Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 83966 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #780 on: July 12, 2008, 11:59:22 pm »

The worldgen time shouldn't be too bad unless you try for the max sized world.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 13, 2008, 01:02:05 am »

Well, probably worldgen will take a lot longer, but  it isn't like you make a new world for every fort.

... do you?

Honestly, yeah, sometimes, usually depends on if I can find another fortress location on that map.

Sometimes though theres so many bloody aquifers it takes several new maps to find a good world.  :P

Though personally I wont worry to much about world gen times anyways.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 13, 2008, 01:06:14 am »

I was just thinking.. So, toady added a worldmap editor, right? Does this include rivers, or is it just editing what tile is what? (I.E. this tile was grassland, and is now a mountain)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #783 on: July 13, 2008, 01:10:21 am »

I was just thinking.. So, toady added a worldmap editor, right? Does this include rivers, or is it just editing what tile is what? (I.E. this tile was grassland, and is now a mountain)
Interesting question. I can't recall there being any sort of definitive answer.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 13, 2008, 01:29:06 am »

Wait, Dwarf Fortress will probably be updated on Monday? On my Birthday?

For me, the day I have to travel 350 miles, the next day, travel 350 miles back. Gyah.

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 13, 2008, 01:41:26 am »

Oooogh... I just realized... Has anyone thought about how much all the new worldgen features will affect worldgen times? I mean, with all the diplomacy and individual histories for every peasant and child snatching and war-fighting and trophy collecting, won't it take at least half an hour where it used to take 5 minutes? Once again, DWAAARF FORTRESS will reclaim its place as the king of loadtimes.

With all the configuration options that let you curl the map size and history I really doubt this will be a problem. Those who want a quickly generated world can have it, and those who want a big complex world can easily handle a three hour wait for it.

Yeah, I really like the big complex worlds.  It sounds like Toady has made it flexible enough to meet most playing styles, and I can't wait to try it out.  :)
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 13, 2008, 02:17:15 am »

(I.E. this tile was grassland, and is now a mountain)

Duuude! Instant HFS!! :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 13, 2008, 04:03:09 am »

It shouldn't be too bad. Taking along a few cave wheat seeds and rock nuts should alleviate most of the problem. I just hope the dwarves will actually, y'know, be smart enough to pick dwarven beer biscuits over wine roasts when they're sick of the latter.
Toady answered in another thread.
To clarify -- for foods they like, distance is divided by 2 and then 30 is subtracted.  For foods they are tired of, distance is multiplied by 4 and 100 is added.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 13, 2008, 10:13:25 am »

Nooooooo!  :-[

One left...
Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 13, 2008, 10:35:40 am »

Wait, Dwarf Fortress will probably be updated on Monday?

On my Birthday?

Of course this is chance, but Holy-freakin-moley...

And now, preparing for a rush of awesomeness.

This will be my first update of DF then, exciting.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 13, 2008, 10:59:41 am »

I shouldn't have gotten back into STALKER.  I'll probably play the new DF in a week or so, see if any bugfixes come out.
Shoes...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 13, 2008, 11:12:04 am »

STALKER's fairly awesome too...
Course, I stopped playing it once its actual usage of my 5.1 speakers scared the bejaysus (pun intended) out of me...  Damn loud noises out of nowhere during a blowout...

On topic, I can really believe four items took two days to fix/do..  Coding's a pain when it doesn't work out the way you want.
And apparently Firefox dislikes the word coding when there's an apostrophe to mark "Coding is".
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 13, 2008, 12:03:19 pm »

Yeah, it does that a lot.  Was it the scripted blowout at the end of the game, or are you using the blowout mod?

I'm using AliVe/Redux, it's really good, but the early game sucks because Nimble immediately heads out to the Dark Valley.  I wonder if I couldn't find a console command to give me the flash drive.  Redux adds realism(Bandages don't heal, less health, stronger bleeding, enemies bleed, anomalies are invisible, tracer rounds, all kinds of stuff), and AliVe unchains NPCs, makes monsters roam, lots of fun.  The soldiers under Agroprom got massacred by Bloodsuckers, it was crazy.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 13, 2008, 12:09:10 pm »

I am lost... I can only guess that Stalker is some sort of Freeware game? A sci-fi freeware game?

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 13, 2008, 12:13:38 pm »

I am lost... I can only guess that Stalker is some sort of Freeware game? A sci-fi freeware game?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:_Shadow_of_Chernobyl

Good game, although silly-tough in places. Definitely not Freeware. But it is sci-fi though
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 64