Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblins hostile by default  (Read 1061 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins hostile by default
« on: July 21, 2008, 01:57:09 am »

Because with no sieges, the game is no longer fun :(
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins hostile by default
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:17:48 am »

For now... I will admit that SOMEONE has to be unquestionably Hostile in everygame even if it doesn't make sense.

However it really might as well be Goblins if the choice isn't given to the player because they are the most fleshed out civilisation with Trolls, Demons, Babysnatchers, and Riders

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 03:21:17 am »

It's not really "by default" that's needed.  That lacks imagination.  What the goblins need (and maybe the worldgen calculations as well) is different ethics tags to make them get into wars more often.  Their basic problem is that they're anarchic - every problem is solved on a personal level, so they never get into big fights with anyone.

I'm thinking about giving them EATS_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE and seeing if humans at least will fight them.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:01:03 am »

Or perhaps introduce some hostile by default new race. Undead? Marauding zombie hordes are always popular.

Either way, 39c is just waaaaay too peaceful. Everyone is at peace with dwarves, rendering all of the military aspects of the game useless beyond ridding the local region of carp.

Granted, goblins not being at war 24/7 does make sense, however it doesn't work for gameplay purposes. Without goblins trying to lay siege to everything, the game gets boring very quickly. If goblins aren't going to be the designated "bad guy" anymore, then perhaps have sieges of zombies or some other opponent that is reliably there.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:47:29 am »

Easy enough to fix the raws so that gobbos love to do something dwarves hate. Voila! Yeah, I agree there needs to be some kind of catch to make dwarves at war with something from the start
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:12:06 am »

At least for now until the more fleshed out diplomacy and land grabs exist... or else there could be problems with Dwarf Fortress for months.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 10:13:54 am »

Easy enough to fix the raws so that gobbos love to do something dwarves hate. Voila! Yeah, I agree there needs to be some kind of catch to make dwarves at war with something from the start

Tried that, still no war. They go to war with humans and elves often enough, but everyone always seems to be at peace with dwarves, even if I do a copy and paste of human ethics to the dwarf listing.

I've yet to find a reliable way to get goblins to fight dwarves without also breaking the siege AI. Removing the [INTELLIGENT] tag does cause conflict, but the siege AI is completely broken; they just hang out at the edge of the map without moving, even if there is a completely clear path.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:22:05 am »

I don't know what you guy's problem is... in every world I've generated dwarves are at war with goblins.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:42:19 am »

I kinda hate how two civilizations not at war will claim eachother's capital as part of their territory.
The apathy about thier own territory being claimed irks me the most.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:52:04 am »

What is more strange (definately a overlook) is the fact noone bothers the goblins are stealing their children.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 10:55:59 am »

In modding recently, I found that making the dwarves rather more severe in their ethics (punish_capital! punish_serious! punish_capital!) helped get a lot more conflict going. Could try that.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 11:25:38 am »

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks peace is irking and annoying. I'd like a version of the game where there is only war, bloodshed, and death. No peace. No trading. No currency. No green fields. No good lands. No unicorns. No fairies. No kittens. No donkeys. Just death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death death and death.

I want the hamlet liason to run up to the expedition leader with an axe in his hand and foam in his mouth as he barks, "MAKE THOSE THREE HUNDRED SPEARS BY NEXT CARAVAN OR I WILL SLAUGHTER EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU AND DRINK YOUR FLOWING BLOOD FROM YOUR STUMPY LITTLE DECAPITATED NECKS!"

Or nobles personally slaughtering twenty dwarves every single time someone doesn't meet a mandate, and then proceed to get their relatives to chop the corpses for the dogs to eat.

I'm just pissed that it's so hard to get people to fight each other now.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 11:33:46 am »

Am I the only one who cares more about the simulational value of letting the civs make their own damn decisions about when they go to war than whether I get to kill people in wars?

Because if I am, then I will be sad. :(
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:47:19 am »

Am I the only one who cares more about the simulational value of letting the civs make their own damn decisions about when they go to war than whether I get to kill people in wars?

Because if I am, then I will be sad. :(

I'm perfectly fine if civilizations can peacefully coexist with each other. Its just that a horde of enemies trying to batter down the gates definitely adds a lot of excitement to the game. And it is a game.

So if civilizations are going to remain at peace with each other indefinitely, at least give the player the option to declare war. Or perhaps use zombies as the designated always hostile enemy.  ;D

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 01:09:09 pm »

Maybe you can start wars in adventure mode, then go into fortress mode and profit?

Heck, you might even be able to start wars with every race... someone needs to experiment.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: [1] 2