Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133924 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #1020 on: November 09, 2009, 02:08:54 am »

This is a relatively serious thread. Otherwise I would have put forward the Imolator glove already.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 09, 2009, 06:15:49 am »

What you need is an island, in lava!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Angellus

« Reply #1022 on: November 09, 2009, 08:50:49 am »

How would a medieval knight stand against zombies?
He would hack away with his weapon, and it would be like canned food for the zombies, unaccesible.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 09, 2009, 09:37:48 am »

It depends how the disease is spread, if it's through their saliva/blood, then if it gets into his eyes or mouth then he's screwed.

If he has to actually die to become a zombie, then he's still screwed, as the mass of bodies would eventually suffocate him.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 09, 2009, 02:16:49 pm »

He does need to pee, shit, eat, etc. which he can't do all the time in his armor. Unless he wants to turn into a fungus infested mutant, he'd have to bathe as well. His weapon isn't exactly made out of diamond either and will get blunt and pathetic really easily, after which he'd probably end up punching zombies in the face, which would be entertaining though stupid.

Not to mention the noise and racket that would come from walking around in a full suit of armor. Not exactly stealth material.

Angellus

« Reply #1025 on: November 09, 2009, 02:34:04 pm »

He does need to pee, shit, eat, etc. which he can't do all the time in his armor. Unless he wants to turn into a fungus infested mutant, he'd have to bathe as well. His weapon isn't exactly made out of diamond either and will get blunt and pathetic really easily, after which he'd probably end up punching zombies in the face, which would be entertaining though stupid.

Not to mention the noise and racket that would come from walking around in a full suit of armor. Not exactly stealth material.
Modern day, full cover kevlar material?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1026 on: November 09, 2009, 02:52:02 pm »

Kevlar would be worthless in terms of zombie protection- or at most no better than a good leather jacket. They wouldn't be able to bite through it, but they could bash you just as easily through the flexible kevlar.

Factor the increased weight, making it more difficult to avoid zombies in the first place, and you're in trouble.

As for classical armor, it's possible that they couldn't bite and bludgeon you- but only for so long. The armor would eventually start to literally fall apart. Even if you where well trained in it's use, zombies would eventually be able to tear bits off and get to the soft, tasty bits inside.

Best to go for the classical thick but conventional clothing and ranged weapons. If you need to go into arm's reach, Ur doin it wrong.

Now, if you have a bulletproof vest and a helmet, and you're up on your fire escape sniping the z's, when you're ambushed from inside the building, then that's more understandable. In that case you can just start climbing the escape, and the armor shouldn't slow you too much and may provide some protection.

Presumably someone in armor will eventually find a place to change out occasionally.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Angellus

« Reply #1027 on: November 09, 2009, 03:00:53 pm »

Kevlar would be worthless in terms of zombie protection- or at most no better than a good leather jacket. They wouldn't be able to bite through it, but they could bash you just as easily through the flexible kevlar.

Factor the increased weight, making it more difficult to avoid zombies in the first place, and you're in trouble.

As for classical armor, it's possible that they couldn't bite and bludgeon you- but only for so long. The armor would eventually start to literally fall apart. Even if you where well trained in it's use, zombies would eventually be able to tear bits off and get to the soft, tasty bits inside.

Best to go for the classical thick but conventional clothing and ranged weapons. If you need to go into arm's reach, Ur doin it wrong.

Now, if you have a bulletproof vest and a helmet, and you're up on your fire escape sniping the z's, when you're ambushed from inside the building, then that's more understandable. In that case you can just start climbing the escape, and the armor shouldn't slow you too much and may provide some protection.

Presumably someone in armor will eventually find a place to change out occasionally.
Armor to me would mean protection against bites and scratches.
Ranged weapons still have the problem that they need ammunition, and for small amounts of zombies a close range with proper protection might be the way to go...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 09, 2009, 03:08:14 pm »

Try and bite/scratch your way through an old coat.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Angellus

« Reply #1029 on: November 09, 2009, 03:11:50 pm »

Try and bite/scratch your way through an old coat.
With or without rabies?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 09, 2009, 08:11:35 pm »

3 or four layers of denim would be pretty effective, but they could get caught in it and you wouldn't want to be dragging a zombie around. fighting zombies solo is a pretty bad proposition, you basically need a perfect defence combined with more speed than a single zombie has, a tank would be good while it lasted...

But if you are not alone then a group of trained people in high-quality heavy armour could probably keep going almost indefinitely so long as the zombies didn't get to wherever people are going while it isn't their shift...
It should be pretty easy to affix coverings over the eyes and face to let light and air through but block splatters, but I still think that you would be better off with a strong fence and some long spears...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 09, 2009, 09:21:46 pm »

Let's not get into how idiotically ineffective spears would be (again). They are for inflicting organ damage and bleeding; DF is pretty accurate in that respect. Think of zombies like magma men: it won't effing work. And a fence might be very poor against the traditional undead mob, thinking in terms of sheer numbers.

I think your best bet would be a rough concrete building of some kind, with restricted access. Any older military installation or old Cold War bomb shelter would do. After that it's a matter of securing supplies. Concrete could theoretically be damaged by endless clawing, but rough concrete shreds flesh and would create a slimy surface. If you had roof access and a bit of ammo, even better, but a pyramid of undead crushing each other to get to you isn't beyond possibility. I think anything based on simply staying higher than zombies is likely to fail.

Imo, it's silly to plan around ideal constructions like the "Ideal anti-zombie wall", because if you had a window to prepare something like that, zombies would never be a threat in the first place. If I believed a zombie plague could spread, my plan would be to find 3-5 girls I know and trust not to turn into screaming idiots, at most 2 dependable guy friends (probably from my highschool football team, because I know exactly how athletic they are and how they hold up to stress). After that, assuming it all goes as I like, we'd head to any one of the isolated secure local buildings. Something along the lines of one of the old asylums or military bunkers would be ideal, but hard to access. I'm in Alabama, so old military installations are common and everyone has plenty of weaponry. We also know how to use it. If we had 600 .22 caliber long rifle bullets and a single correctly sited rifle, I'd kill ~590 zombies up to 100 yards. With a scope, something like 500/600 at 300 yards. A .22 bullet will travel around a mile, but its accuracy is poor after a few hundred yards (think slightly short meters).

The people I'd be taking along are all locals and know how to handle weapons. Any silly talk about running out of ammo should be dropped right now. If you have to face more than a few hundred zombies at a time, you won't be able to fight them with melee. If there are too many to shoot, you're screwed.

And believe me, there are enough bullets in any city in Alabama (granted there are only about 5 major cities) to kill half the US. That's just in the shops and stockpiles; I'm not counting private owners. Go over to a more redneck state like Mississippi or Arkansas, and there won't be anything non-living walking around a day or two after word gets out. "Let's go Zombie-shining!"
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 10, 2009, 12:17:42 am »

Let's not get into how idiotically ineffective spears would be (again). They are for inflicting organ damage and bleeding; DF is pretty accurate in that respect. Think of zombies like magma men: it won't effing work. And a fence might be very poor against the traditional undead mob, thinking in terms of sheer numbers.

I think your best bet would be a rough concrete building of some kind, with restricted access. Any older military installation or old Cold War bomb shelter would do. After that it's a matter of securing supplies. Concrete could theoretically be damaged by endless clawing, but rough concrete shreds flesh and would create a slimy surface. If you had roof access and a bit of ammo, even better, but a pyramid of undead crushing each other to get to you isn't beyond possibility. I think anything based on simply staying higher than zombies is likely to fail.

Imo, it's silly to plan around ideal constructions like the "Ideal anti-zombie wall", because if you had a window to prepare something like that, zombies would never be a threat in the first place. If I believed a zombie plague could spread, my plan would be to find 3-5 girls I know and trust not to turn into screaming idiots, at most 2 dependable guy friends (probably from my highschool football team, because I know exactly how athletic they are and how they hold up to stress). After that, assuming it all goes as I like, we'd head to any one of the isolated secure local buildings. Something along the lines of one of the old asylums or military bunkers would be ideal, but hard to access. I'm in Alabama, so old military installations are common and everyone has plenty of weaponry. We also know how to use it. If we had 600 .22 caliber long rifle bullets and a single correctly sited rifle, I'd kill ~590 zombies up to 100 yards. With a scope, something like 500/600 at 300 yards. A .22 bullet will travel around a mile, but its accuracy is poor after a few hundred yards (think slightly short meters).

The people I'd be taking along are all locals and know how to handle weapons. Any silly talk about running out of ammo should be dropped right now. If you have to face more than a few hundred zombies at a time, you won't be able to fight them with melee. If there are too many to shoot, you're screwed.

And believe me, there are enough bullets in any city in Alabama (granted there are only about 5 major cities) to kill half the US. That's just in the shops and stockpiles; I'm not counting private owners. Go over to a more redneck state like Mississippi or Arkansas, and there won't be anything non-living walking around a day or two after word gets out. "Let's go Zombie-shining!"

TL;DR
You're plans suck because my friends and I are badass and know everything and we are superior.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 10, 2009, 12:33:58 am »

I think your best bet would be a rough concrete building of some kind, with restricted access.

That seems about right.

But... .22? Isn't that tiny? And lack stopping power/penetrative force entirely?

Didn't one of your Presidents get shot by a .22 and not even notice until after his speech?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 10, 2009, 12:54:12 am »

Didn't one of your Presidents get shot by a .22 and not even notice until after his speech?

I actually did lol at this statement.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 101