Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best. Bloat. Ever.  (Read 9071 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Best. Bloat. Ever.
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »

Actually, to distinguish him from doctors of medicine, I think it would formally be:
Tarn "Toady One" Adams, PhD.

Also, combine that bloat with this powergoal:
PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 10:44:30 pm »

I love reading through the goal list.  It's so hopeful.  The ones that promise more functional activity are my favorites, but the wacky ones are great too.

Bloat17, UNDERWATER DUNGEONS, (Future): There should be undersea dungeons, swimming and diving. The liquid doesn't have to be water, especially in bad bad places. Ice could also be involved, and grottos open to air. Moats could use some of this. If the elves conquer your fortress they could turn it into a nature preserve of some kind.

Bloat82, EXTEND RANSACKING, (Future): Extend ransacking code so that nobles can do it during tantrums. Right now it is restricted to tax collection guards.

Bloat117, SIEGE ENGINES, (Future): Do more with siege engines, more types, more descriptions like animal-headed battering rams and so on. This also leads to extensive improvements that could be made. This involves taking the general "ballista parts" and so on and making them more specific.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 10:51:55 pm »

I like the glasses bloat. It just implies so much!
ALSO the "shoddy" quality modifier.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 01:26:38 am »

Holy shit I can't wait to have a cyborg axedwarf!

After like 8 years of being a soldier, every single limb will be a prosthetic  ;D
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 03:23:43 am »

I hope it is also possible to add mechanic limbs without loosing the normal ones first. A third arm would be very useful when you can't hold 20 shields with one hand anymore. Or re-tool a collosus to function like a wh40k dreadnought.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 03:59:52 am »

I'd like a cyborg dwarf with a prosthetic eye and a brain stolen from a dead goblin macelord.

Anyone ever played IVAN? I like how you could use a scroll of material changing to turn your arm into steel. My brother once accidentally turned his arm into a golem with a scroll in IVAN once. The golem killed the poor defenseless guy.

It would be awesome if DF had something like that.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 06:52:09 am »

Actually, he's pre-doctorate.

Actually Toady is a professor in coding!  ;D

..and yeah Toady's bloats are just legendary!
Some more examples:

Bloat270, COMBAT LOGS AND EVENTS, (Future): Combat log display for dwarf mode. Tracking and grouping of combat events for larger historical events. Important specifics of a given combat event might be kept for the historical record. Combat events could be named in the legends.
Bloat272, WATER POISONING, (Future): Malicious creatures might attempt to poison or otherwise taint your water supply.
Bloat275, REVENGE AND INJURIES, (Future): More revenge-based thoughts that can mitigate injury thoughts. Development of hatred for groups of creatures after an injury or other act.
Bloat278, TRAPS THAT PROPEL THINGS, (Future): Weapon traps cannot propel units, but giant hammer traps should propel units.
etc.

Oh boy, WTB DF v1.0!  ;D

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 06:58:06 am by Tormy »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 09:16:17 am »

The bloats are awesome and the power goals are hilarious (and awesome!)
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 10:28:02 am »

Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 05:48:20 pm »

Heh, I'd expect it such that only someone who is a very high Mathematics attribute could afford to make something like DF and still keep it not too unbalanced. Personally, I don't find most modern, "educated" game designers making revolutionary games - they mostly make a whole series of good games that add a little extra.

Hmm.. I googled up a bunch of other game designers I truly respect. Looks like anyone with a listed education have a degree in stuff like physics, engineering, history, etc. I guess taking engineering teaches way more about balance than taking design directly, and stuff like history and philosophy help a lot more with creative thinking.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 07:35:55 pm »

The only thing I don't understand about Powergoals is that they are represented as "One object" when a lot of them require a series of additions to function... Heck some would require whole Arcs and even Version 2 Arcs.

Are they supposed to be dirrection of what collection of Bloats and requirements should be able to cause in game as a scenario? Or are they just interesting fun stuff Toady would like to be able to happen?

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 09:47:51 pm »

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

That is hilarious!
STRIKE THE ETC.

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 10:27:03 pm »

Sigged.
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 09:08:03 am »

The only thing I don't understand about Powergoals is that they are represented as "One object" when a lot of them require a series of additions to function... Heck some would require whole Arcs and even Version 2 Arcs.

Are they supposed to be dirrection of what collection of Bloats and requirements should be able to cause in game as a scenario? Or are they just interesting fun stuff Toady would like to be able to happen?

Powergoals are a compilation of ideas basically. Hopefully most of them will be coded in.  ;)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 11:01:41 pm »

PowerGoals are things that should be possible to do when the game is "complete."  They don't contain specific features or development items, they should just be possible when all of the core and req items are done (though many require some bloats as well).  At best a PowerGoal is a bloat that makes good story where a Bloat makes good gameplay better.
Pages: 1 [2] 3