Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349184 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #270 on: October 21, 2008, 12:38:37 am »

Is skill synergy getting added along with all the other skill/att changes?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 21, 2008, 09:04:28 am »

Martial arts are the sort of things I'd randomize each time (as with magical arts) in my own worlds and the vanilla game, but I'd be open to allow raws for them as I'm sure people have their favorites and stuff they'd like in their modded worlds.

wow, awesome!  8)

Speed is sort of a weird thing that won't be established until I get to the body part of the countdown.  Right now it'll depend on strength + agility, but really it should also depend on physical dimensions as well.  That can kind of be implied by strength + agility, but to get good description paragraphs based on appearance, the atts + one size variable aren't sufficient.  In a way this is a start of the custom attributes, as they'd depend on the creatures.  For creatures without extra appearance attributes (I won't have spend time coming up with them for sharks and so on, most likely, not for a long while anyway), speed will probably depend on strength and agility equally.

What about creature SIZE? Shouldn't that have a "role" in SPEED? Hm...on the other hand maybe it should have an effect on endurance. Afterall 2 equally agile and strong creatures from the same species shouldn't reach the same destination point in the same time, if their SIZE is different.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:21:26 am by Tormy »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #272 on: October 22, 2008, 03:07:21 am »

Tormy... SIZE=physical dimensions.
<3

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2008, 09:04:10 am »

Things from the same species generally have proportions that are about the same.  Higher overall physical dimensions typically mean that legs are longer, indicating that a creature's stride will be longer and thus that more ground will be covered with the same angular movement of the legs around the hip.  As such, size could very easily contribute to speed in a logical way.  However, that speed would be movement speed, not the speed by which a creature takes actions at all.  If those two things get split, then this is an excellent point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 22, 2008, 09:04:41 am »

Personally I am thrown off by Toady's willingness to answer questions so It is always a pleasant surprise even though he does it consistantly.

I am used to a game being mostly a secret until it comes out. So 50% "I won't tell" and the number increases with Freeware.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2008, 09:05:30 am »

Tormy... SIZE=physical dimensions.

Hm yeah, that is true.. :-X

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2008, 10:42:42 am »

I live right next to a grocery store...  I'm taking vitamin D supplements now, since I hardly ever go outside, he he he.

Maybe you could include this as a mechanic to avoid cave adaptation?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2008, 10:54:51 am »

Toady: I understand what you mean about musicality. It makes more sense to me now, I think.

Speaking of unarmed combat, here's what I'm wondering: If wrestlers end up using multiple offensive skills and other military units continue to use only one, will that result in problems/balance issues with skills? I guess it depends on what those skills are and how they're used.

Eh?  Why should unarmed combat be "balanced" against weapon skills.

Nice long post you have there, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make at all. My apologies.

What I meant was: In current game terms, working on three skills at a time instead of one will result in more skill increases overall and therefore things like better attribute bonuses, or perhaps slower than normal skill growth if you have to work at 3 at once instead of focusing on one. I wasn't referring to the actual effectiveness of the skill itself being "balanced".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2008, 11:11:47 am »

Toady: I understand what you mean about musicality. It makes more sense to me now, I think.

Speaking of unarmed combat, here's what I'm wondering: If wrestlers end up using multiple offensive skills and other military units continue to use only one, will that result in problems/balance issues with skills? I guess it depends on what those skills are and how they're used.

Nice long post you have there, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make at all. My apologies.

What I meant was: In current game terms, working on three skills at a time instead of one will result in more skill increases overall and therefore things like better attribute bonuses, or perhaps slower than normal skill growth if you have to work at 3 at once instead of focusing on one. I wasn't referring to the actual effectiveness of the skill itself being "balanced".

I am pretty sure that the weapon skill will be broken up also
Some ideas:
- chance to block incoming attacks with a given weapon type
- "special" attack manoeuvres [combos? = damage boost] with a given weapon type
- chance to disarm the weapons with a given weapon time
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:14:50 am by Tormy »

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2008, 04:22:37 pm »

Er, sorry for the lecture. :)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2008, 04:36:57 pm »

Mister, you've messed up something in your post ^ ... :P

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2008, 05:33:15 pm »

I am pretty sure that the weapon skill will be broken up also
Some ideas:
- chance to block incoming attacks with a given weapon type
- "special" attack manoeuvres [combos? = damage boost] with a given weapon type
- chance to disarm the weapons with a given weapon time

Also, dodging should be relevant in pretty much all melee training, and grappling can be relevant for weapons as well (as the images on the previous page illustrates).
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2008, 09:05:56 pm »

Each of stones, metals, plants, trees and creatures now has material lists which can be placed in the raws which cover pretty much everything that was sort of haphazardly defined before (there isn't currently a point to having a list within a stone or metal rather than just having one though).

I believe I know what this means... however there is a huge area of uncertainty (which is embarassing)... Can someone reword this for me? I feel as if I am being tainted by what I want rather then what is really there

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2008, 10:18:29 pm »

Personally I am thrown off by Toady's willingness to answer questions so It is always a pleasant surprise even though he does it consistantly.

I am used to a game being mostly a secret until it comes out. So 50% "I won't tell" and the number increases with Freeware.

I think it balances out with the utter lack of information we're getting about his weekend (or, recently, month-end) project.  That appeases the Gods of Software and prevents them from smiting His Toadness.
Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2008, 11:11:48 pm »

That, and if they smited Toady One, they'd never get a copy of DF version 1.0...
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 148