Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133824 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #915 on: October 31, 2009, 11:45:01 am »

Sure, with a german broadsword all you have to do is hack and slash and stuff gets done, but the Katana requires an amount of skill and finesse that the average joe, namely, me, does not have.
  ::)
You seriously think that there was no skill involved in knightly fighting? Why the hell did they spend their entire lives training?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 31, 2009, 11:51:13 am »

BIG SWORD MAKES ME STRONG.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 31, 2009, 12:04:02 pm »

With all the spear discussion, it's important to clarify what type of point you are talking about. In my zombie kit (mentioned earlier) The head is lined up perfectly with the shaft so that nothing sticks outwards. If it got in, it'll be the same size going out, so a stuck weapon won't be happening. A barbed spearhead, yeah, you're fucked.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 31, 2009, 05:08:54 pm »

Bear in mind that splattering weapons may not be good from the perspective of avoiding infection, though I do like the idea of the scythe, not so much for killing zombies but just for incapacitating them. What about hand grenades and anti-personnel mines? Assuming you had a supplier or could improvise some up for yourself. You would want other weapons of course...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 31, 2009, 06:16:41 pm »

........Why not just have a wall of cement surronding you on wheels and havea pole to grab stuff with out the top?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 31, 2009, 07:15:46 pm »

........Why not just have a wall of cement surronding you on wheels and havea pole to grab stuff with out the top?
Possibility of zombies climbing up, would have to have very tall and smooth sides. Plus treads might do better than wheels.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 31, 2009, 07:21:33 pm »

upside down trapaziod... \_/ .... high enough so zombies cant climb.... no fuel needed you push it from the inside. Probably a stupid idea but more for "I have no supplies and am in a sea of zombies".

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 31, 2009, 07:55:08 pm »

So a giant skip?

I'm on a relatively small, but globally aware island, so QUARANTINE would probably mean I'd be alright.

Of course, I do have a zombie plan. Who doesn't?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 31, 2009, 07:55:52 pm »

upside down trapaziod... \_/ .... high enough so zombies cant climb.... no fuel needed you push it from the inside. Probably a stupid idea but more for "I have no supplies and am in a sea of zombies".
Theres no way that one could push that much cement for very long if at all. Maybe combine that kind of wall with any sort of compound though as a perimeter, add a thing that lets you patrol the top to make sure the bodies don't stack up.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 31, 2009, 10:19:24 pm »

Yeah, don't use cement, but unless they are tool-using zombies they are unlikely to get through any vaguely thick metal sheet, human flesh is pretty soft. But you will want to watch out for jumpers...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 01, 2009, 12:20:27 am »

Yeah, don't use cement, but unless they are tool-using zombies they are unlikely to get through any vaguely thick metal sheet, human flesh is pretty soft. But you will want to watch out for jumpers...
Add outward pointing spikes so they just impale themselves?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 01, 2009, 12:46:15 am »

Then the others have a convenient corpse to climb up, and besides, I was thinking more of zombies jumping from balconies. Unless you stick to flat terrain, but then you won't have any shelter and will get cooked...
Read the First Post!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 01, 2009, 12:46:39 am »

Well i cant think of anything else that won't rust in rain, and its strong enough to fend of punches. If zombies dont feel pain i dont think mashed up hands will keep them from their canned food.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 01, 2009, 12:57:55 am »

Metal can be treated against rust, but what you really want is a light, hand-driven tank. You would be better off having some sort of pedal-powered wheel mechanism than an open base...
Read the First Post!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 01, 2009, 01:02:06 am »

Well if ye build a cement wall, either from the top of surrounding buildings or just a regular wall in a more open area, and build it fairly high (like 20-30 ft?) in a trapazodal fasion then most zombs can't get in/up. For the jumpers add sharp (swordlike?) spikes or blades pointing outward which may help keeping them out if they can jump that high. If the zombs start piling up just pour some gas and light them up or something. This is where guards patroling the walls come in handy. At least thats my view on that particular project.

And RAM that might be a good idea, certainly is probably possible, but I would think that would be prone to breakdowns due to the number of parts that it would take to move a tank compared to fuel engines.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 101