:52:18 am »

The following tale takes place in the lovely dwarven town of SteelCrescent. Though, before I go into the tale itself I shall explain a little of the background of SteelCrescent.
SteelCrescent is my first attempt at an overland fort. More of a town, really, with architecture based on human towns. This means, naturally, SteelCrescent is a death-trap. Thanks to the lack of any real way to defend the town and the lack of an effective military early efforts of Kobolds, Goblins and Monkeys to undermine the fledgling town were unfortunately effective.
Because of this, many of my early artefacts now lie in Kobold or primate hands and few children grow up in dwarven society. Not to mention Goblin ambushes more numerous than many of the sieges I have witnessed (which, on a side note, are frequently led my Humans and Elves. Leading the elder dwarves to believe that they tall races are in cahoots with the Goblin scum! The elders ordered all elf and man skulls to be turned into totems and sold back to their respective races as a warning) Not to mention the fact that to the north of SteelCrescent is an unholy range of mountains. From which come Zombie Giant Eagles and herds of Zombie Mountain Goats. Mostly The Undead keep to the north but when the nights draw in and dwarves hold their heated Longland Beer close for warmth, hollow and anguished bleating can be heard from those terrifying hills.
Recently though, things are being improved. Many brave migrant come to live in SteelCrescent and teams of markdwarves and assorted melee soldiers have been raised, armed with the best leather armour and looted goblin weapons. Except for a single sparring accident and the odd goblin ambush, things have been good in SteelCrescent. Which brings me onto my tale.

It all began when I received the startling message “Shem Unvarlogem, Baby has drowned” Its not every day I get a message like that so I was quite taken aback. After staring at the message, somewhat startled, for a minute or so I became curious “Why wasn't this Baby hanging off the back of his mother like any good dwarven child?” I asked myself. It was then I decided to investigate the matter.
My first stop was to Shem's thoughts and preferences screen. This indicated that Shem was, indeed, fine! Not mad with despair, which was my first guess. Although it did explain where his mother was, she had apparently been lost to tragedy. On closer inspection it turned out that the mother was Lokum Logemamkol, the soldier that had died in a sparring session.
This painted a rather depressing picture. A Dwarven Baby losing his mother to a tragic accident in an effort to defend SteelCrescent from its enemies, only to die himself. But it didn't explain why Shem found himself drowning. As I mentioned he wasn't depressed at his time of death.
My next step took me to the father, Iton Uvarurvad. Iton is a Speardwarf in the squad “The Noiseless Roads” A successful squad of melee troops that Lokum was also a member of. A quick look at his thoughts an preferences revealed a rather worrying train of thought for Iton “Iton Uvarurvad has been ecstatic lately. He has lost a child to tragedy recently”
Now, this was rather shocking also, but could be explained. Iton had been indulging in some rather excellent food and drink recently so his mood could have been improved significantly even after the unfortunate death. I mean, the only alternitive is that Iton was glad that Shem had died and that would be unthinkable... wouldn't it?
On a whim I decided to have a look at Itons kill list, just to see if he had been doing his job. The first few were standard stuff, a couple goblin, a zombie mountain goat that had wandered down from the hills. Then right at the end, Itons most recent kill. Lokum Paintcounselled, AKA Lokum  Logemamkol! This Speardwarf had killed his own wife in a sparring session! This made things interesting. I had assumed it was an accident but with this and other evidence I could not be sure.
There was one final piece of the investigation I needed to follow, Where and how did  Shem Unvarlogem die. After tracking down the listing of Shems remains that the Clerk had dutifully noted in his books I found the poor Shem lying at the bottom of a stagnant pool. I recognised area immediately, this was the pool I use as my dumping pit. I knew Shem couldn't have fallen in without help but there was no one else in the area.
This was where my investigation stalled. I had no more leads. I knew that Iton had killed his wife and that he was unusually happy about his sons' death, no one could dispute that. But was it a mere accident? Was Iton so hopped up on Sunshine that he didn't care about his son? Or was it cold blooded murder, carried out by a dwarf who just didn't want a family?
I couldn't say, all the evidence was circumstantial. I couldn't do anything to him anyway, even if I were sure. But throughout my investigation there was one fact that still eluded me.

Who really killed Shem Unvarlogem?
Never trust a faerie...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: A Mystery in SteelCrescent
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:02:20 pm »

Water, ofcourse.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:06:24 pm »

The carp! They may not even have been in the waters, but they did it!

That, or the unicorn Mafia.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:11:12 pm »

Intriguing.. how far is it from the barracks where his mother died to your dumping pool that the baby was found in?
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 12:12:38 pm »

the spinning ☼wall of text☼ turns your head into a mass of bloody pulp
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Geesuv

• Bay Watcher
  • He needs alcohol to get through the working day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 12:25:34 pm »

Heh, yeah, I didn't mean to be quite as verbose but once I started I really got into it. Maybe I should have put this in the stories section  :P
Never trust a faerie...

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 03:04:48 pm »

I love how you can see emotions and intentions behind cold numbers and precisely set digital rules.
fox has become enraged!

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 03:12:19 pm »

I liked the investigation.  Babies can crawl over cliffs and pits, though it's strange that he got to your dumping pit.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:36:08 pm »

It was Mr. Green, in the study, with the candlestick.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 06:41:31 pm »

Hm...The baby probably got dumped into the pit by someone, so his murder was simply someone dutifully tossing infants to their deaths in pools.

Another reason why AI will never rule the world. People don't have to be told not to toss babies into pools.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 10:23:50 pm »

It was Mr. Green, in the study, with the candlestick.

Mr. Urist, in the Legendary Dining Room, with the thrown vomit.
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 01:25:05 am »

If you want a real answer, here it is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 12:40:47 pm »

Isn't it obvious? Being the spawn of military parents, he was immediately meant to be drafted as soon as he came of age. After the death of his mother, who may or may not have been intentionally murdered (though the psyche of the widower points more to the intentional), another dwarf must have come along. What many didn't know about this dwarven child must have been a severe deformity, and, like the spartans of our world, the imperfect child was discarded with the rest of the garbage.

Mystery solved?
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 01:34:43 pm »

It was Armok, punishing you for having the audacity to live above-ground, instead of under the earth like a good dwarf.
You have become enlightened, and are no longer a dwarf.
Shame on you.
SHAAAAAMEEEE!
 ;D
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.