Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: got regional prospector working (39+)  (Read 16073 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: got regional prospector working (39b)
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:30:34 pm »

Ah, sorry, my bad too. i'm just tired of knee jerk "teh cheat! Looserz!" reaction that pervades even this generally pleasant forum.

I, too, have been mostly impressed by the people here, and am glad to have diffused that misunderstanding. I believe, however, that this thread was about Regional Prospector and mmeurk being awesome and making it compatible with the new version.
Yes, it is. Some people want to create a 3x3 fortress that has HFS in it, THAT is something that cannot be affected by world gen parameters. That is why I am glad this has been done, though it seems it's lava finding properties don't quite work anymore. Have to keep exploring to be 100% sure.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 10:00:25 pm »

Just to make my position on this clear, as I see Dwarf Fortress as a toy, the idea of cheating at it is a little... odd.

Now, if the game you want to play is "keep making fortresses until you eventually see everything", I can see the appeal, and for that game using regional prospector would indeed be cheating.  But since the only person enforcing the rules is you, it's not my place to decide how you should play.

If you want to play a different game with DF, such as "mine adamantine and avoid destruction by demons, while using as many map features as possible", then there's no rule against regional prospector.

Now, if this were a competition, there would be completely different rules...

As is, though, I occasionally use Regional Prospector if I want a fortress with HFS, but otherwise don't bother with it.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 10:03:11 pm »

Do you have the memory addresses for the deployed map data? (for 3Dwarf...)

Perhaps we can work on getting a collective mindshare of memory locations updated on the Wiki or something so we can use the tools immediately instead of waiting for updated memory locations for each tool.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

mmeurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 10:46:53 pm »

Do you have the memory addresses for the deployed map data? (for 3Dwarf...)

Perhaps we can work on getting a collective mindshare of memory locations updated on the Wiki or something so we can use the tools immediately instead of waiting for updated memory locations for each tool.

Well, regional prospector doesn't really rely on memory locations. It basically searches for a bit of machine code and replaces it with some hand written relocatable assembly. It will generally continue to work on new versions as long as the the code that it replaces does not change. It seems the code was updated, I assume, to handle display of roads in the local map.

That said I have found a few memory addresses for another DF related project, but nothing related to maps. A wiki page for memory locations would be great.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 11:27:19 am »

It still doesn't work for me but it works on my brother's computer.  Strange
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

mmeurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:08 pm »

The link works for me, but the application doesn't:

"The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

Am I doing something wrong?

It still doesn't work for me but it works on my brother's computer.  Strange

Hmmm, try this version: http://www.filedropper.com/regionalprospector39_2

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 01:13:17 pm »

mmeurk: Thanks for your work reviving this tool.  One question though - can you perform the same modification to the RP beta 3 or is that executeable unusable as a starting point?
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 01:32:19 pm »

Just to make my position on this clear, as I see Dwarf Fortress as a toy, the idea of cheating at it is a little... odd.

Now, if the game you want to play is "keep making fortresses until you eventually see everything", I can see the appeal, and for that game using regional prospector would indeed be cheating.  But since the only person enforcing the rules is you, it's not my place to decide how you should play.

If you want to play a different game with DF, such as "mine adamantine and avoid destruction by demons, while using as many map features as possible", then there's no rule against regional prospector.

As is, though, I occasionally use Regional Prospector if I want a fortress with HFS, but otherwise don't bother with it.
Well, cheating in Dwarf Fortress is exceptionally easy. I view the regional prospector as "the dwarven Geologist"

Certain things happen in reality that make finding certain features, paticularly magma features, much easier. Finding a volcano on earth is as simple as finding a hot sulpher spring. Underground lakes and rivers I could understand not finding, but geologically active areas, where magma would be found, have certain things that happen around them, even if there is no volcano.
Realistically, Dwarves setting out would probably prospect a large area before siting mines. And they would certainly look for the resources required for a city before finding them. Since Dwarf Fortress lacks a "Prospector Mode" with Adventurers, such activities as using regional prospector fill the hole.

When my adventurer in adventure mode can smell sulfer vents around volcanos and watch for sections of waters that don't freeze when they should, then we can discuss how regional prospector is a cheat that doesn't make sense. You want to discuss cheating, how about fortresses that have inpassable entrences? The ones with draw bridges across chasms, and those with walls instead of doors. That's more significant then making up for the fact that an Adventurer cannot prospect or the fact that most computers cannot handle 17x17 size sites.

I'd happily make massive Engineering projects to bring magma to my fortress rather then use regional prospector, but my poor computer couldn't take it!

So stare down your nose at people all you want. I've made successful fortresses on Terrifying coasts without a drop of fresh water, Using regional prospector to give me flowing magma and water to allow a total sandbox area isn't something I will give up, until I can go from adventurer prospector to dwarf fortress that is...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 01:41:35 pm »

Not really. The joys of the community is that "tournament" rules can be agreed about. Like "for this, Summer 2008 Urist Award Competition, use of external editor tools is prohibited, so no "auto-heal Thikut and insta-kill the megabeast" is allowed. Regional Prospector is permitted."

EDIT: Hell, Regional Prospector use could be *mandatory* if you wanted to ensure that all competitors started with the same amount of features, with rules like "no adamantine" or "no magma vents/pipes/volcanoes allowed".
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:44:15 pm by Sergius »

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 02:37:18 pm »

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

mmeurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 03:44:51 pm »

Glad to hear it's working. Is anyone still having problems?

(...) can you perform the same modification to the RP beta 3 or is that executeable unusable as a starting point?

I wasn't aware that there was a newer version. I will look into it.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 05:58:48 pm »

Glad to hear it's working. Is anyone still having problems?
It works fine now, thanks.

Well, aside from that odd river issue. It's perfectly functional, at least.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 09:04:29 pm »

now what I would really like to see is support for viewing dwarven tunnels.

Unless of course I am missing something...
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SwiftSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 03:18:46 am »

Either my maps are failing to contain lava or my RP is failing to idenfity lava spots.  One way or another it sucks because lava was the whole reason I wanted it.
laceholder Signature

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 11:21:13 am »

It's finding lava for me. Are you sure you're looking in the right biomes?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4