Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133771 times)

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #900 on: October 30, 2009, 06:24:35 am »

Well as I'm pretty sure it said earlier in the thread it came down to the type of infection. And it's good to have a plan for all cases, along with a good knowledge of common and uncommon types of infected.

Magic Zombies:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shamblers :

Speed Freaks:

Mutants:

!?:

Non Standard:

Infection types

I'd mention headcrab under parasite.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: October 30, 2009, 04:28:43 pm »

Alright, I've read up to page 41. And not having yet finished, I just have to say I think wehtamjd92 is full of crap. So you'd rather try to physically dismember 600 zombies than pop them through the head with a no-recoil weapon? You expect someone to run out of .22 caliber ammo before you get tired? And you are 6'1", 200 lbs and well trained in martial arts?

Full of crap.

Anyone with any training or knowledge whatsoever would realize how much force it takes to physically destroy the capability for movement or retaliation in an opponent not affected by internal organ damage nor pain. And they would also realize how ridiculously impossible it would be to do so while not being bitten, or while facing more than 2 opponents at once, intelligent or not.

Broadswords, weighing 20 lbs, are exceptionally tiring to swing, and were never "dual-wielded" for that reason. Also, blunt or not they are still cutting weapons, and when blunt would be *much* more likely to become stuck. You're asking to die, and without something to use as a shield you won't have a large blocking surface nor a practical way of knocking zombies back and creating distance to use your broadsword (which requires some distance from your opponent to effectively swing, by the way). Something along the lines of a short mace, preferably lead-filled and squarish so as to be weighty, have focused impact points and not get stuck -that's what you would want if you HAD to fight at close quarters. If you have the option of not allowing them close enough to infect you, why in hell would you let them get close?

Also, polearms are used for stabbing, and if they had a heavy end the torque required to swing them would exhaust anyone strong enough to even do so. Research the Macedonian phalanx, if you don't understand.

Besides shooting down some ridiculous theories that continue to repeat themselves from the same few writers, I'll offer my own preferred zombie solution later :)
Oh, and umamin or whatever is right -people are not stupid, lazy, or selfish enough to allow the zombie apocalypse to happen (yes, we are all of those things, but not on the monumental level we would need to be). But assuming people act like they do in WWZ, and rabies somehow turns a majority of the population into biting infections psychopaths, it's fun to think of how to defend ourselves.

In other words, the zombie disease already exists, and were you to infect 1000 people with rabies and release them in NYC, you still wouldn't get a pandemic. (lol?) it's just silly. But fun.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 30, 2009, 04:47:37 pm »

Broadswords, weighing 20 lbs

No sword on the planet that is actually intended to be used in combat weighs 20 lbs.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 30, 2009, 05:25:15 pm »

Though, apparently, the sword of Grutte Pier 'has a length of 213 cm (84 in) and a weight of about 6.6 kg (14½ lb).[1]'
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Angellus

« Reply #904 on: October 30, 2009, 05:40:48 pm »

Yep, World War Z, and more importantly, The Zombie Survival Guide, will be your best friends in the coming zombie apacolypse.

Seriously, if you haven't read The Zombie Survival Guide, read it NOW, before it is to late. It is an excelent book, and even if you go into it with a critical mind, by the time you are half way through, I can gaurrentee you that you will be planning out what you will do when the zombies come.

On a tangential note: the World War Z movie is still moving slowly in production...  :'(
I like the looks of its predecessor:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide

EDIT: They were there in the middle ages!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:54:41 pm by Angellus »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 30, 2009, 06:21:00 pm »

I agree with most of your post, but I'd argue the humble polearm as being a decent weapon. Primarily, it's important to remember that polearms have a lot of variance. Most were designed as stabbing weapons (like the old greek spears), but there are slashing spears. For example, the war scythe would be a ferocious anti-zombie weapon if you had one.
A halberd wouldn't work quite as well, but is still usable as a chopper.

However, even the normal spear would be a decent zombie killer. Fighting has always been focused around effective range. It's no rifle, but a spear keeps zack out of his fighting range. Additionally, if one is sheltered behind an open barrier (like a barred window), a spear has the benefit of letting you dispatch zombies with relative safety and no ammo use.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 30, 2009, 11:33:58 pm »

Although i agree it is fun to plan what to do in a zombie apocalypse, most standing militaries are twice as well trained and equipped as your wildest feasible dreams.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 30, 2009, 11:45:00 pm »

THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT SHALL RUN THROUGH THE STREETS AS I CONSUME THEIR LIVES. NOT A CHILD SHALL GO UNWEEPING AND NOT A MOTHER SHALL BE WITHOUT LOSS.

THEIR CORPSES SHALL BE ANIMATED TO FULFILL THEIR GREATEST NIGHTMARES, WHATEVER SHREDS OF THEIR SOULD STILL LINGERING IN THIS PLANE GOING THROUGH THE TORMENT OF STRIKING DOWN THEIR LOVED ONES. I HOLD NO INTEREST IN THE HUNTING OF THE SURVIVORS, AS THEY SHALL LIVE IN A WORLD HAUNTED BY THE NIGHTMARES OF THE DAMMED ONES. YOUR PLANS ARE FUTILE BEFORE MY RAGE.

Augh! It happened again! Why? Why me?!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 31, 2009, 12:25:51 am »

I don't honestly know.

Anyway, on the topic of the Zombie Survival Guide, I'm generally in agreement with it, though there's some points which are rather iffy.

One of them is his love for the shaolin spade as a weapon, his reasoning being that one thrust can decapitate a zombie. One strike? Hello? It's virtually impossible to do that in real life, what with the spine.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 31, 2009, 12:53:07 am »

Butterfly AXES!

Tires you out like nothing else, but are designed to not snag on bone or spinal cord.
Decapitations imminent.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 31, 2009, 01:04:58 am »

I don't see how they came to that conclusion, the only way i could imagine decapitation with that thing is to jump down onto their head. not to mention most polearms are intended to deal with cavalry. Or to keep them at a distance. And considering that to keep a horde of hundreds possibly thousands of zombies away you would need quite a few people, more than one. Also most polearms are very heavy, a standerd 15th century halberd weighs around 75lb's, easily tiring most people out in a few swings.

very few weapons can decapitate targets easily. Katana's which where made to cut their target in half (shoulder to hip), and large axes which a good cleave can easily decapitate provided it's sufficiently sharp (but have the downside of being slow and clumsy), and a few swords not commonly used, such as the Zweihandler which if a good swing could decapitate multiple people in one attack.

One of the down sides to these mighty decapitators is that they're two handed, and usually pretty heavy, which weighs you down, and prevents you from using a shield properly. If you had to pick a melee weapon, stick away from knives and machetes because they can easily get stuck. Blunt weapons could be a good choice, but can be heavy, short, and painful if you don't know how to swing it correctly. A Sabre would be a good choice since they where intended to slash and carve deep in, but the best choice would likely be a katana, light weight, some one handed and made to cut people in half.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: October 31, 2009, 03:21:54 am »

Katanas are made for shallow slashing attacks. The principle shoulder to hip attack was actually a slash, not a "cut in half". If you tried hard enough, you could possibly decapitate someone with at katana, but the swords are very susceptible to damage, so you would want to hope that it cuts through the spine easily.

Also, the entirety of the above statement is very unfounded, and I will detract it as soon as someone finds evidence to prove otherwise.

Another problem - Katanas require training. Even in the way that a simple cut is done is different to everything else. Sure, with a german broadsword all you have to do is hack and slash and stuff gets done, but the Katana requires an amount of skill and finesse that the average joe, namely, me, does not have.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: October 31, 2009, 03:42:19 am »

you would need quite a few people
Ooooooh, good idea, get a bunch of recreationists together, form a phalanx, and party like Spartans!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: October 31, 2009, 04:45:33 am »

I don't see how they came to that conclusion, the only way i could imagine decapitation with that thing is to jump down onto their head.

A decapitation'd render the zombie for most part inert; they'd have zero mobility. You can deal with his friends in similar ways, then destroy the heads however you wanted to. At least, that was his reasoning.

I personally think that something like a medieval warhammer has something to be said for it, or a trenching shovel has something to be said for it, if you complement it with a secondary weapon that can be wielded one handed, and quickly. Warhammers were designed for punching through armour, after all, and trenching shovels for trench warfare. But you need a fast, one handed weapon like a light hatchet that you can draw in a hurry, for when your main weapon gets stuck.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 31, 2009, 11:37:18 am »

I agree with most of your post, but I'd argue the humble polearm as being a decent weapon. Primarily, it's important to remember that polearms have a lot of variance. Most were designed as stabbing weapons (like the old greek spears), but there are slashing spears. For example, the war scythe would be a ferocious anti-zombie weapon if you had one.
A halberd wouldn't work quite as well, but is still usable as a chopper.

However, even the normal spear would be a decent zombie killer. Fighting has always been focused around effective range. It's no rifle, but a spear keeps zack out of his fighting range. Additionally, if one is sheltered behind an open barrier (like a barred window), a spear has the benefit of letting you dispatch zombies with relative safety and no ammo use.

It's true that fighting can only be done at effective range; zombies can't swipe you from 4 feet away. However, spears are bloodletting weapons. They get stuck at nearly every strike if they hit bone and gristle, requiring time to free, and you won't be hitting soft targets when fighting the living dead. Their only vulnerable spots are protected by bone (the central nervous system). I took this point as a given: you can't use bloodletting weapons against zombies. So any piercing weapon like a spear is useless for its conventional purpose. Didn't feel the need to explain that at first, but it seems it was necessary.

To use your example, if you hide behind a barrier and try to "dispatch" them, you'll just get your spear stuck, and lose it. They don't feel pain, they don't need circulation, and they're going to keep pushing forward with your useless spear in their stomach, chest, or throat.

Scythes are practical, but actually one of the most inefficient (physics- and energy-wise) weapons for decapitation (which DOES require a lot of physical strength), though one of the easiest for anyone to use once taught. Yea, didn't even feel the need to cover the halberd. It's for fighting heavy cavalry, when higher mass and a sharp point/edge was necessary to stop momentum and pierce heavy armor.

As far as the weight of the broadswords...
I set traps and walls if they get past those then I deal with them systematically by duel weilding 20lb broad swords or a wide array of other weapons from throwing axes to dart guns and tonfa not to mention martial arts like Muy thai which has alot of "destroy head" moves.

This guy was spamming a lot of this stuff. I imagine there could be 20 lb broadswords, but there was just too much bullshit in his posts to wade through without choking on it. It's what prompted me to post before finishing the thread.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 101