Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: To Battle!  (Read 4228 times)

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
Re: To Battle!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 04:50:08 pm »

Talk about a rout. Who the hell was the defender? Leonidas?

Another battle was 170 vs 17, this time the elves lost 63 and the defenders lost none.

I'm guessing that wooden armor really isn't designed for maximum survivability.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:52:39 pm by Tiler »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 04:54:54 pm »

I win.
Shoes...

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 04:57:50 pm »

Yeah, I'm seriously betting it has to do with the fact that elves wield wood.

I'm trying to mod in a race, and they keep trying to fight with wooden objects, and they die in similar droves in war.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 05:08:49 pm »

I win.

That is so epic. I can only imagine humans huddled against the walls of their homes cutting open the elves who are trying to club them to death with their weak wooden weapons. Also, the name fits well.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 05:12:42 pm »

This...  Is...  EVERCLASPS!!!!
Shoes...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 05:13:16 pm »

Elves are the new zerg/berserking race. Screw goblins.

"Elves view humans who use animal products and cut trees (OH NOES) as evil, and declare war on them. 541 Elves attacked 25 Humans who led a desperate defense at WhitenessSeizures. Now, even though the elves are immortal and live until struck down, their wooden armor/weapons suck so a well trained force of human guards massacred them until overwhelmed by sheer numbers of Elves. When the elves slay the humans, they view leaving the corpses to rot as a waste so the elves devour them.

The humans react as you and I do, and are mortified and continue fighting the elves. This cycle of war continues until one side is destroyed, subdued, or enslaved."

Elves declare war on everyone now. ELVES, NOT YOUR TOLKIENESQE HIGH&MIGHTY RACE ANYMORE. I hope this is canon.

Boomer

• Bay Watcher
  • EXPLOSIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 05:17:30 pm »

Or, if they ever pick up a metal weapon, they are very Tolkien-esque. Nightfall in Middle-Earth. Insanity Reigns... they are a damned kind.
"Damn, I just noticed that this was post Nr 1500, and I had nothing memorable to say...I will go and play with the carp now."

~Akroma

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 05:29:09 pm »

I like how they have a darker side. Now they are pretty cool.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 05:32:26 pm »

It may not be the use of weaponry that changes things at all, actually.

I finally managed to get the new race I'm sticking in into the game using iron weaponry. Thanks to the fact I made them both rather agressive and not a fan of abusing the dead, and had them occupy grasslands which humans liked too, they started up a 200 year crusade against the humans, always on the offensive, and always losing swaths of people every battle.

The humans never struck back, which is odd. But I havn't seen a battle where they lost, either.

Edit: Ooooh, just ran into a battle where my new race (Aivons, AKA Birdfolk, if you're wondering) got into a war with the elves over cannibalism, and proceeded to assault 34 elves with a force of 88. All the elves were killed. First time I've seen that... the battle was called the "Onlaught of the Conquerors". Nice ring to it. The Aivon commander snuffed it, though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:47:05 pm by Tiler »

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 06:57:46 pm »

Humans versus elves are now like the Swiss versus the Burgundians in the Burgundy Wars.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 06:58:12 pm »

I'm thinking battle losses are actually a semirandom percent, since simulating the battle through likely victory by relative forces would be a hell of a calculation. It could be simplified though I suppose.

Aside from the over-aggressiveness making the elves at war with everyone all the time, I am loving this. Methinks the "good/evil" distinction needs to be reinstated, making Good races more willing to forgive each other and Evil races more eager to go to war with the Good.

I'd love to see elves Zerging a dark tower and devouring the goblins. Human devouring lacks quite the same flavour.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 07:09:09 pm »

Judging from the war records involving elves, I'd have to say if you're on the opposing side and you end up losing you're better off killing yourself. Seems like the elves are the most cruel when it comes to executions: devouring, hacking to bits, burying people alive, feeding to beasts. Maybe it's just because they are usually at war with everyone so you see them doing it more but it's still interesting to see them being so vicious when the community makes fun of them for being sissies.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 07:13:43 pm »

I've never made fun of them. I always knew they were ready to snap at any moment. Elves, buddies, please! Remember the good times we had? Me not drowning you or hunting or fishing? You selling me your safe wood? Me selling you my spare metal goods, all plant-safe? My spare... metal... weapons?

Oh, crap. Lock the doors, urist!
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 07:29:36 pm »

Uh, wow. I'm just reading a war between Elves and Dwarves, and the elves are literally sending 1000 elves in, killing 300 people, and then eating the survivors.

Eventually, the entire dwarven race is ate to death.

It's a lot less funny when those treehuggers win. D:

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 07:38:03 pm »

Quote from: Erk
Methinks the "good/evil" distinction needs to be reinstated, making Good races more willing to forgive each other and Evil races more eager to go to war with the Good.

I believe Evil should be more eager to to war with anyone, no matter what "alliance" they have. After all, evil turns in upon itself. Evil is like a snake that eats its own tail.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4