Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: a kobold CARAVAN arrived?!  (Read 4055 times)

DeadRoseRed

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Is something burning?
    • View Profile
a kobold CARAVAN arrived?!
« on: July 20, 2008, 04:38:11 pm »

I pretty much registered just to post this.  I recently tried updating to .39c, but it would crash on start-up since the "index" file in data was "corrupted."  I'm not ENTIRELY sure why that was, but whatever, I just reverted to .38c.  So I'm playing for a (great) while, and finally Autumn rolls around.  I sit in my fortress, eagerly awaiting the Dwarven caravan, and presumably the Goblin siege that will accompany it.

Ahhh, the Dwarven caravan arrives!  Excellent!  I trade with them, expecting the Goblins to show up at any minute.  Finally, a message arrives of impending atta... wait, what?  "A Kobold caravan from Stlolotrilmis has arrived."

In prior years, having checked the Civ menu, it told me that I imported "annoyance" from them, and exported "aggression," or some such thing.  Obviously, I was less than totally diplomatic with their prior "envoys" (read: thieves) they sent me.  Just to make sure this isn't some kind of crazy kobold ruse to win entry into my base, I once again checked the Civ menu, and insanely enough, I was at peace with the foul dogs!

So my question to you: is this some kind of crazy bug that may (or may not) be associated with the index file?  Could this be some kind of "working as intended" thing?  Or did I totally just get a new trading partner to send me food and alcohol?  Whatever it is, I'm saving the game and exiting until I can figure out how to take screenshots.
When Monster is loose, boards must be tight!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: a kobold CARAVAN arrived?!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 04:50:08 pm »

Alt+Print Screen, then open Microsoft Paint or somesuch program, hit CTRL+V (or any paste command) and then save and profit.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:17:43 pm by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 04:55:10 pm »

That's really awesome actually.  I'm curious what they sell.  Probably random crap they've stolen from all over...

DeadRoseRed

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Is something burning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 04:58:13 pm »

Alt+Print Screen, then open paint or somesuch program, CTRL+V (or any paste command) and then save and profit.

where does it auto-save to?  i've checked my DF folder and all its sub-folders, but cannot find anything to indicate a screenshot

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 05:08:15 pm »

that's a windows command, open MSPaint and ctrl-v
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

DeadRoseRed

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Is something burning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 05:17:48 pm »

Thanks for the help with screenshots

Anyway, on to the (two) screenshots that I thought were applicable!

Also, for those of you wondering what he's selling, this merchant (I don't know yet if there's more, since I haven't unpaused it), it looks like the mule is loaded down with various foods and leathers/silk.  Apparently, Kobolds are very concerned with fashion.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 05:33:27 pm »

Did you install any mods at all? The martial arts mod? Did you make any changes to kobolds?

I've never heard of this kind of event happening in 39, let alone 38. I don't think you can be at peace with kobolds in 38! Or 39 for that matter!

Did you try to install 39 over 38 and then reverted back to 38? That might have caused the game some confusion in the raws or data and somehow made kobolds make peace with you.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

DeadRoseRed

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Is something burning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 05:39:14 pm »

I did try installing 39c over 38, and then reverted over the 39c changes back to 38, although if this behaviour was impossible in both versions, than I am truly baffled as to why it has occurred.  As for mods, there are ZERO mods installed for this (not even tileset changes). 

Another point I'm wondering about: how will I differentiate my trading with the Human caravan (who have not yet left) from my trading with the Kobold caravan?  Since this is (seemingly) unprecedented, I doubt anyone has ever had two caravans at their depot at the same time, ever.  I may have to "appropriate" some goods from those greedy Humans...

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 05:42:36 pm »

Save your game as a copy, go to the bugs forum and post it there. I think Toady needs to see this, this could be a bug, even though it's not in the latest version it could still affect the latest version.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 06:03:06 pm »

Long time lurker, first time poster. I also registered specifically for this issue.

Although in my case, its not kobold caravans. Its goblin caravans. Though ironically they bring better stuff to trade than elves, it still sucks.

Everyone is peaceful! That basically renders the entire military aspect of the game pointless. Soldiers, weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, crossbow making, bolt making, fortifications, traps, siege engineering. You don't even need walls anymore. Whats the point? Its not like anything is gonna attack.

I've tried fiddling with the 39c in every way I could think up, I've even tried generating worlds with only goblins and dorfs and put them right next to each other. They simply refuse to fight no matter what I do. The only actual siege I have had happen since 39a/b/c was from the elves.

Since goblins and dorfs never go to war with each other, there's no conflict in the game anymore, turning it basically into SimCity instead of Evil Genius or Dungeon Keeper.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 06:05:20 pm »

Build another depot.

EDIT: Elfs are the new goblins. They are now corpse eating maniacs in worldgen.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 06:11:04 pm »

I've had multiple caravans at the same depot just fine. It even gives me a neat little screen to select which caravan I want to trade with.

I have, by removing the [INTELLIGENT] tag from goblins, caused them to lay siege to my fortress, but the siege AI is horrific when I do that. They don't actually move to attack even though there's a clear path. They just hang around at the edge of the map forever. I'm not sure if this is related to removing the [INTELLIGENT] tag, thus possibly causing them to behave like various wild animals, but it is the only way I've managed to get any sort of siege going on since 39.

DeadRoseRed

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Is something burning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 06:13:32 pm »

I had one Goblin siege last year, which was repelled with some minor loss of life (and a small string of suicides after that), but After checking the Civ menu again, I think I too am at peace with the Goblins.  Ironically, they are at war with my parent civilization, but are perfectly happy with me.

Also, I don't know if a new depot would be completed in time to trade with the Kobold merchants

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 06:14:02 pm »

Long time lurker, first time poster. I also registered specifically for this issue.

Although in my case, its not kobold caravans. Its goblin caravans. Though ironically they bring better stuff to trade than elves, it still sucks.

Everyone is peaceful! That basically renders the entire military aspect of the game pointless. Soldiers, weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, crossbow making, bolt making, fortifications, traps, siege engineering. You don't even need walls anymore. Whats the point? Its not like anything is gonna attack.

I've tried fiddling with the 39c in every way I could think up, I've even tried generating worlds with only goblins and dorfs and put them right next to each other. They simply refuse to fight no matter what I do. The only actual siege I have had happen since 39a/b/c was from the elves.

Since goblins and dorfs never go to war with each other, there's no conflict in the game anymore, turning it basically into SimCity instead of Evil Genius or Dungeon Keeper.

I guess everything will be sorted out later on, when Toady will work more on the Army Arc. Right now only the basics are in AFAIK. That is why you will see friendly goblins/kobolds/whatever in the current version.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 06:16:30 pm »

I didn't think to take a screenshot of the previous goblin caravan, but I'm trying out a surface town now. My game is somewhat heavily modded, but mostly dealing with stone and metals and the like. All of my fiddling with the civ file is from trying to get some sort of conflict going on. I noticed the humans and goblins do fight all the time, so I tired to copy and paste the human ethics list into the dorfs ethics list...but they're still peaceful. Even tried to make goblins prefer to live in detailed caves so hopefully they'd attempt to take over dorf cities, but again, no dice.
Pages: [1] 2 3