Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349038 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1050 on: December 18, 2008, 10:47:45 am »

The venom in the current version are already added to the creature and remain there for whatever the duration is, but it doesn't check temps on them.  I'm hoping to do that this time around so that fire snakes can be proper and the "liquid fire" extract can be more wholesomely amusing when dwarves are bitten.

In what sense?  Goblins that immediately melt into a pool and die, or goblins that remain molten and walk around?  In any case, temperature-related wounds are coming up at some point here, so it'll sort itself out.  I'd prefer if both cases are possible, but the latter is the more important one (for magma men).

Well, first off, my money's on fire snakes as the new unexpectedly-deadly creatures in the next version.  We'll have dwarfs that suddenly feel a sharp pain, and will run ten steps before bursting into a messy flame, screaming as they melt.

I had forgotten about magma men and just sort of assumed that when a creature had a fluid for its tissues then it would die due to being pulled apart by gravity.  The possible presence of such creatures really opens the door to the walking blood-men or dragons made of liquid fire and such.  I like!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: December 18, 2008, 11:11:55 am »

Or Balrogs with a skeleton and horns and a fire layer with hotrockbony plates on top of that.

Imagine that... a critter that's largely invincible because your sword just isn't long enough to get to the vulnerable bits...

Will there be support for gaseous or ethereal parts (glowing eyes that aren't really real)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: December 18, 2008, 11:15:06 am »

It's the adventures of DWARF LUNGMANmanmanmanman...

No, but really, there will be whole new universes of fun to be had. I'll be greatly enthused to create my cactus-people with the body characteristics of a hollow gourd.

Derailing from body designations a bit, who's excited about entity pets? If this is the controlling code for goblins with trolls and/or selective pack animals, some interesting combinations could occur. Spider-riders, anyone?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: December 18, 2008, 11:24:59 am »

Derailing from body designations a bit, who's excited about entity pets? If this is the controlling code for goblins with trolls and/or selective pack animals, some interesting combinations could occur. Spider-riders, anyone?

Erm...Where did you read this? You mean that we will be able to specify various entities and "give those" to specific races? Like you mod in a war troll for the goblins, and the gobbos will use those in their armies? This is what you meant? It would be awesome to have something like that, but I don't see this information anywhere..

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: December 18, 2008, 11:38:56 am »

Erm...Where did you read this? You mean that we will be able to specify various entities and "give those" to specific races? Like you mod in a war troll for the goblins, and the gobbos will use those in their armies? This is what you meant? It would be awesome to have something like that, but I don't see this information anywhere..

12/08/2008: 1043. Entity pets, embark pets, dye flags, mill jobs, extract/farmer's workshop jobs, and some other things with plants. It'll let you do some weird things now, like farm plants that can be processed into weavable metal thread, though the categories of items for the jobs are still the same (thread/powder/liquid/seeds). For those watching the sub-countdown on these last 9 to the 1039 milestone, it's 243/556, so everything is still on schedule in that sense (about 60 a day).

That's where he's getting it, I think.  I'm not entirely sure what this means, but it was mentioned.  I think it's just setting different pet creatures for different entity definitions, not setting entity creatures as pets.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: December 18, 2008, 11:50:36 am »

Oh...yeah I am afraid that it doesn't means, that we will be able to set entity creatures as pets.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: December 18, 2008, 12:56:28 pm »

No, but really, there will be whole new universes of fun to be had. I'll be greatly enthused to create my cactus-people with the body characteristics of a hollow gourd.

Will their attacks do 1 damage and hit 1000 times a turn? ;D
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1057 on: December 18, 2008, 01:11:02 pm »

I think the misunderstanding is what exactly what an "entity" is. An entity is a civ. This is different from a unit, which is a creature. You can't set a member of an entity as a pet, but you can say that a specific entity will have specific pets.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: December 18, 2008, 02:12:47 pm »

I think the misunderstanding is what exactly what an "entity" is. An entity is a civ. This is different from a unit, which is a creature. You can't set a member of an entity as a pet, but you can say that a specific entity will have specific pets.

Yes, this is what I inferred from Toady's notes; hence my enthusiasm to see its implementation. And if it DOES control the use of war animals, there's worlds of hurt to be explored... goblins with dragons, anyone?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: December 18, 2008, 02:23:15 pm »

I'd rather see (war) abstracted out into the caste system for animals.

Oh, and domesticable animals picking their own civs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: December 18, 2008, 02:27:51 pm »

I think your somewhat assuming that Dwarf Fortress temperatures are as linear as real life temperatures

They are. 1 degree Urist = 1 degree Farenheit.

Apperantly they use Joules

Also I think an entity is something the game recognises as an actor.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:38:49 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: December 18, 2008, 02:58:58 pm »

Also I think an entity is something the game recognises as an actor.

In the context of DF it inevitably means "groups of creatures."  Also, note that it has "embark pets" next to it.  Embark pets needing to be updated to take entity pet permissions into account, just maybe?

Also, joules are a unit of energy, not temperature -- DF takes specific heat into account so they aren't the same.

I'd rather see (war) abstracted out into the caste system for animals.

That's presumably what caste-specific permitted professions are for. (actually I can't find a quote for this at the moment, I might have made it up)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:06:29 pm by Footkerchief »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: December 18, 2008, 03:02:48 pm »

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you want civs to have a list of possible domestic animals but only use some of them, they way clothing is now? Or are you thinking of something else?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: December 18, 2008, 03:25:17 pm »

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you want civs to have a list of possible domestic animals but only use some of them, they way clothing is now? Or are you thinking of something else?

I'm reading Guns, Germs and Steel right now and, like any good DF player, applying it's lessons to world gen in DF.

Specifically:  We've already got situations where races will only use wild animal products and minerals that it has access to (although this matters less in world gen atm).  Why not do the same for domesticated animals?  Spawn 'wild' versions of the animals in their biomes, and any race living in an area with 'wild' (but domesticable) animals and the 'skill' to do so will domesticate the animal.

(Kind of like the dev_future biome appropriate clothing from the list rather than completely random)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1064 on: December 18, 2008, 03:32:43 pm »

The 15th:
...next to the wagon with the equipment that immediately explodes into clouds of boiling bronze while the dwarves flash between the dwarf and bar symbol wearing no-material clothes...

The very next day:
I fixed all the bugs I mentioned from last time.

Toady either has nothing else to do or else he is a coding god.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 148