Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Adventure Mode: Plot Armour  (Read 4814 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode: Plot Armour
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:15:46 am »

So, adventure mode is getting cooler.  Especially with the new world generation stuff.  You can really start to do stuff, effect things, etc.  And it's going to get better.

My main gripe is, you die really easily.  Yes, it's realistic, and yeah, losing is fun.  But playing is also fun, and right now that's a little hard to do.

At the start, you tend to die very easily.  Even after you train yourself up for an hour of real time.  The problem is, unlike most games, there really is no difficulty ramp.  AKA, from the start you can end up facing super-strong enemies, and dying.  While it's sometimes cool to be wandering around and suddenly end up fighting an impossible to beat match (THREE ORGES- and one of them is BLINKING).  Or taking a quest and ending up in a cave where you are horribly raped.

So, my suggestion is, Plot Armor.  Plot Armor is an invisible stat, only for player characters.  What it would do is, well, give you extra "Lives".  When you would take a mortal or really bad wound, it lowers the damage (But does not remove the damage), and uses up some of the plot armor.  Plot armor recharges slowly over time, maybe one point a day, to a max of three points?

This wouldn't save you from death, of course.  It would just save you from instadeath, give you a chance to run.  The effects should be very subtle. 

TL;DR Version:

No "beginners" area in adventure mode.  You can end up running into impossible to kill creatures.  Suggested solution is plot armor, which lowers damage from a Mortal Wound to a Bad Wound.  Plot armor is used up, but recharges slowly over time.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode: Plot Armour
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:14:53 am »

Warning: Post Hijack:

I read the title as a request for a function to Plot what armour you have on and stack layers and etc rather than the haphazard system we've got

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:43:58 pm »

It's sometimes referred to as "plot immunity" or "pc armour" - meaning that in films or games, plot-important characters can take a lot more damage (or a hit that would severely injure or kill a similar non-pc character) without dying than unimportant characters. The redshirts from Star Trek are an example - being unimportant to the plot, they usually die, whereas main characters survive through various hazards and escape unscathed.

I'm opposed to this concept in games, except one notable occurence - Fate Points. (cookie to whoever remembers what RPG that is from)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 01:33:16 pm »

I'd rather solve the problem of random encounters ditching you in the middle of a large group of unbeatable enemies.
In a Small world, I encountered a pack of 7+ Beak Dogs. They tore my adventurer to bits with their vicious beaks.
Then I got a quest to avenge myself with the next adventurer. JUSTICE!
(although, the old quest for the cave I was heading for was suddenly gone...)
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 01:35:34 pm »

I'm opposed to this concept in games, except one notable occurence - Fate Points. (cookie to whoever remembers what RPG that is from)

Arcanum, please deliver cookie soon as I'm staving.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 01:37:03 pm »

So, adventure mode is getting cooler.  Especially with the new world generation stuff.  You can really start to do stuff, effect things, etc.  And it's going to get better.

My main gripe is, you die really easily.  Yes, it's realistic, and yeah, losing is fun.  But playing is also fun, and right now that's a little hard to do.

At the start, you tend to die very easily.  Even after you train yourself up for an hour of real time.  The problem is, unlike most games, there really is no difficulty ramp.  AKA, from the start you can end up facing super-strong enemies, and dying.  While it's sometimes cool to be wandering around and suddenly end up fighting an impossible to beat match (THREE ORGES- and one of them is BLINKING).  Or taking a quest and ending up in a cave where you are horribly raped.

So, my suggestion is, Plot Armor.  Plot Armor is an invisible stat, only for player characters.  What it would do is, well, give you extra "Lives".  When you would take a mortal or really bad wound, it lowers the damage (But does not remove the damage), and uses up some of the plot armor.  Plot armor recharges slowly over time, maybe one point a day, to a max of three points?

This wouldn't save you from death, of course.  It would just save you from instadeath, give you a chance to run.  The effects should be very subtle. 

TL;DR Version:

No "beginners" area in adventure mode.  You can end up running into impossible to kill creatures.  Suggested solution is plot armor, which lowers damage from a Mortal Wound to a Bad Wound.  Plot armor is used up, but recharges slowly over time.

Personally, I'd rather have a system where you can improve your metagame abilities by your activities in adventure mode. That is, play a character in adventure mode for a while, and if they die or are retired, you can create a new character with more points than the typical starting adventurer. If they're retired, it's point for point (so you can "purchase" your retired character back). If they die, it's some percentage of the character's points.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:39:43 pm »

Some sort of heritage metagame system seems to be in the future plans.

But as for "I am the player; make me immune to things for that reason alone"- that seems to go against everything Dwarf Fortress is about.   I mean, this is the game with the catchphrase of "Losing is Fun".

Think of it this way:  You're legendary 'coz you're powerful, not powerful 'coz you're legendary.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 01:45:38 pm »

Maybe this plot armor thing could be something that can be tweaked in the init file. So that players can choose whether to use it or not.

My suggestion of letting players choose to play with worldgen characters instead of creating new ones could indirectly solve this by letting players choose powered up heroes that survive anything or wimpy characters that die fighting with babies.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 02:57:07 pm »

Some sort of heritage metagame system seems to be in the future plans.

But as for "I am the player; make me immune to things for that reason alone"- that seems to go against everything Dwarf Fortress is about.   I mean, this is the game with the catchphrase of "Losing is Fun".

Think of it this way:  You're legendary 'coz you're powerful, not powerful 'coz you're legendary.

Like I said, Losing IS fun, but so is playing the game, and right now unless I spend a long time beefing up my guys I can't do anything without a 50% chance of death.

Plot Armor isn't super-powered or anything.  All it would do is make a mortal wound survivable.  It wouldn't remove the damage; you would still get hit, and hit badly, but you wouldn't die instantly.  It doesn't necessarily have to regenerate either; it could be a one time thing for when you start out.

Personally, I have to agree with Align, in that solving the problem of you suddenly facing unbeatable enemies.  But I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon, if only because of the way world generation is.

I think everyone doesn't get how subtle this system should be.

For example, I was killing giants.  I killed two of them, got to a third.  He punched me in the face and I died in one hit.  No other wounds.  Now, I had just started that adventurer.  That isn't really... Fun, that's just annoying.  Getting a bad wound in a goblin tower, then trying to escape killing anything in your way until you die at the doorway from the blood loss and the goblin swarm... That's fun.  The giant would have been fun if he had simply left my head a mess instead of a pancake.  Then I would try to crawl away while he follows me, beating me with his bare fists.  That would have been fun.  As it happened, it was almost like a meteor with the letters RND blazoned upon it smashed into me out of nowhere.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 03:00:43 pm »

If it's a setting called "I am a little girl: YES/NO" then I guess it could be put in, if not, no.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 03:03:48 pm »

If it's a setting called "I am a little girl: YES/NO" then I guess it could be put in, if not, no.

Or a setting called, "I want to survive my first quest: YES/NO"

Or, "I want to spend an hour training each adventurer to only get ten minutes of play time until he dies: YES/NO"

Or, "I want to be able to play without cheating, like carrying multiple shields and killing people with thrown water: YES/NO"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 03:28:51 pm »

I really think the only way to have it in DF would be Fate Points. This means that for doing great deeds (good or evil, just great), you are awarded with what other games would call karma, one point for one sufficiently large deed. Using a fate point can have varying effects - from critical success in something you're absolutely improficient in (I always use my first FP in Arcanum on lockpicking to open the ancient safe thing in the museum, that has a plaque reading "Nobody has ever been able to open it"), to instant healing, to making your opponent (though he's a multilegendary megawarrior) trip on his feet, and so on. The player would start with one fate point, and would have to earn the rest.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 03:30:59 pm »

Or, "I want to spend an hour training each adventurer to only get ten minutes of play time until he dies: YES/NO"

Or, "I want to be able to play without cheating, like carrying multiple shields and killing people with thrown water: YES/NO"

It's not the game's fault you spend an hour throwing rocks at the ground just to get killed by a gopher.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 03:59:35 pm »

No need for personal attacks.

Losing is fun only when the ride toward death is amusing. Losing in Fortress mode is amusing because death happens slowly and horribly after a chain of comical misshaps.

Most adventure mode deaths aren't slow, heroic, comical or horrible. Most of them are just dull. That doesn't make losing fun. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it when the occasional puny kobold rips the throat of my legendary hero, then make it go on a killing rage before succumbing to the wound.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 04:32:44 pm »

It's not the game's fault you spend an hour throwing rocks at the ground just to get killed by a gopher.

I don't, which is why I die so much.

And I agree with the above post, very very very much so.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5