Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Resource Managment :>  (Read 2173 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Resource Managment :>
« on: August 23, 2008, 07:10:23 pm »

i want a little more micromanagment:

first in the status-kitchen tab i want a third option for "eat" so i can tell dwarfs to not eat some things (like plants, i want for brewing, raw meat i want for the kitchen, and so on)

and the stone tab should get similar to the kitchen tab. so all known stones are there with the 4 options "construction" (those with no will not show up in the material tab then building walls/floors), "craftmanship" and "mason" and mechanic

because i want my craftdwarfs to use the funky colorful stones, and the masons/constructions to only use the dark colored ones for doors and stuff (or sometimes the other way).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:36:48 am by Rhenaya »
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Micromanagment
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 10:58:57 pm »

More micromanagement!? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND!? Also, what you describe is hardly micromanagement. I consider micromanagement having to enlist dwarves into the military and then use the station command just to stay in the spot I want them. What you describe is resource management.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: Micromanagment
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 01:36:58 am »

More micromanagement!? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND!? Also, what you describe is hardly micromanagement. I consider micromanagement having to enlist dwarves into the military and then use the station command just to stay in the spot I want them. What you describe is resource management.

changed title ;p
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Buugipopuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resource Managment :>
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:49:03 am »

Seconded this.  I would also suggest adding "masonry", "mechanics", "smelter", "craftsdwarfship" and "architecture" stockpile options, which are stone stockpiles with all of the appropriate stones (as set by the menu) automatically enabled and all others disabled which update when the stone tab is modified.  It sucks having to scroll down through the entire list of stones and remove "bauxite", "bituminous coal", "lignite", and "raw adamantine" from every stone stockpile I make so dorfs don't waste time hauling the wrong types of stone to the wrong places, especially if the stockpiles aren't rectangular, and so each stockpile requires multiple configuration actions.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 03:46:08 pm »

especially if the stockpiles aren't rectangular, and so each stockpile requires multiple configuration actions.

You know you can REMOVE portions, right?  Just designate it to fill the space you want, then remove the bits were are where you don't want them.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:21:20 pm »

especially if the stockpiles aren't rectangular, and so each stockpile requires multiple configuration actions.

You know you can REMOVE portions, right?  Just designate it to fill the space you want, then remove the bits were are where you don't want them.

And you do know that you can also designate over buildings/constructions/unmined walls without any problems?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 02:20:01 am »

thirded the idea, and made myself usefull and added it to the new top suggestions thread :)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:22:49 pm »

Bumping and seconding the stone management

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 04:41:29 pm »

i want a little more micromanagment:

first in the status-kitchen tab i want a third option for "eat" so i can tell dwarfs to not eat some things (like plants, i want for brewing, raw meat i want for the kitchen, and so on)

and the stone tab should get similar to the kitchen tab. so all known stones are there with the 4 options "construction" (those with no will not show up in the material tab then building walls/floors), "craftmanship" and "mason" and mechanic

because i want my craftdwarfs to use the funky colorful stones, and the masons/constructions to only use the dark colored ones for doors and stuff (or sometimes the other way).
I think it would work better if the relevant workshops got an extra option in their build menus that let you designate what kind of stone you wanted them to use.  i.e. "Build Table", "Build Coffer", then "Build with certain stone", from which you then choose a stone and choose what you want to build with it.  That would have the same end effect as having to reconfigure your entire stone management every time you want to make an exception.

That or similar methods along that line, such as setting "only use X" for a certain workshop or whatever.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.