Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349327 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #225 on: October 20, 2008, 02:30:29 pm »

I can imagine the latest in noble torture now: lock the hapless noble in a jail cell right next to a talentless dwarf playing the trombone.
Why not several talentless dwarves playing bagpipes?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Benny

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Poster
    • View Profile
    • retrojaffa
« Reply #226 on: October 20, 2008, 02:56:15 pm »

it'd be fairly cool to have your dwarves go into a fey mood and come out of it with a song they'd wrote and then its kept in the Legends screen. Even better if it would just randomly generate the actual song from some short notes :o

Urist Bagpiper cancels Eat: Urist Copycat is doing his song no justice
On this post is an image of Benny in Obsidian. Benny is typing a reply

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 20, 2008, 02:59:06 pm »

Any dwarf (or human) who thinks playing bagpipes in tight, enclosed corridors is a good thing needs to be shot on sight. Those things were meant to be heard for miles *outdoors*.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2008, 03:31:29 pm »

But remember, bagpipes were originally made out of sheep's bladders, so they can't be all bad.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2008, 03:40:55 pm »

I'm wondering how Spacial-Sense is going to interact with DF's geometry.  Knowing Toady, it'll probably modify individual pathfinding distances and the likelihood of miners cutting themselves loose of cliffs.  Protip From The Future: make sure your miners and masons have good spacial sense.

These dwarves have more axes of thought than the Sims.  This is going to be so cool.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2008, 04:12:04 pm »

I wonder if DF will ever reach the level of complexity when equipping your measly force of 20 with Great Bagpipes and sending them against a 500-strong elven siege will drive the treehuggers mad and force them to retreat because of "massive self-induced casualties"?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2008, 04:30:10 pm »

Toady, did you know that regular exercising and a good deal of fresh air greatly improve the efficiency of the mind? That's because it increases the amount of oxygen the brain receives.

Mike, mike, mike...so you suppose that Toady's efficiency would skyrocket in that case? Well....it would be nice to see a fully functional Army Arc in 2 weeks.. ;D [..but I guess Toady knows that what is the best for him  :)]

..now back to the topic:

The latest dev notes is pure awesomeness, as usual. New physical attribs like ENDURANCE, RECUPERATION, and the soul-linked attributes are most welcome! I am just wondering about some specific attribs, like memory for example, and that how will that work. Dwarves will forgot about some stuff what happened in the past?.. so for example X dwarf had a fistfight with Y dwarf, so their relationship won't be the best , but if the dwarf has a bad memory, there is a chance that he/she will forget about the incident after a period, and their relations will be "normalized"?..or what about the analytical ability? What will be that soul attrib responsible for?

Ah, and let's do not forget about -> The "unarmed" skill, aka "wrestling", has been broken up into four skills. In particular, dodging is now a separate skill...awesome!  8)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:33:08 pm by Tormy »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2008, 04:36:02 pm »

It is nice to see he made it possible for faster regeneration, as well as creatures with high stats without needing to increase their size, and I will look forward to when Toady finally allows regeneration of lost bodyparts.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2008, 04:51:35 pm »

EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Who else wants dwarves feeling their stuff?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2008, 04:55:59 pm »

Correct description: "Empathy is the capacity to recognize or understand another's state of mind or emotion." Definitely a must have in the game.  :)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2008, 05:13:09 pm »

Correct description: "Empathy is the capacity to recognize or understand another's state of mind or emotion." Definitely a must have in the game.  :)

What the original poster stated, or the dictionary reference?

But yes, awesome update. I wonder how patience will effect you in Adventure Mode. Mayhaps intentionally keeping your character from doing actions you are doing would raise it?

Goblin: Why won't you finish me off?
 Dwarf: Trainin' patience!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2008, 05:22:20 pm »

Bagpipes were originally made for sheepherding by signaling the dogs andd other Sheephards etc. The usage as actuall instrument is an much newer invention so the timeframe of DF wouldnt allow (except toady says otherwise) bagpipes as Musicinstrument.

Anyway the new skill system looks awesome and makes custom races now more different from the preexisting ones i hope. So Yay for the Toad and an donation if hes done till chrismas (the only time i have money XD).
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2008, 05:25:25 pm »

Well Empathy is probably going to improve a Mayor's ability to take in complaints.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 20, 2008, 05:30:31 pm »

Well Empathy is probably going to improve a Mayor's ability to take in complaints.

...and don't forget! Empathy will be also very important, once Dwarf Poker! will be implemented!  ;D
[Sorry I couldn't miss it, since I am a poker player  8)]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 20, 2008, 05:40:43 pm »

...and don't forget! Empathy will be also very important, once Dwarf Poker! will be implemented!  ;D
[Sorry I couldn't miss it, since I am a poker player  8)]

Psh, only if you play the wimpy way that doesn't include five aces.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 148