Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Doctor Horrible (First post is safe but otherwise beware of SPOILERS)  (Read 8799 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Horrible
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 05:50:14 pm »

This is, a very good show. I lvoe the cast, i love Whedon. I love hte story! Its everyone/thing i ever wanted. And i love the ending, raises a few questions.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 05:53:37 pm »

About equine ethics?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is one spoiled thread. ;) :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 05:54:55 pm »

Oh and Cthulhu, do you really know Nathan Fillian? Or is this just a rumour you've made to make your life seem all that amazing bit better? :P

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 05:55:46 pm »

the movie was great, but the ending was kind of weird... it feels like there's supposed to be more there...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 05:58:22 pm »

Uhh.  Um, uh, y-yeah, I know Nathan Fillian.  We go way back.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 06:30:14 pm »

the movie was great, but the ending was kind of weird... it feels like there's supposed to be more there...

Well they are thinking about a sequel.  Though I'm not really sure what you mean by weird.  It was supposed to be kind of weird.  The whole movie was.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 06:52:57 pm »

Also, Bad Horse? Best damn villain ever.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 07:20:42 pm »

Also, Bad Horse? Best damn villain ever.

Bad Horse... yes.  Those dark eyes... like portals to oblivion.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 07:29:47 pm »

Dr. Horrible?

I honestly thought, when I first saw the title, that it was about a doctor treating you wrongly or in a bad way or soemthing...

"Rectal thermometer? What rectal thermometer? Oh, you mean this one?"
*jab*
"...Help me..."

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 07:35:21 pm »

This time he's not a MD.  He's got a PhD in horribleness.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 09:55:16 pm »

For those of you upset about the way the movie ended and trying to make sense of it:

Y'know, cause that's what all the cool kids do with their spare time.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 04:32:55 pm »

here's an interesting theroy I stumbled upon:
Quote from: mloston07 
(My Interpretation of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog)

When Billy said "a thing" at the end I noticed it was off tune... (Notice how Dr. Horrible is in tune compared to Billy at the end.)

What I got from the ending is that Billy is a socially awkward loner who isn't very popular and is in need of an "edge." Dr. Horrible is a character that Billy concocts in his head to seem cool/powerful/confident/...traits that Billy lacks.

Billy wants to be with Penny but in his mind he feels that Penny would never go for him.

Captain Hammer is a metaphor for the typical egotistical conceited jock that girls stereotypically go for. In this case the girl of Billy's dreams falls for a Johnny Snow much akin to Captain Hammer.

Penny sees Billy as a "buddy" much to Billy's dismay.

I took Penny's death as a metaphor for Billy letting go of Penny to move on...(In the end Billy realizes that he could never be with Penny).

Billy lies to himself...in thinking that Penny's departure meant nothing.

Billy shows his true self as a loner...hence the pie reference. On the suface there's the crust Billy's loner side. In the center there's Dr. Horrible--- the "edge" that no one sees which makes Billy cool in his own eyes, and the third layer is the crust again.

Dr. Horrible is simply what's inside of Billy...an angry side that wants to burst free and be respected.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 05:34:04 pm »

That's an interesting theory, but I don't think it quite works.  First off, the last note is not off-key, it's just minor, which I think is appropriate given the tone of the song.  Second, though Billy is dressed in street clothes at the end, if you look in the background there is still all the Dr. Horrible lab equipment behind him, which wouldn't be there if it were all some kind of imagined world.

I think this idea sounds like it comes from a student (or professor) of literary theory, who is in the habit of making things wayyyy more complex than they are intended to be.  (I had to take a lot of theory in college and never liked it.)  It's certainly possible, but I don't think it's really very likely what Whedon intended the meaning to be.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 08:38:04 pm »

Wow, talk about an overactive imagination...  I mean the guy who wrote this, not Billy.  There are a few things that might make someone think this, but there are considerably more that indicate that it's simply meant to be real.  Two off the top of my head are that if this was all a metaphor then there was no point at which it showed the reality of things.  Secondly, if he imagined Dr. Horrible as an alter ego, then he would have been considerably more badass, and that whole thing about getting into the evil league of evil would have been totally meaningless.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:47:13 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 11:30:47 am »

About the ending:

In other news, I loved this show. It is so different from other series and most things on TV. Especially the characters that are non-stereotypic by being stereotypic is something I really much enjoyed. Also the show had the best joke I have ever heard in the "a-joke-so-bad-it's-great"-category. You all should know what it is, but if you're not sure, click below.

P.S. Anyone else felt like watching Sweeney Todd again after seeing this?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:56:24 am by LASD »
Pages: 1 [2] 3