Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Adventure Mode: Plot Armour  (Read 4805 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode: Plot Armour
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2009, 03:04:08 pm »

Continuing along with the idea of my original posts.
The utter brutality/lack of plot armor is truly part of the new definition of roguelike (that is to say, the definition that is NOT "Similar to Rogue")
Adventure mode is still lacking in far too many areas.  Making what's already there easier would just make it boring.
Besides, most "Mortal Wounds" in DF already don't instantly kill.
You bleed out, which, depending on how it happened, may seem instant due to your character being slowed down, but is not.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2009, 12:58:22 am »

I can't think of the amount of times Ive been saved with the Travel button... and eventually it isn't going to do squat against wounds.

Megabeasts are going to get more deadly and Semimegabeasts much more swavy.

Adventure mode is going to get a lot more brutal... not easier... So plot armor isn't going to make too much of a difference. (or what I am saying is "Stop applying Plot armor to current Dwarf Fortress... think of it much further down the road such as Version 1")

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2009, 01:47:11 am »

The game doesn't need plot armor.

The game needs better quests FOR beginners, and better ways for beginners to take care of themselves.

If the average adventurer dies because he gets into a random encounter with legendary ogres, then the problem with the game is that it throws legendary ogres at you out of nowhere with no way to avoid them, which is unrealistic and silly.

Obviously Adventure Mode needs some work and isn't exactly done yet. But throwing in some sort of extremely artificial-feeling safety net isn't the way to go; the way to go is actually improving it so that beginners have opportunities to take easier quests, go along with caravans (or something) for protection when traveling, etc.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2009, 11:34:06 am »

And by Begininers G-Flex means starting adventurers and non-combat adventurers. (I hope)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2009, 01:28:08 pm »

Well yeah, although there's nothing wrong with easier quests being available for beginning players either.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2009, 02:39:31 pm »

Well yeah, although there's nothing wrong with easier quests being available for beginning players either.

Yep! Maybe there should also be indicators (possibly supplied by a in game device or manual) or how difficult a starting area is based on Megabeast/Semimegabeast settlement, Wilderness activity, Spherical Lands, and proximity to enemies.

Id like there to be starting missions (or lets call it "Things to do") because the only ones you seem to get are "Go fight the Semimegabeast" and now that they arn't stupid... that isn't a short order.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2009, 10:41:56 am »

I wonder if the new damage mechanics will make instadeaths less prominent?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2009, 11:02:24 am »

I wonder if the new damage mechanics will make instadeaths less prominent?

What in DF history makes you think that is at all likely?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2009, 02:03:55 pm »

Nothing, but the new tissue layers are like nothing that was ever seen in DF history.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2009, 02:09:20 pm »

I'll stand by my 'more complicated = more likely to fail' attitude

Gamermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2009, 02:46:09 pm »

What this game needs is the possibility to do more than wander around,slaying the odd megabeast, and then get ripped to bits by the infamous 5+ wolf swarms, we should be able to join,maybe even command, armies, perhaps we should be able to play those megabeasts, or control a army right from the start if we wish!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2009, 02:48:57 pm »

Check the development pages, that kind of stuff has been planned for a while.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2009, 07:06:46 pm »

Why are people complaining about wolf swarms? Wolves are fantastic for leveling up, much better than giant lions or cougars etc.

Anyway I think people should just wait for the next version and see how the new bodies and damage mechanics change the game, whether they make it easier or harder.

Personally I think they'll make it a lot easier, maybe even too easy until item damage to your armour and weapons goes in, but there's no way to know until it comes out.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]