Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133883 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #960 on: November 01, 2009, 10:23:50 pm »

No, they use it to burn their entire bodies, not serious damage, just painful enough to make them surrender.

You can however turn the power up enough to literally microwave oven them.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #961 on: November 01, 2009, 10:38:27 pm »

What about sonic-wave cannons?

Basically, it's a megaphone amplified with an explosive. There should be enough trauma caused by the shockwave to disorient the zombies.

But then again, a simpler solution is always considering zombies like invasions in DF; funnel them into a series of traps. In this case, land mines. Easy enough to replace if in a controlled area in which people who are alive and can read know not to cross the minefield.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: November 02, 2009, 01:40:22 am »

It's a matter of efficiency. Bullet to the head vs several mines (or one big enough to get definite kill) vs power for a EMR-gun
Even the avatars expire eventually.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: November 02, 2009, 03:12:27 am »

Bullets depend on accuracy, effectiveness, and supply. You will probably find yourself losing significantly more bullets than zombies and they are probably quite difficult to produce to sufficiently high quality without some respectable equipment.
The mines should be easier to improvise but will be quite random in their effectiveness and require large amounts of raw materials to construct.
To power an energy weapon to be lethal over a decent area for any length of time would probably require some form of generator. Fuel generators have supply and air-quality issues. Solar and wind generators would be good but are lacking in effectiveness. Most other methods require a power station, which could be a good option but would need some pretty serious maintenance...

I wonder if you could build a bunker that can shoot fuel-air bombs out of the roof. Whenever you want supplies just keep launching them until all the zombies trying to get in are disposed of and remember to restock the bombs before you leave.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: November 02, 2009, 02:00:02 pm »

You dont have to plug it in you know, because its a tank.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #965 on: November 02, 2009, 02:13:08 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:14:36 pm by Stany »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 02, 2009, 06:00:30 pm »

but the problem with nuking all the zombies, is
A) It removes any and all possibilities of FUN, such as shooting, blowing up, and running.
B)There's always the chance that if they are the Undead zombies, that the radiation wouldn't kill them, simply make them poisonous to the surrounding area.  If it's a virus, radiation has wierd effects on genetic material......  and the possibilities of "super" zombies is pretty darn high.
Nom nom nom

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 02, 2009, 07:13:12 pm »

I found a sweet as hell island we could live on while I was doing some research for an unrelated topic. It was formed by a volcanoe that is now extinct. The magma pipe capped up and collapsed in, so the mouth is filled with rainwater making a natural lake. Strong tides and winds eroded away like half the island, and the volcano is dead center. The result is that there is a sheer cliff face on one side, and the lake sitting in the mouth trickles down it due to a small channel that has been eroded. The rest of the island is flat, tropical forest.

The terraform plan: Step one, use concrete to re-inforce the outside of the mouth. Step two, widen and deepen the waterfall channel. Step three, build a hydro-electric dam that is powered by the falling water, on the waterfall. Step four, build a water treatment plant on the outside of the volcano, level with the deepest part of the mouth. Step five, plumbing and electrical wiring. Step six, build the anti-zombie wall we have devised all around the coast. Step seven, a reasonable distance out, make a perimeter in the water with shark nets. Step eight, get industrial housing and farmland up and running. Step nine, strike the earth.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #968 on: November 02, 2009, 09:36:54 pm »

Worldgen info, now.

And let's not forget, radiation can make radioactive zombies as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:38:35 pm by Itnetlolor »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 02, 2009, 10:15:20 pm »

It's located somewhere off of Canada, which is doubly cool for two reasons. Zombies will freeze during winter for sure, summer is probably the only time they'll barely begin to move. IIRC, heating takes less energy than cooling, so the hydroelectric power would go farther.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 02, 2009, 11:21:27 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 02, 2009, 11:26:38 pm »

No offence, but it isnt so much the radiation that kills them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd1IFjBNNVo
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 02, 2009, 11:38:23 pm »

Reading all this has inspired me greatly. Now, my zombie strategy is as follows:

1. Check if I'm not a zombie.
2. If not a zombie, find the homes of people you know actively prepared for the zombie invasion with ridiculous amounts of forethought and survival gear, beat the undead crap out of their likely zombiefied forms (or live forms, in the unlikely chance they are still alive and possibly amazed that there's still someone out there who isn't a dead thing).

Clearly, it is my best possible outcome for least amount of work. I don't value living in a zombie infested world to be too valuable, so even instant death by paranoid gun-owner is still a plus.

<3
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 03, 2009, 06:22:37 am »

A nuke can be expected to take out a geeat many zombies, but if they are magic zombies than many are likely to survive, and they will be radioactive, probably with no adverse effects. So, is it better to have a large chunk of land you can't use and a mess of radioactive zombies running around, or a limitless horde of zombies that you can't kill?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: November 03, 2009, 06:37:17 am »

Face it; without heavy industry, hundreds (or even thousands) of people and months (or years) of preparation as well as nigh-unlimited resources, surviving a Zombie apocalypse is effectively impossible.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 101