Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136043 times)

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #255 on: October 09, 2008, 10:39:53 pm »

Velociraptors. This needs more velociraptors. Deep in cave systems underground, all Jules Verne Journey to the Center of the Earth. They hunt in packs, ambush, stealth, and eat war dogs and dwarf miners like tic-tacs.

And other dinosaurs. Semi-Megabeast Tyrannosaurus Magus Rex, magical lizard tyrant powers GO! Taking down two squads for breakfast before going to gargle with magma to get the cloth out from between it's teeth.

Red Dwarf needs Dinosaurs BADLY.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 09, 2008, 10:45:33 pm »

Semimegabeasts currently differ from simply powerful creatures by also being sapient creatures (and also immortal)

So I don't know if a T-rex would count as a (Semi)Megabeast
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:49:25 pm by Neonivek »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 09, 2008, 10:48:26 pm »

Bronze colossi aren't sapient, nor should they be. According to the raws, they don't even *need* to think. Hydras and dragons also can't learn or speak. None of them are sapient in the least.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 09, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »

Edited and corrected it.

I have yet to see however a vanilla non-sapient Semimegabeast though... despite the fact that there are many powerful creatures that could more then defeat their fair share of Semimegabeasts

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 09, 2008, 11:06:07 pm »

Immortal, you say? I think a few squads would like to take up your offer on that! SOMEONE CHAIN UP THE NOBLES AT THE DOOR, I WANT ME SOME HYDRABAIT. BRING ME THE SOAPMAKER TOO! YOU HAVE OUTLIVED YOUR USEFULNESS.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 09, 2008, 11:08:36 pm »

Immortal has more then one meaning.

In this case I mean they don't age to death

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 09, 2008, 11:36:21 pm »

Anything that makes you think.... "The dwarves dug too greedily... and too deep!"
Signature goes here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 10, 2008, 03:45:32 am »

Still... I'd like it if you could, instead of train sapient megabeasts, educate them?

I'd love to have a collosus walking around being friends with everyone, and when he dies his statue is reverently sold. for plump helmets. THAT'S SOCIETY FOR YA!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2008, 09:26:31 pm »

If you want to have a chat about magic and mega-beasts, then have it.....elsewhere.

Part of the deal of actually maintaining an idea thread is that I have to read each and every post.

For 16 pages of discussion this thread was able to stay more or less on track, but in the last day or so your inane babble has added a page and a half of useless rubbish.

So stay on topic please.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 15, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

I haven't read the whole thread, so I dunno if this has been mentioned.

How about some HFS, like a long-buried ruin from some ancient civilization. Within could lie the secrets of their advanced technologies. Specifically, steam power. The dorfs could either find old machines and learn to replicate them, or find ancient blueprints. The machines themselves could be as follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The uses of this steam technology could be quite variable. There is the obvious use of steam traps, but there is also power transference. Perhaps steam could be more efficient than axels over a long distance, but less feasible for short ones. Maybe a steam-pipe could melt ice around it, or improve dwarf moods. A tantruming dwarf could destroy a pipe section, unleashing hell-arity.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 15, 2008, 03:08:50 pm »

Hasn't Toady shot down steam stuff already?
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2008, 07:54:28 am »

I got one for you;

Heaven.

After all, dwarves are creatures of the earth, it would make sense that any afterlife they believe in (unless they worship the god of the sky I suppose) would be deep underground. This would also explain in part why the demons were chained beneath the earth; as the saying goes, keep your friends close, your tentacle demons closer.

In game, this would basically result in another form of the glowing pits, but rather than being surrounded by adamantium, the interior would be filled with some sort of wondorous (read expensive) material.

Opening the pearly gates would have no negative effect initially, but if you decided to grab the treasure, all hell (in a manner of speaking) would break loose. Leaving the pits open and unpillaged (or maybe, removing the guardians) however, would allow the dwarves to interact with their deceased. E.g. those that lost their loved ones would get happy thoughts, something like "Urist has been comforted by his mother's spirit lately", whereas deceased grudges would yield "Urist was haunted by his old foe recently".

If you really want to go into detail, make the heaven resemble the spheres of the local gods, so a god of smithies would have lots of smelters, forges, and adamantium anvils laying around, all the while overseen by an avatar wielding an enormous blessed hammer. Conversely, the god of wealth and jewels has a huge pile of coins and gems, guarded by a horde of Gold and Platinum Men.

On a related note (which I am pretty sure this has been suggested already, but meh), what's locked under the mountains (good or evil) should influence the surroundings. So a demon pit would, at year 0, be in a savage mountain range. However, as time progresses, the mountain range would get progessively worse, becoming a terrifying hellhole by the time worldgen ends.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2008, 11:03:58 am »

This seems like a good thread to note that the newest dev update on underground features is fucking awesome

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2008, 12:08:45 pm »

Opening the pearly gates would have no negative effect initially, but if you decided to grab the treasure, all hell (in a manner of speaking) would break loose. Leaving the pits open and unpillaged (or maybe, removing the guardians) however, would allow the dwarves to interact with their deceased. E.g. those that lost their loved ones would get happy thoughts, something like "Urist has been comforted by his mother's spirit lately", whereas deceased grudges would yield "Urist was haunted by his old foe recently".

I rather like this idea.  Some very rare places in the earth where people can be comforted from whatever loss they have had.  Similarly, places that just start to drive people crazy.  Maybe this particular cave structure generates bad thoughts: "Urist is very unhappy.  Urist has been disturbed by voices in the deep lately."  Eventually, every dwarf that is unhappy enough goes insane, so it would be a pit of evil that makes people crazy!  I think things like this would be exceedingly rare and would require that the spheres of the deity they represent line up perfectly with the spheres represented by the landscape.  Maybe each deity would have ONE such location on the world map.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2008, 01:34:58 pm »

Haunted/maddening places seem like a great idea. Or, to generalize further, areas without any obvious visible uniqueness and more subtle effects. When/if above-ground features get in, haunted forests would be interesting.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 46