Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: To Battle!  (Read 4225 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To Battle!
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 07:40:06 pm »

Note, I never said "evil races more willing to forgive each other". I figure their diplomacy should be left neutral: they don't actively seek to destroy each other, but as we can see, they will happily go to savage war given the slightest opportunity.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 07:56:08 pm »

Quote from: Erk
Methinks the "good/evil" distinction needs to be reinstated, making Good races more willing to forgive each other and Evil races more eager to go to war with the Good.

I believe Evil should be more eager to to war with anyone, no matter what "alliance" they have. After all, evil turns in upon itself. Evil is like a snake that eats its own tail.

But at the same time, if the evil race wanted too be extremely powerful, they would band together. I think, when toady gets around to defining how evil a evil race is, there should be a possibility that the evil races band together (Not kobold with goblins.. but like 2 goblin civilizations). Same with the good races..

On another note, the elves rock now! Too bad they have massive casualties when they actually win. You would think that they would use silver for weapons (elves are usually depicted with that), or at least iron..

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 07:59:25 pm »

I generated a world with a town on the north shore of a huge lake in the world's center. Over the course of 200 years of Worldgen, that town, Scalegorges, hosted atkeast ten wars, mainly between the elves and humans.

It was originally held by Elves, when the humans first attacked, their leader was named "Mater Prophetfills". Essentially, he was a total badass who in the course of thirty years (from about year 20 to 50) and three wars, killed 30 elves, includng two defense/offense leaders before finially being killed.

Looking at his bio later, I noticed he was married, and had several children.

Attempting to follow his bloodline 150 years to the present day, I noticed tow things:

1.) Very few of his descendants lived more than thirty years, even the peaeful farmer-types.

2.) Almost every line was a dead end, to the point where I concluded that there was only one blood relative of Mater left.

That one descendant was Kothvir Dippedjuggler. Over the course of five or so generations, his family had moved several times, eventually settling in Burnflickered on the south side of the lake.

I created an adventurer and went to Burnflickered to speak with him, when I got there I found out three things:

1.) He was a shopkeeper.

2.) He had no knowledge of his ancestor, when asked about his family he just went on and on about his dead aunt.

3.) His wife was killed a few years ago. Before they could have a child

Kinda sad once you think about it, since people don't remarry last I checked, he's doomed to be the last descendant of one of the greatest heroes in the world's history. 
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Boomer

• Bay Watcher
  • EXPLOSIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 08:16:49 pm »

Quote from: Erk
Methinks the "good/evil" distinction needs to be reinstated, making Good races more willing to forgive each other and Evil races more eager to go to war with the Good.

I believe Evil should be more eager to to war with anyone, no matter what "alliance" they have. After all, evil turns in upon itself. Evil is like a snake that eats its own tail.

But at the same time, if the evil race wanted too be extremely powerful, they would band together. I think, when toady gets around to defining how evil a evil race is, there should be a possibility that the evil races band together (Not kobold with goblins.. but like 2 goblin civilizations). Same with the good races..

On another note, the elves rock now! Too bad they have massive casualties when they actually win. You would think that they would use silver for weapons (elves are usually depicted with that), or at least iron..

I agree. Evil uniting against the common enemy, good attempting to unite whether or not another enemy makes itself available. This would be best achieved by evil simply being more likely to start wars with good than with evil, and not needing to go all the way to unite the evils together.

Just, hey, who are we going to fight? The guys who agree with our values, including starting frivolous wars, or the guys who won't sell us food just because we kill them for their food... ?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:01:28 pm by Boomer »
"Damn, I just noticed that this was post Nr 1500, and I had nothing memorable to say...I will go and play with the carp now."

~Akroma

sidew

• Bay Watcher
  • Mighty Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 08:25:36 pm »

"I am Urist Threepwood, mighty engraver!"

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 08:48:44 pm »

I had a pocket world where the humans attacked the elves because the elves were eating the bodies of sentient beings ("The Conflict of Bites" and "The Teeth-War of Scarring," even).  20 years later, the elves declare war on the humans because of their display of war trophies.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 08:51:50 pm »

Ah, yes, the new chronicles... I'd want to write a story for every single war, but I'll just give you what I've read so far...

From year one, the Elves ended up on the wrong side of a Titan clan, which promptly slaughtered them to the point where most wars involving Elves have only a few Elves fighting a few dozen enemies. They were then terrorized by Smunstu Necroplagues, because fire demons hate water worshippers.

Tagakurin the Kobold tore a bronze colossus to bits. He sprained his finger.

Tol Ponderedpage the Elder of Strategy (who seems to be some kind of Titan figurehead, judging by the name) went after a human camp after picking his teeth with Elf bones. Thus started the career of Tode Bronzedreamed, who slaughtered anything that even came near a human settlement for 20 years. After suffering a few spear wounds bringing down the demon that had nearly finished off the elves inside the Heart of Eternity, he's dissapeared off the radar.

Also, an Elven hero had to take on two leaders in duels. one tore her mouth, the other one killed her.

(And 'The Malice of Clapping', the evil that never wins a fight.)

((...And they're apparently a group of evil dwarves.))
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:58:25 pm by Haven »

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 08:55:34 pm »

Quote from: Haven
Tagakurin the Kobold tore a bronze colossus to bits. He sprained his finger.

Nicely told. XD
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 09:22:30 pm »

Oh crap. I've got an elf civil war on my hands.

Well, not a real civil war. It's technically goblin vs elf, but at the start of the war, there's only about three golbins left out of 185 members of the faction. They snuff it early on, making it elf-on-elf combat for around two pages of bloody battles. The first battle, 400 elves vs 180 mostly elves ends with 70 dead on one side and 80 dead on the other. The 80 surviving mostly elves take refuge at their dark tower, win, deploy in a field battle, and get trashed again, leaving 36. They defend at a siege, win, then try to deploy in the field again, resulting in another division, but they keep at it until they fall back with only 8 mostly elves remaining. The attackers fare little better, losing about 50 elves every fight, and lose around 500 in the war overall. But finally, the defenders go in the field again, and lose all but one elf. The final battle is just a wimper, as the last elf is caught and killed at a river while out wandering around, and the goblin tower is razed without a fight. Of the three survivors on the defending side, two escaped, and one was hacked to bits and presumably served at the victory feast.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 12:07:30 am »

I agree. Evil uniting against the common enemy, good attempting to unite whether or not another enemy makes itself available. This would be best achieved by evil simply being more likely to start wars with good than with evil, and not needing to go all the way to unite the evils together.

Just, hey, who are we going to fight? The guys who agree with our values, including starting frivolous wars, or the guys who won't sell us food just because we kill them for their food... ?

Yeah, there needs to be something that makes things like not eating the corpses of your fallen foes [UNTHINKABLE], that would probably work.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008, 01:34:52 am »

Kind of off topic, but it sort of involves battle.  I guess.
Going through the legends, I found a badass swordswoman who spent most of her life as a fishery worker before killing 28 enemies (including 6 goblins with titles), and was the sole survivor of the last battle in the war with the goblins.  I saw that one of her daughters was dead, and it turned out the daughter had been kidnapped by goblins and raised into a soldier, who attacked her home civ and was killed by her mother.  I then checked on the sole remaining daughter, and it turned out she too had been kidnapped.  But I saw she still counted as a "prisoner," so I immediately rolled a stealthy crossbowman to sneak in and rescue the tragic girl.  He was torn apart by wolves 10 seconds after I started, so I rolled a swordsman and tried again.
Well, it turns out that it's not so much a goblin tower as a human tower, with maybe one goblin somewhere, as people kept referencing him when I asked about the capital. 
Yes, I was talking with the inhabitants.  Anticlimactically, we were no longer at war.  So I just wandered around gathering up the prisoners with no interference.  I took them to the capital of the human civ, and retired.
You don't even get anything in your legends entry for rescuing children.  The children get mentions in their entries, claiming they "escaped."  The guy who got torn apart by wolves has a more interesting legend entry than the saviour of several children.
Ain't no justice.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008, 04:37:09 am »

I came across something kind of eerie reading through the legends, apparently a demon by the name of Lozu razed a forest retreat by the name of Booktalons; the defense was led by a female elf called Nithe Waximage, but unfortunately her defense crumpled. It turned out most of her family lived in Booktalons, and Lozu apparently had them all mutilated and chopped up separate to the rest of the population.

Nithe and all her brothers and sisters that were alive were mutilated with her.

Her husband was hung from a tree.

Both her children escaped though, but the son is the only one still alive.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2008, 05:05:52 am »

As for now, I see one problem: if one entity attacks, it seems to never ever lose their initiative. In every battle it is treated as attacker and its enemy never launches counterattack. It's most obvious when elves attack humans... They eventually win and burn down the same human city over and over, which their foes doesn't seem to mind or try to stop in a meaningful way (for example - attacking an elven city). And it seems that past atrocities are not a good enough reason to wage a war against a civilization...

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 05:41:16 am »

As for now, I see one problem: if one entity attacks, it seems to never ever lose their initiative. In every battle it is treated as attacker and its enemy never launches counterattack. It's most obvious when elves attack humans... They eventually win and burn down the same human city over and over, which their foes doesn't seem to mind or try to stop in a meaningful way (for example - attacking an elven city). And it seems that past atrocities are not a good enough reason to wage a war against a civilization...

Huh, I haven't had something like that. Actually, the war between elves and humans in my world turned into a back and forth kinda thing. Then, for no apparent reason, the one human civilization that had never entered a war and had been quitely building its cities suddenly struck. Only one elven civ remains, and 3 dwarfs civs are currently trying to hold on to whats left. The "sleeping giant" human civ now holds about half the map.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008, 06:12:55 am »

You guys talking about 'good' and 'evil' races are kind of misunderstanding here.

From the point of view of the Elves, humans ARE evil.

Evil is not objective, no matter what we may think. Evil is just 'someone who has a morality that I don't like',  and the elves definitely don't like people cutting down trees and killing animals.

Just splitting the game into 'good' and 'evil' races would be a massive oversimplification
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4