Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349027 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1080 on: December 19, 2008, 09:48:52 am »

hmmm... a [CONCAT:<cattegory>] would be nice, now. it would shorten the 7neckheads part by 30 tags, or 6 lines. and i see no other reason for the cattegory tag yet.

but, toady has his reasons, so i won't stop him.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1081 on: December 19, 2008, 09:53:32 am »

Yeah, it was kind of a brainless paste job in the body file.  The categories are used by the body detail plans and the dwarf to grab body parts without referring to their specific tokens.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 19, 2008, 10:02:35 am »

if a dwarf likes dwarves with a specific eye color more, wouldn't a dwarv that likes the color of livers like, well...everything that has a liver ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 19, 2008, 10:05:41 am »

If they are a butcher, maybe.  I haven't coded anything like that, but it would be an interesting thought to phrase.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 19, 2008, 10:11:42 am »

"Gee, Urist, how come you like kittens so much ?"

"You know, Urist, their livers are so pretty."
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 19, 2008, 10:14:06 am »

Nil Butcherblades has been ecstatic lately.  She has delighted in the color of entrails lately.  She has taken pleasure in slaughter recently.

Also, I see the token to define how quickly a dwarf grows, but not one that defines how quickly individual bodyparts grow.  Am I just missing something?

Oh, and what's the plan for determining to which caste a child belongs when it's born?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:15:46 am by LumenPlacidum »

B0013

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 19, 2008, 10:14:46 am »

So right now dwarves have the same probability to have brown eyes or some strange colours like orange?
>{) >(> })o)  Fishes!

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 19, 2008, 10:27:28 am »

I wonder if we can have ages of maturity be caste-specific.  Also, is it possible to specify a caste without the capacity to procreate?  It would be vital for a bee-like drone/queen/male structure.

I know these aren't the final raws, but when those final raws exist, we'll need a definitive list of which tokens are caste-specific and which ones are not.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 19, 2008, 10:33:37 am »

Also, I see the token to define how quickly a dwarf grows, but not one that defines how quickly individual bodyparts grow.  Am I just missing something?

Oh, and what's the plan for determining to which caste a child belongs when it's born?

I haven't done anything with the dwarves' proportions, but you can tack an APP_MOD_RATE on any modifier, including a LENGTH modifier on a bp.

So right now dwarves have the same probability to have brown eyes or some strange colours like orange?

Yeah, I haven't done anything with it, but the numbers are changeable.  I just chose the earthy/gem/metal ones for fun.  Not sure what the end state will be.

I wonder if we can have ages of maturity be caste-specific.  Also, is it possible to specify a caste without the capacity to procreate?  It would be vital for a bee-like drone/queen/male structure.

I know these aren't the final raws, but when those final raws exist, we'll need a definitive list of which tokens are caste-specific and which ones are not.

Ages of maturity are one of the caste-specific tags.  If you move them down below the caste declarations, you can make them vary between castes.  Most of the tags are caste-specific, but a few of them aren't.  I can clarify the specifics later.

For a worker/soldier antperson right now, you could just use [NO_GENDER] or leave off the [MALE] or [FEMALE].  All the [FEMALE] tag means in the game is that they give birth after mating with a [MALE], and additionally they get the female symbol in some places I guess.  I don't suppose adding an extra tag for it would be a lot of work, but it's not crucial either.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 19, 2008, 10:58:01 am »

Toady, all of the creature informations will be displayed? I am just inspecting the dwarf template:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/spoilers/raws-12-18-08/creature_standard.txt

So -for example-: Actual body size, hair length, eye color, age, beard etc. will be displayed?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 19, 2008, 11:13:32 am »

It'll probably depend.  For regular descriptive paragraphs, it should probably pick out the greatest outliers and some important ones like hair color, with some extra hint tags to help it give a good presentation (keeping in mind that's it not just for dwarves, but for anything).  People might also want a more comprehensive view, and that's possible.  The important thing at this point is to distinguish each of your dwarves for immersive and attachment purposes.  If something is practical, you'll likely be able to get at that as well, but the main one I'm thinking of (overall size for soldiering) would be in the paragraphs in any case.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #1091 on: December 19, 2008, 11:20:59 am »

if a dwarf likes dwarves with a specific eye color more, wouldn't a dwarv that likes the color of livers like, well...everything that has a liver ?

"hey Mr. butcher, if you're not gonna use those livers, could you, erm, put them in a doggie bag? I need to decorate."

Also, can a specific caste be a [POWER]?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 19, 2008, 11:24:11 am »

Hmmm...on the subject of how detailed to get the descriptions, maybe have a general overview one on screen, and have another screen you can go to from that one with full descriptive details?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 19, 2008, 11:28:37 am »

Yeah, it's a caste flag, though I haven't tested that out so it might behave oddly.  Theoretically the gob civ for instance will pick out an appropriate critter, and it'll also react correctly with the legends and age names and so on.

Oh, and I missed one of LP's questions

There's a POP_RATIO tag you can stick in the caste.  Dwarves are 50/50, so it doesn't occur.  There isn't currently a way to make two different separated breeding groups within a creature, mostly because of the world gen headaches, but I'll do it later (likely not for this release).  You can have multiple male/female castes, but they'll all breed with any other caste that has the complementary token.

Hmmm...on the subject of how detailed to get the descriptions, maybe have a general overview one on screen, and have another screen you can go to from that one with full descriptive details?

Yeah, I could do an additional screen.  I think I giant list would be sterile, but a giant set of paragraphs might not be friendly.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 19, 2008, 11:35:29 am »

Two more questions I just thought of, both regarding reactions (since they aren't done yet).

1) Are you going to expand out the maximum number of reactions we can mod in?
2) Are you going to modify the alloy reactions to make them more in line with real life in some way? For example, bronze is actually 10% tin and 90% copper.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 148