Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Next challenge to put in the que!  (Read 6027 times)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Next challenge to put in the que!
« on: July 05, 2008, 08:22:09 pm »

So, I've been taking on too many projects at once. First it was the floating fortress, worked out fine. Took three in game years, then I pulled a lever killing them all. Then, I tried to make a goblin apocalypse in a human town by getting goblins to siege me while I was holed up underneath their town, that quickly died down when the aquifier refused to be breached so I've suspended this project. Now I'm working to make a fort in the ocean, I've heard people talk about doing it but never actually finishing this one so I'm attempting it now. I also have planned a sunset mosaic in an earlier fort thats still running.

So, does anyone have requests for other projects to put into the que? They WILL take awhile to pull off, but I'll eventually be finishing all of them.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Next challenge to put in the que!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 08:30:55 pm »

Golden Gate Bridge OR Hoover Dam.

These might be easier, depending on how OCD you feel.

Golden Gate Bridge: Build a bridge connecting an offshore island with the mainland. (Major bonus points if it is in fact made of gold)
Hoover Damn: Find a river source with cliffs nearby. Dam up the area, generate some power. Bonus points for flooding your fortress at the end.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 08:32:08 pm »

How about a self-sufficient tower built on top of an enlarged magma pipe, with a single narrow bridge serving as access, supported only by thin floor tiles reaching to the borders of the pit? Should be quite a challenge, both building the fort and then managing the population so trade will keep them all well-fed.

Plus you can destroy the whole fort easily if you get bored.  ;D
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:34:35 pm »

The only problem is how map dependent those seem to be
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 08:45:41 pm »

Heres a idea you may like since you are attempting a underwater fort style.

Find a flat forested place, with water and magma is you choose.
Go below and hollow out the underground into a dome kinda of carvern.
 Build towers inside it.
The towers should go from -15z to like -3z and you should flood the lower levels so its like a city ontop of a very large underground lake. For bonus points you can have the water just fall in from the roof of the cavern. or even fall onto the towers and make giant waterfall city style. More bonus points. Make it so you can flood the city and have the towers seal up for coolness.
 I tried it but all the stone it made pissed me off casue I have a OCD with stone being in the water.

VeryBadThingsDownHere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:46:05 pm »

Make a 3-frame animated image out of multicolor gem windows.

It has to be of a dwarf injuring a cat, or the mining dwarf in the opening video.
Why don't you kids finish that barrel before opening a new one!?

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 10:51:11 pm »

I'm wishing now that I didn't say "...I'll eventually be finishing all of them." :p

On the bright side, I found out what I'll be doing this summer.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 10:54:43 pm »

Create a vast floor over the upper z-levels of the sky. Create a system on the underside of the sky seal that makes small cave-ins over any part of the map you want. Mod in creatures that come in large herds. Use your "Orbital Death Rays" to take them down.

Bonus points for creating many rooms underneath the ground so the collapsing will cause large holes to be made in the ground.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 11:05:39 am »

Build a gigantic stone tree and have your dwarves live inside/around it.  Bonus points for making leaves and branches out of appropriately colored materials.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 11:37:23 am »

Easy one for you: Sink a whole goblin tower into the ground. If anyone is alive afterwards, you did it wrong.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 12:55:07 pm »

Litter a jungle with pit traps.  If you manage to capture an appropriately large beastie, tame it and try to find a mate for it.  Then stick the offspring inside some of the pit traps so that they can munch on any unfortunates that fall in.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 01:34:46 pm »

Easy one for you: Sink a whole goblin tower into the ground. If anyone is alive afterwards, you did it wrong.

Tried something like that, my dwarves refuse to go anywhere or do anything in a goblin tower. Even as military dwarves they just stand there staring at me with that "No fucking way" look.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 03:32:29 pm »

Goto a map with a major river. Then build a wall around the whole map. The wall must be tall. 15z (Max). Build up a lot of pumps. At least 20 per side of the river. Hide out either underground, or (Bonus points) in a massive center tower. This should stop anything from living, outside of your fort.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 06:05:08 pm »

Fill the world with terrifying fiery lava lakes and huge underground magmafalls. Fill the world with warm water, waterfalls and joyous steam and mist. Fill the world with inspiring engraved ice, fill the world with precious obsidian for trade, encase most of it in glass.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 06:17:16 pm »

Stop the dwarves from complaining about the rain by building a massive ceiling!!! It must cover the whole map. The higher up, the better!!
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5