Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it best to leave easy mandates as long as possible?  (Read 1697 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it best to leave easy mandates as long as possible?
« on: August 03, 2008, 12:54:30 pm »

I've just had a noble make an easily fulfilled mandate (3 battle axes).

It's occurred to me that if I make these straight away, he could come up with another mandate soon after, so it might be a better idea to leave this easy one as long as possible, as AFAIK they never make another mandate while one is still outstanding.

Pexxithan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it best to leave easy mandates as long as possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:27:26 pm »

You could try.

However, remember that filling mandates = happy noble.

Happy nobles are less likely to imprison someone if a mandate is not met.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 02:20:10 pm »

I've just had a noble make an easily fulfilled mandate (3 battle axes).

It's occurred to me that if I make these straight away, he could come up with another mandate soon after, so it might be a better idea to leave this easy one as long as possible, as AFAIK they never make another mandate while one is still outstanding.

I've had nobles with multiple mandates.  At least, multiple "do not export" mandates.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 02:23:05 pm »

If you can pull it off, it might be worth doing.  It would be really risky though, because one distraction is liable to end up with the Hammerer paying somebody a visit.

The only reason I would even consider trying this is to see if you can fill two mandates at once.  For example, if there's a mandate for three battle axes and another noble mandates three copper items, you can just make three copper battle axes.  Even then though, it'd be too risky for it to be worth it IMO.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 05:29:31 pm »

well, you would need to know exactly how long you have... if you do (and if it's constant) that's great

Keep in mind that you have to remember to 'set aside' whatever materials you might need.  Including preventing fey moods from getting them, if you are short stocked.

It takes a certain amount of time for sometime to be made.  Don't forget.

And don't forget that your worker might decide to go on break for a while.  Have a drink.  Eat.  Sleep.  Attend a party.  Eat.  Before getting around to that easy mandate.  And it's be stupid to have a hammerer permanently cripple a worker at random for that....

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 05:26:21 am »

Right now my Countess is demanding 3 gold items & 2 cabinets, so I have to say that nobles don't wait for a mandate to be fulfilled before making their next demand.  All that waiting "until the last minute" would do is increase the chance that they'll pass multiple mandates, making filling them harder - not easier.

Also, I tried to fulfill both her demands at the sawe time by making golden cabinets.  It didn't work, damn it!  The first golden cabinet only counted as a gold item so now she still wants 2 cabinets, although only 2 more gold items.

I've noticed this same thing with multiple nobles/mandates like LegacyCWAL mentions: one asking for 3 battle-axes and another for 3 copper items.  ie. each mandate must be fulfilled separately: 3 copper battle-axes won't fill both.  (But six will, of course...)

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 07:35:03 am »

Right now my Countess is demanding 3 gold items & 2 cabinets, so I have to say that nobles don't wait for a mandate to be fulfilled before making their next demand.  All that waiting "until the last minute" would do is increase the chance that they'll pass multiple mandates, making filling them harder - not easier.

Also, I tried to fulfill both her demands at the sawe time by making golden cabinets.  It didn't work, damn it!  The first golden cabinet only counted as a gold item so now she still wants 2 cabinets, although only 2 more gold items.

I've noticed this same thing with multiple nobles/mandates like LegacyCWAL mentions: one asking for 3 battle-axes and another for 3 copper items.  ie. each mandate must be fulfilled separately: 3 copper battle-axes won't fill both.  (But six will, of course...)

That's weird. I've never had any trouble doubling up on mandates before. For example, the duchess consort recently wanted three tin items and two flasks. I gave him two tin flasks and a zinc one and altogether they were enough to fulfill both mandates.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 12:02:33 pm »

I guess it's back to Plan A then.

...lessee, I'll need some bauxite and a couple mechanisms...
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 09:37:02 am »

That's weird. I've never had any trouble doubling up on mandates before. For example, the duchess consort recently wanted three tin items and two flasks. I gave him two tin flasks and a zinc one and altogether they were enough to fulfill both mandates.

A 'Make flask' job makes three flasks from one bar, so it sounds like you made six tin flasks and three zinc flasks...  (Side note: this is the easiest way I've found to fulfill mandates using non-native materials)
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

JadeFalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 11:34:50 am »

Works with goblets also.