Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136058 times)

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #225 on: October 01, 2008, 07:56:50 pm »

I like the idea of voids or caverns like people are saying. It could just be the same template as a magma/water pool with nothing in it, except maybe chasm creatures, GCS, and other cave eco-system type stuff. Could open to the surface and be a sink hole.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 01, 2008, 09:49:37 pm »

I added a mention of possible oil based creatures to the Black Gold! entry.

Everything else since last update has either been discussion of existing entries, suggesting things already on the list in some form (not complaining...it is a big list), things that can be implied from said list, or things just outside of the list's parameters. I want to write "list one" more time.

:P

I'm glad that the posts in the Voting thread no longer bash UD so much. When we were on top, all we heard was whining. But I am a little offended that there isn't much criticism for improved hauling.

I'm now removing all the "don't vote for UD" markers.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 02, 2008, 09:49:06 am »

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:37:04 am by Granite26 »

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 02, 2008, 11:20:48 am »

that is one annoying site....long load times, and no ability to directly reference the page.

Neat little curiosity, but hardly as shocking as the article portrayed it. During that period of this planet's history there would have been a lot of chain reactions, and it is not surprising that some of them would have a form of natural regulation.

I really don't want to add nuclear powered geyser to the list, however ;)

Although we might need to think about potential effects and uses for pitchblende now.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 02, 2008, 11:40:20 am »

I'd really like to see it as emergent behaviour (possibly pitchblende as a part of an aquifer layer or right under an aquifer layer generates heat and becomes radioactive for a few years.)

It's probably a bad idea, but still...  Urist cancels dig : teeth falling out.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 02, 2008, 05:56:03 pm »

I'd really like to see it as emergent behaviour (possibly pitchblende as a part of an aquifer layer or right under an aquifer layer generates heat and becomes radioactive for a few years.)

It's probably a bad idea, but still...  Urist cancels dig : teeth falling out.

Uranium ore doesn't produce heat. Pure Uranium does though, and it even kills people if its massed together, reactivity accidents, ect. Only thing pitchblende does is emit radon gas, which I'd rather not see implimented in DF.

If Urist could somehow smelt Pitcheblende into pure uraninum, that WOULD BE AWESOME, but its beyond the scope and setting of the game, I guess. I compromise by just selling pitcheblende crafts to the elves, because purple stuff looks horrible in my fortress.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 02, 2008, 05:57:54 pm »

Well Uranium could be altered so that it is actually Radioactive with Magic rather then radioactive with Protons and Neutrons and Electrons

So odd magical things happen which could be as dangerous as it is helpful as it is silly

Mc.Dwarf Cancels Dig, Pickaxe too heavy to lift

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 02, 2008, 08:29:52 pm »

I always thought adamantine would radiate magic. Uranium has little place in DF.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 02, 2008, 08:44:08 pm »

Adamantine is kinda just indestructable... I don't notice anything very magical about it

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 02, 2008, 08:51:18 pm »

Adamantine is kinda just indestructable... I don't notice anything very magical about it

There IS the whole sealing away demons thing.

And the fact that it is indestructible. Nope, nothing magical about that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Joutilas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 03, 2008, 01:25:58 am »

Just suspend your disbelief; it's indestructible with current technology.

My take on UD

Chaos/Evil/Dark (etc.) Dwarves

Currently, underground is a bit boring as there is very little life there. I think it'd add quite bit into DF setting if the deep bowels of earth were inhabited by intelligent creatures.

Also, currently dwarves hold the unparalled technological edge in DF universe. To challenge them, one could introduce a corrupt offspring of the dwarven race. They dwell deep underground without ever entering the surface. Their societies are a corrupt version of dwarven values, based on slavery and bitter thoughts created from extended periods of being sober.

One would encounter the chaos/dark/evil dwarves late in the game, either by digging into their underground city (or a small part of it) or by encountering their scouting party (which enters by digging into the map from an edge).

I probably wouldn't go stealing directly from D&D / Warhammer, but rather creating something that fits into DF lore. Just think of what would be the opposite of the current dwarven society and add some unique touches.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 03, 2008, 02:57:06 am »

Well, Toady's planning to replace zombies and skeletons with more "general" (which probably means randomized) curses.  So there might be whole civilizations of corrupted dwarves, conceivably.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 03, 2008, 04:47:53 am »

Dark Dwarves have come up before and I have not added them to the civilizations system for two reasons:

Just what Footkerchief said....

And dark dwarves would not be a new race: they would be a subrace. They are still dwarves. If you included dark dwarves as a separate entity, you should also include subraces of humans, elves and goblins.

that having been said:

I also think that a dwarven civilization could be a 100% subterranean. Imagine three or four fortresses linked by tunnels and caverns, that can only be entered from the surface via an abandoned mine shaft in the bottom of a chasm that was left after a vein was cleared. Cave adaption is universal: they never go outside.

The very same civilization might be at war with your dwarven civilization. They also might be cannibals and slave traders.

In that situation, I am pretty sure your dwarves would call them dark dwarves, no matter what their genetic code says.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 03, 2008, 06:02:50 am »

...I probably wouldn't go stealing directly from D&D / Warhammer,...
But you did, nevertheless.. Why should the underground civ be the corrupt one? Why should there only be two civs, polarized in their attitudes? Why not conflicts between groups that do not have fundamental differences?

Anyway, different dwarven civilizations should be more than able enough to contain each other. Also, expect a balance of power based on biomes. Human cavalry is going to have a hard time in the mountains or the forest, elven tactics are rubbish against a dwarf fortress, dwarves will have major trouble chasing humans on horseback, with ships or even on foot.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 03, 2008, 07:23:02 am »

Well, Toady's planning to replace zombies and skeletons with more "general" (which probably means randomized) curses.  So there might be whole civilizations of corrupted dwarves, conceivably.

I always thought what he meant was that he was going to take "Curses" out of hardcode and put it into the raws so that Vampirism, Werewolves, Ghosts, and all that could be put in; or at least start upon the path of such.

Anyhow I don't like the idea of eternal rock sissor paper battles between three races... especially since there is four main races and soon to be more minor races. Five if you consider Kobolds to be a major race.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 46