Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: a kobold CARAVAN arrived?!  (Read 4059 times)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a kobold CARAVAN arrived?!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 06:33:14 pm »

My thought is that something happened when you installed the older version over the newer one and it was that something which caused the caravan to show up.  I've heard of weird things happening in the game when you don't do clean installs.

All the same, that's pretty neat!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 06:36:11 pm »

I extract each version into its own brand new folder.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 07:04:41 pm »

Everyone is peaceful! That basically renders the entire military aspect of the game pointless. Soldiers, weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, crossbow making, bolt making, fortifications, traps, siege engineering. You don't even need walls anymore. Whats the point? Its not like anything is gonna attack.

I've tried fiddling with the 39c in every way I could think up, I've even tried generating worlds with only goblins and dorfs and put them right next to each other. They simply refuse to fight no matter what I do. The only actual siege I have had happen since 39a/b/c was from the elves.

Since goblins and dorfs never go to war with each other, there's no conflict in the game anymore, turning it basically into SimCity instead of Evil Genius or Dungeon Keeper.

Oh, god. This means that we need to be able to piss off people by killing their diplomats and caravans, and we need it fast.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 07:05:55 pm »

This is similar to the "Sieging Elves" we've been seeing. Just embark from a parent civ at war with the elves, the bastards are harder than goblins because they have more bowmen and ambusher skill.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 07:21:35 pm »

Everyone is peaceful! That basically renders the entire military aspect of the game pointless. Soldiers, weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, crossbow making, bolt making, fortifications, traps, siege engineering. You don't even need walls anymore. Whats the point? Its not like anything is gonna attack.

I've tried fiddling with the 39c in every way I could think up, I've even tried generating worlds with only goblins and dorfs and put them right next to each other. They simply refuse to fight no matter what I do. The only actual siege I have had happen since 39a/b/c was from the elves.

Since goblins and dorfs never go to war with each other, there's no conflict in the game anymore, turning it basically into SimCity instead of Evil Genius or Dungeon Keeper.

Oh, god. This means that we need to be able to piss off people by killing their diplomats and caravans, and we need it fast.

This is already in. Use the Seize option in trading or dig around a Trade Depot and make it collapse. I once did something like that a version ago, except it was a massive human wagon party and the depot was at the very top of the map when the thin tower it was on had some accidents. I could never clean up the all junk afterward.

On the same idea, build a bridge to a Trade Depot and bring it up to trap the merchants while they are on there. After a while, they will start going insane and kill each other in glorious blood-bath. It helps if they are on a tower and people who get knocked off fall to a splattering death. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:25:24 pm by Gigalith »
Check out my books at O and H Books

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 09:28:47 pm »

I remember when 3d first came out and people installed it over 2d, and wound up playing Wizard Fortress.  I also recall a screenshot of someone who had a civilization of donkeys.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 10:29:39 pm »

[long post]

The problem is that this won't make them attack you. They don't care, and they'll send someone next year. I repeatedly seized stuff from the elves a few versions ago and they just came back.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 11:14:08 pm »

[long post]

The problem is that this won't make them attack you. They don't care, and they'll send someone next year. I repeatedly seized stuff from the elves a few versions ago and they just came back.

Yup. That feature was removed several versions back and I don't recall it being added in. You can rob/murder caravans all you want and a new one just comes next year.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 11:40:06 pm »

I loaded up an old save game (first created in 38 and then moved up) and within 5 minutes, a goblin siege arrived...but this might have to do with the save being from an old version. Idk.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 12:05:16 am »

I loaded up an old save game (first created in 38 and then moved up) and within 5 minutes, a goblin siege arrived...but this might have to do with the save being from an old version. Idk.

Most likely. The civilizations were generated in 38, and the state of war was most likely preserved despite going to 39.

However, starting in 39 seems to cause everyone to declare peace with everyone else. Or at least, dorfs do. I see plenty of human/goblin/elf wars, but dorfs seem to be almost completely ignored in every world I've generated in 39. Almost 2 dozen worlds by now so far, and I've only been at war with one civilization...and that was the elves.

Makes for a very bored military.

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 01:56:08 am »

They don't actually move to attack even though there's a clear path. They just hang around at the edge of the map forever.

Are you sure it's completely clear? I realized that if goblins can't path to your fortress, they do exactly that - hang around the edge of the map and do nothing until they get bored and wander off.  I caused it by raising my drawbridge, the only entrance to my fortress; this broke the path and they stopped coming.  Every time I lowered it, they'd all make a mad dash toward my fort, but raising it again stopped them cold.  (I eventually let them walk in the gates just for some action, though I butchered the lot of them regardless.)
Derp.

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 02:17:02 am »

You need to make sure you have at least one "At War" in your embark screen.  Worlds that have genned for longer seem to be much more peaceful than earlier ones - every time I tried to get the game to go to 1050, everyone had a huge number of wars at the start and went peaceful.  By going with defaults, the game starts in the middle of one of those wars.

-Angry Lawyer

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 03:25:01 am »

You should be able to fix the peaceful civ issue by tweaking entity ethics.  Just give them slightly more hostile reactions to things.  The only problem I foresee with that route is you may see worldgen wars consistently ending in genocide.

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 03:42:38 am »

You consider that a problem??

-Angry Lawyer

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 03:48:01 am »

It is if the dwarves genocide everyone and there's noone to be at war with  :-[
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3