Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349556 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1905 on: February 08, 2009, 05:32:15 am »

my point was that bottomless pits and the fissures-in-the-earth are a good place to start for spawning cave creatures because they extend off the bottom of the map.

Precisely! However, without climbing, you either need a ground-level "shelf" adjacent to the chasmy bits for access to the caves, and/or small chasmy bits akin to the Glowing Pit tiles in HFS.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: February 08, 2009, 05:21:54 pm »

Anything off the edge of the map is fair game for spawning. So: River edges, underground river edges, chasms at the edge of the map, chasms at the bottom of the map, magma tube bottoms... and the top layer of the sky.

Imagine eldritch horrors descending from the heavens. Mwahaha.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1907 on: February 08, 2009, 06:12:58 pm »

Quote from: Flaede
Will disease be turn-off-able in the init file like invasions and cave-ins?

Is it specifically infected wounds you are worried about?  I wouldn't mind, but it might be worth it to put everybody through the horror for one release so things can be ironed out.

Quote from: Warlord255
This warrants a question. How will poisons/weapon coatings operate in dwarf mode?

I'm not going to allow that until the ethical framework and repercussions are in place.  Dwarves with poison weapons seem strange to me, so I'd like to do that stuff first before I worry about the interface, jobs and storage.  That is, you'd be allowed to make that decision, but it would cause quite a fuss in general.

Quote from: LordNagash
Actually, speaking of climbing: Is that coming up in the near future?

Probably not this release.  Kind of like flying in the sense that it causes various path troubles, so dwarves wouldn't be able to do it, anyway.

And as far as the spawning goes, yeah, the edges will be milked when available.  The 2D version did all of the river and lava spawning from the edges (generally hidden in ambush, so sometimes it wasn't easy to tell).  Although I'm not sure if spawning is the right word, since it actually takes them from the populations -- the chasm ones spawned at chasm tiles in 2D, though.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: February 08, 2009, 06:17:52 pm »

This warrants a question. How will poisons/weapon coatings operate in dwarf mode?

I'm not going to allow that until the ethical framework and repercussions are in place.  Dwarves with poison weapons seem strange to me, so I'd like to do that stuff first before I worry about the interface, jobs and storage.  That is, you'd be allowed to make that decision, but it would cause quite a fuss in general.

Why do the words "Geneva Convention" pop into my head? :D
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: February 08, 2009, 09:02:55 pm »

Another toady answer flurrish on the Future of the fortress' list of development items.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: February 09, 2009, 05:36:30 am »

Anything off the edge of the map is fair game for spawning. So: River edges, underground river edges, chasms at the edge of the map, chasms at the bottom of the map, magma tube bottoms... and the top layer of the sky.

Imagine eldritch horrors descending from the heavens. Mwahaha.

Urist Haulsocks has been ecstatic lately.  He was disgusted by a miasma recently.  He witnessed a monstrous constellation of unnatural light, like a glutted swarm of corpse-fed fireflies dancing over an accursed marsh recently.  He lost a friend to tragedy recently.  He witnessed something black... that wasn't a tree, something big and black and ropy, just squatting there, waiting, with ropy arms, squirming and reaching recently.  He has dined in a legendary dining room recently.

Urist Haulsocks, Cthulhu Mythos Investigator, has gone stark raving mad!
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: February 09, 2009, 10:32:51 am »

Why do the words "Geneva Convention" pop into my head? :D

Expect unreasonable petitions from the Elfs.

"We the Elves from Clearbottom of the mangled puppies have come here today before the Grand Counsil of Ironcluttered to petition that the eating of butchered animals be declared a crime against the coalition of all moral peoples!"

"Also the act of non-proliferation of wooden products has been ruthlessly disregarded by the filthy dwarves of Frostybarrels again!
It is well known that only US Elfs can be entrusted with the workings of the wood and the wise Counsil recognised this in the passing of said act.
We will send a tree-keeping force, in order to enforce the wise law of our mighty coalition.
Once there, all dwarfs found to bear axes or axe bears will be arrested and eaten as is only just and fair."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:36:11 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: February 10, 2009, 03:03:13 am »

[...] Once there, all dwarfs found to bear axes or axe bears will be arrested and eaten as is only just and fair."

Bwahahaha. I wonder what the Elves care about axing undead things.

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: February 10, 2009, 03:22:31 pm »

[...] Once there, all dwarfs found to bear axes or axe bears will be arrested and eaten as is only just and fair."

Bwahahaha. I wonder what the Elves care about axing undead things.

I wonder if they'll still eat them.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: February 10, 2009, 03:28:41 pm »

[

Well yeah, that is true...dwarves running around with poisoned weapons might seems a bit strange. However, specific units -like rangers- should be able to use poisoned arrows for example. Also, I am just wondering about sieges or armies...Goblins/Kobolds [or modded in civs] should use units equipped with poisoned weapons. I suppose we will have that in the vanilla game [Dwarf mode of course]?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: February 10, 2009, 03:43:43 pm »

A better question:  Will elves eat undead megabeasts during worldgen?

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 10, 2009, 05:08:50 pm »

Ha I can trump that, will elves eat undead megabeasts composed of the undead bodies of elf children.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: February 10, 2009, 05:20:46 pm »

Ha I can trump that, will elves eat undead megabeasts composed of the undead bodies of elf children.

I'm picturing giant patchwork constructs shambling along, elf heads poking out at random all over... and lets put one of those beefy arms on the back of his neck for good measure. All arms wielding wooden weapons, naturally.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: February 11, 2009, 02:00:37 am »

and lets put one of those beefy arms on the back of his neck for good measure.
Reminder that dwarves admire sea serpents (depicted as an S) for their Majesty.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: February 11, 2009, 02:18:09 am »

[PREFSTRING:consummate V's]
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 148