Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Next challenge to put in the que!  (Read 6022 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Next challenge to put in the que!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 06:45:15 pm »

Not to be nitpicky, but the word is queue.
Que means "What" in Spanish.

Uhh, how about collapsing a human keep?  Preferably when all the humies are inside.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 07:38:49 pm »

Not to be nitpicky, but the word is queue.
Que means "What" in Spanish.

Uhh, how about collapsing a human keep?  Preferably when all the humies are inside.

Done that. I learned a valuable lesson about cave-ins too: Those underneath are killed instantly. Those on top are almost never killed.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 08:02:57 pm »

Actually, they will die too if one of two conditions is met.

1)The drop alone would be enough to kill them.
2)There is a ceiling above them that will be coming down too.

Preferably both though.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 08:23:30 pm »

Fill the world with terrifying fiery lava lakes and huge underground magmafalls.

Hey, there's an idea...  Take a terrifying location, empty out all the ponds (maps with aquifers tend to have a lot of ponds), then fill them up with magma.

Alternatively, find a place with HFS, and scoop out the rock above the pit tiles until they have a straight shot to the surface.  Then build a shrine on the spot.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 08:24:46 pm »

HFS? Huge fucking spiders? heh?
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 08:47:18 pm »

Preferably both though.

One tile drops are hardly enough to kill. Five tile drops; maybe. If they're unlucky. If they have a ceiling over them, then its hardly THE TOP, is it?

Therefore, the only way to really kill EVERYONE us to build a giant ceiling over the map and connect that to the lever as well, so that the sky falls just as the ground does.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 09:56:15 pm »

You could just create the giant ceiling, and then hollow out the ground underneath.  The cave-in will crash through into the cavern below, so you don't have to go through the whole dig-a-channel-around-everything cave-in prep.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 10:26:50 pm »

Preferably both though.

One tile drops are hardly enough to kill. Five tile drops; maybe. If they're unlucky. If they have a ceiling over them, then its hardly THE TOP, is it?

Therefore, the only way to really kill EVERYONE us to build a giant ceiling over the map and connect that to the lever as well, so that the sky falls just as the ground does.

No no no, not one tile drops. You INTENTIONALLY do overkill on the Z-levels, and by on top I thought you simply meant above ground.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 10:51:39 pm »

Build magma sprinklers across the entire map, by building a grid of channels around 10z levels up. At each channel intersection, build a bauxite floor hatch and connect it to a huge control room. Then, pump the grid full of magma, and try to destroy any incoming goblin sieges, elven caravans, and megabeasts purely by the fire from the sky.

Incidentally, if you want to have any way of identifying the levers, I'd suggest 3 or 4 coloured wall tiles adjacent to each intesection, in a particular pattern.

Of course, bonus points if you have no identifying systems yet manage to kill the gobbos anyway.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 12:17:54 am »

A lot of people have dane amazing digging feats, underwater fortresses and the like. However, i don't think ANYONE has attempted this, or at least suceeded...

I challenge you to carve a mountain from a mountain and have it hollow so that your dwarves can live inside!

No constructions should be used, its all to be hand carved out of solid rock! Have ingenious devices for defence that are inbuild into the dwarf made mountain! Paths that come out onto the surface of the mountain and then back in! If you can, have a giant magma pool in the middle of the mountain for smelting purposes, or even better, build the mountain over a magma tube and have the top of it open to the skies! Perhaps You could even built defences pointing inward to quell uprisings or to destroy flying opponents!

Think of the possibilities!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 12:20:50 am »

A lot of people have dane amazing digging feats, underwater fortresses and the like. However, i don't think ANYONE has attempted this, or at least suceeded...

I challenge you to carve a mountain from a mountain and have it hollow so that your dwarves can live inside!

No constructions should be used, its all to be hand carved out of solid rock! Have ingenious devices for defence that are inbuild into the dwarf made mountain! Paths that come out onto the surface of the mountain and then back in! If you can, have a giant magma pool in the middle of the mountain for smelting purposes, or even better, build the mountain over a magma tube and have the top of it open to the skies! Perhaps You could even built defences pointing inward to quell uprisings or to destroy flying opponents!

Think of the possibilities!

Hold on, build a mountain with no constructions, could you clarify here?

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 12:47:57 am »

Well, what you really should do is hollow out a mountain completely, with no floors, then construct from the very bottom level up a spiraling tower with branching rooms, sort of like a tree of stone, or a reverse ant tunnel. Then, have smaller towers of a similar sort spring up around it.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 01:09:33 am »

I've got an old thread around here somewhere called "The Underworld Challenge".  Dig that one up if you want something truly insane.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 01:51:01 am »

What Toady should implement (only for my personal pleasure ofc, hehe, egoism is fun) is a mechanical way to move floors and rooms (basically lifts wich can move in each vertical and horizontal direction). If something like that would be possible i would make myself the Cube (classic low cost movie). I imagine pathfinding to then implode the universe though.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 02:11:37 am »

Well here's a diversion at least: Set up a base with walls made only of retracted bridges.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5