Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100443 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #540 on: September 23, 2008, 05:24:11 am »

This just in, apparently if you complain about Spore's DRM on the official forum, you may get your license to play the game revoked and be forced to buy a new one! :D

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26564

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/3869.page
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:28:39 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 23, 2008, 05:42:21 am »

Don't worry.
Here we always ANTI-EA...
I meant anti-buying-things-from-EA

Consclusion: Pirate makes right

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 23, 2008, 05:51:55 am »

On a side note, I just noticed that when you create stuff in Spore, the game automagikally saves an animated .gif of your creating process. It's super sweet! I'm really regarding this game more like LEGO than a game now.

I really didn't notice this before. Was this always there?

Here's a .gif of my siamese-butterfly-pedestal evolving into a mango pedestal.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 23, 2008, 07:20:00 am »

I somehow doubt that Ioric

Most likely what happened is they spammed the forum, which has already happened, with DRM complaints. Spamming sounds like a reasonable offense.

"Consclusion: Pirate makes right"

No... The Conclusion is: Don't buy the game

I am starting to get REALLY good at making hair, alright well... two-three hairstyles... I am surprised at how well it is going

On a side note: I find it hillarious when people consider being kicked off a forum to be a constitutional error due to Free Speach when frankly Free Speach allows you the right to kick people off your property for whatever reason as long as it is private property.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:25:51 am by Neonivek »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 23, 2008, 08:40:27 am »

Frankly, I dont understand this DRM stuff at all. What is the point in it? Spore -for example- was leaked before the game was released even. Basically EA is just pissing off the people who actually buy these damned games.  ::)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 23, 2008, 08:44:17 am »

The DRM is supposed to do one or two things...

1) The Goody Goody Effect: It is supposed to stop common piracy which is non-internet based where people bring their games to a friend's house and allow them to play it until they never buy it in real life.
-People don't seem to realise that this is a LOT more common then they think. Honestly who hasn't borrowed games from a friend? You will find that more games are "Borrowed" then games that are simply stollen off the net.

2) The Evil Evil Effect: It is supposed to stop people from selling their games to a videogame store and allowing someone else to pick it up.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 23, 2008, 08:56:27 am »

After reading this, I'm actually convinced that RPGCodex's forums aren't filled with moron.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 23, 2008, 09:06:17 am »

After reading this, I'm actually convinced that RPGCodex's forums aren't filled with moron.

Are you being Sarcastic?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 23, 2008, 09:38:41 am »

What the hell is this?!  :o

"Please do not continue to post theses thread or you account may be at risk of banning which in some cases would mean you would need to buy a new copy to play Spore."

No comment... >:(

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 23, 2008, 09:40:26 am »

What the hell is this?!  :o

"Please do not continue to post theses thread or you account may be at risk of banning which in some cases would mean you would need to buy a new copy to play Spore."

No comment... >:(

Ignoring the fact that it is a downright lie... You can still play Spore you just no longer have access to Sporepedia or the Forums unless you buy another copy of Spore (Or download the Spore Demo... or buy the 10 dollar Spore Creature Creator game)

Well unless I am misinformed.

To my knowledge even Pirates don't have access to Sporepedia

Though If I am mistaken then it isn't anything new... MMORPGs have been doing it forever AND you can just Crack Spore. (Which people Spamming the DRM on the Spore forums probably have done anyhow.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:03:04 am by Neonivek »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 23, 2008, 10:33:47 am »

1) The Goody Goody Effect: It is supposed to stop common piracy which is non-internet based where people bring their games to a friend's house and allow them to play it until they never buy it in real life.
-People don't seem to realise that this is a LOT more common then they think. Honestly who hasn't borrowed games from a friend? You will find that more games are "Borrowed" then games that are simply stollen off the net.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this one. (Except from EA's moneygrubbing point of view, of course). After all, I bought the game, and if I lend it to a friend I can't use it. It's no different from me lending a friend a book, or even a lawnmower really. Sure, some people who might have otherwise bought one of those things may not because I lent it to them. On the other hand, most of the people I know that'll happily borrow stuff to use and then be done with wouldn't have bothered to buy the game/book/whatever anyway. The only reason they're borrowing it is because they can do so without having to pay any money for it.

EA is just...being evil for the sake of getting money. There really isn't anything else going on here.

EDIT: Found this article online: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/19/AR2008091900129.html

Muhahahaha. I think maybe EA'll be changing their practices after this. Backlash can be a wonderful thing in a market economy!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:37:10 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 23, 2008, 01:11:58 pm »

"Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this one. (Except from EA's moneygrubbing point of view, of course). After all, I bought the game, and if I lend it to a friend I can't use it. It's no different from me lending a friend a book, or even a lawnmower really"

If you look at the license agreements for your videogames and all that... you will notice that they outright say you cannot let your friend borrow your game.

You want to know something else? IT ISN'T ANYTHING NEW!!! Videogames in the 80s not ONLY said you couldn't let a friend borrow it... but guess what? You werent allowed to have it on more then one computer or system.

Frankly I am surprised at the sheer ammount of people who never read this compared that it is pretty standard. Honestly have you read them? They even say the company you bought it from can walk right into your house and take your copy of the game.

HECK you don't even own a lot of your videogames... your "Licensed" it...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 23, 2008, 01:20:56 pm »

Frankly I am surprised at the sheer ammount of people who never read this compared that it is pretty standard. Honestly have you read them? They even say the company you bought it from can walk right into your house and take your copy of the game.
Which is yet another reason not to buy licensed games. :P

Seriously though, the first agent of any company that will come to get anything from me will have that anything stuffed down his throat. ;)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 23, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

Oh, yeah, I've read some of those. They're really rather extreme. Not that anyone really pays attention to them, or that the vast majority of "offenses" people commit are tracked or prosecuted in any way, shape or form. It's nonsense, really, and I'm glad to see that a lot of independent publishers recognize this and are moving away from it.

I was just looking at it from an objective standpoint, comparing it to other types of objects that one purchases. Books are a great example, since they're both forms of entertainment. And when you buy a book no one tries to stop you from lending it out, or selling it to a used book store.

Of course...books are a lot cheaper then games, which may have something to do with it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 23, 2008, 01:28:03 pm »

"Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this one. (Except from EA's moneygrubbing point of view, of course). After all, I bought the game, and if I lend it to a friend I can't use it. It's no different from me lending a friend a book, or even a lawnmower really"

If you look at the license agreements for your videogames and all that... you will notice that they outright say you cannot let your friend borrow your game.

You want to know something else? IT ISN'T ANYTHING NEW!!! Videogames in the 80s not ONLY said you couldn't let a friend borrow it... but guess what? You werent allowed to have it on more then one computer or system.

HECK you don't even own a lot of your videogames... your "Licensed" it...

Just because they make you agree to something like that doesn't mean that it would stand up in a court of law.  If a software company says they have the right to barge into your home and take your game if you break their agreement you can call the police and charge them with breaking and entering.  I'd bet a jury would always side with the customer in a circumstance like that.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if EA would be forced to make their user agreement more lax if someone sued them over their Nazi-like copy rules.

They may only be getting away with it now because nobody has made a serious attempt to question its constitutionality.

The more EA becomes the biggest guy on the block, the more they will catch the attention of the government.  Just look at Microsoft's endless feud with the feds.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:30:24 pm by lumin »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 97