Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349194 times)

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #285 on: October 22, 2008, 11:16:48 pm »

The release of DF version 1.0..... I think we'll all be old geezers at that point.  This is, of course, a good thing.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 22, 2008, 11:21:53 pm »

The release of DF version 1.0..... I think we'll all be old geezers at that point.  This is, of course, a good thing.

I don't know if Id still be interested in Dwarf Fortress by the time version 1 comes out... By then they may have helmets that create videogames for you just by thinking of them.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 22, 2008, 11:56:57 pm »

Mister, you've messed up something in your post ^ ... :P

I meant to write "Er, sorry for the lecture..."

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 23, 2008, 04:35:25 am »

I don't know if Id still be interested in Dwarf Fortress by the time version 1 comes out... By then they may have helmets that create videogames for you just by thinking of them.

Have you seen the movie "Jason X"? There was a scene in it....2 guys were playing in a virtual world [they were hunting for monsters], and they were physically in the game itself. It was amazing. I think that is the future of gaming.  :D

Even if we gonna have games like that, DF 1.0 will be the most complex + diverse game ever, I am pretty sure about that. [Especially since big game devs can't be arsed to release complex games at all, since those wouldn't sell good.] So I will surely play with DF 1.0  8)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:38:40 am by Tormy »

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #289 on: October 29, 2008, 01:03:11 pm »

Lawnmower Man is another movie which is similar, it was made around the time in the 90's that people were going gaga over virtual reality games.

I saw an article about these people who made a game which basically took shadow boxing to the next level.. the players' shadows were projected onto a screen, and a camera recorded their movements and mirrored them in the game..  it's probably for sure that in 50 years there will be some pretty sophisticated virtual reality game systems, especially considering the new 360 degree video thing that they can do these days in movies.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 29, 2008, 01:27:40 pm »

Visors? Ha! I'm looking forward to the day when everything is in our mind, like a dream. Of course there is the problem of our minds interpreting unorganized nerve signals as pain(Oh, horrific pain not possible naturally), but the coolness factor of having your arm move without it moving in real life...

Sounds a little weird, but at least you can walk around and move naturally instead of being hoisted in some suit.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 29, 2008, 04:07:07 pm »

Lawnmower Man is another movie which is similar, it was made around the time in the 90's that people were going gaga over virtual reality games.

I saw an article about these people who made a game which basically took shadow boxing to the next level.. the players' shadows were projected onto a screen, and a camera recorded their movements and mirrored them in the game..  it's probably for sure that in 50 years there will be some pretty sophisticated virtual reality game systems, especially considering the new 360 degree video thing that they can do these days in movies.

Yeah. Maybe not even in 50 years, but sooner. I would say it would be possible to have something like that in ~30 years even.
Just think about that what did we have like 30 years ago? Hell, even the C-64 is only ~25 years old... :D

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 29, 2008, 09:01:31 pm »

Yeah. Maybe not even in 50 years, but sooner. I would say it would be possible to have something like that in ~30 years even.
Just think about that what did we have like 30 years ago? Hell, even the C-64 is only ~25 years old... :D

From the Apocryphal note of Atari

Code: [Select]
In the Beginning, there was Pong.  But that was boring, so people didn't waste much time on it.

Then was the Computer's wrath kindled against man.  And it swore in its wrath to better pong.  And behold, the Computer said, "Let there be blobs."  And there were blobs.  And the Computer saw the blobs, and it saw that they bounced randomly on the screen.  And the Computer was entranced for hours on end.

Then came forth the Programmer.  And he saw the blobs, and saw that they were most Heinous.  And he said unto the Computer, "Hey, let me blow up the blobs."  And the computer was awakened from its stupor.

And the computer said, "Let there be a triangle."  And there was a triangle.  And the programmer did smite the blobs with the triangle.  And thus was created Asteroids.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 31, 2008, 10:42:57 am »

From the Apocryphal note of Atari

Code: [Select]
In the Beginning, there was Pong.  But that was boring, so people didn't waste much time on it.

Then was the Computer's wrath kindled against man.  And it swore in its wrath to better pong.  And behold, the Computer said, "Let there be blobs."  And there were blobs.  And the Computer saw the blobs, and it saw that they bounced randomly on the screen.  And the Computer was entranced for hours on end.

Then came forth the Programmer.  And he saw the blobs, and saw that they were most Heinous.  And he said unto the Computer, "Hey, let me blow up the blobs."  And the computer was awakened from its stupor.

And the computer said, "Let there be a triangle."  And there was a triangle.  And the programmer did smite the blobs with the triangle.  And thus was created Asteroids.

The programmer was ToadyOne? Then it's all makes sense.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 31, 2008, 11:25:53 am »

Version 1 will be so perfect that it will no longer be the game.
We will be the game, and Toady the gamer.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 02, 2008, 01:50:17 pm »

Question, Toady...

Since you're overhauling the body mechanics, are you going to make it so that redundant parts can be an asset?  Having two hearts for example could make it possible to survive the loss of one, likewise with heads.  Or the two parts could be given different jobs, like one head is the emotions, the other head the skills?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 02, 2008, 01:53:32 pm »

Question, Toady...

Since you're overhauling the body mechanics, are you going to make it so that redundant parts can be an asset?  Having two hearts for example could make it possible to survive the loss of one, likewise with heads.  Or the two parts could be given different jobs, like one head is the emotions, the other head the skills?

On that avenue can you set it so that if one of the two parts is lost the creature dies? or is it "if you have two and one is lost you live"

Or hmmm, I have so many questions on the subject of organs I might as well make a suggestion thread out of it...

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 02, 2008, 02:16:19 pm »

On that avenue can you set it so that if one of the two parts is lost the creature dies?

That's how it currently is, which makes hydrae a tad less dangerous than they should be.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 02, 2008, 02:25:27 pm »

On that avenue can you set it so that if one of the two parts is lost the creature dies?

That's how it currently is, which makes hydrae a tad less dangerous than they should be.

I know, but if he changed it so they don't have to die Id like to have the option so you can set the measure of lethality on losing an organ even if the creature has multiple. For example:
-A human being without a kidney will live, but will have a lowered lifespan and an injured constitution
-A Hydra who loses a head is completely unimpeded as if nothing happened (Hydras really should have "No pain")
-A Two headed snake who loses a head will most likely die (I think)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 02, 2008, 05:40:02 pm »

^^^ "Measure of lethality" might be making things overcomplicated.  I think all that's actually needed right now is a [NOT_REDUNDANT] tag for organs that a creature can't afford to lose even one of, and otherwise the organ is assumed to be redundant as long as there's more than one.

Even this is tricky, though, because the game currently doesn't recognize that a right lung and left lung are both lungs (there's no "basic lung" that is used to "instantiate" the right and left lungs), so it has no way of knowing they're redundant with regard to each other.  Hopefully the new body system circumvents this.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 148