Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Next challenge to put in the que!  (Read 6002 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Next challenge to put in the que!
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2008, 07:01:57 am »

Another challenge:

mod dwarves to be aquatic and create an underwater utopia.

I'm told you can't build underwater, so you'll need lots of pumps to build stuff in drydocks before reflooding them.
I recommend a sweetwater lake to prevent being washed away and have drinkingwater at the same time.
Carp infestation optimal.

Fix'd

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2008, 07:12:42 am »

fixed? how?

Oh I just realised: the dwarves should be amphibian in order to build the stuff in the air.
I wonder if they still think water is dangerous terrain when modded.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008, 11:05:20 am »

I've tried that aquatic thing, in fact I'm going it for my Dwarflantis fort. They still consider water dangerous terrain. Retarded little buggers, aren't they?

Also, anyway that I can keep linked to this page somewhere? I don't want to lose the thread until I've done all this stuff.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2008, 01:26:45 pm »

Bookmark/Favorites?
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 01:35:25 pm »

I guess, but any way on site I could? My bookmarks are loaded =/
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 06:31:25 pm »

you could use the NOTIFY button right next to the 'reply' one...it'll send you an email you can keep each time there is an unread reply...if the forum is working correctly that is, haven't tried it yet.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 08:44:28 pm »

I guess, I'll just bookmark it. Bay12 already floods my inbox :P

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 05:35:56 am »

Ok, here's one for you; possibly to combine with other ideas, or possibly to do alone:

This is much like a challenge game, where there are no defense gizmoes- however, these forts tend to fall over fast. My idea is different; build walls, moats, and traps, but include switches that activate a way to defeat all of these for [mischievous] AIs to pull. Thus, your defences will only last so long- and you don't know how long! How you do this is up to you, but also consider having doors that allow access through walls so that building destroyers can help too!

Then, in adventure mode, others can try to find a way through the defenses, or perhaps try to bring them back on-line.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2008, 08:30:08 am »

Here's the automated fortress challenge.

You must design the so said prefect fortress which will be able to survive seiges, ambushes and anything thrown at it plus have a running economy with rent active and food and aclohol production but here's the twist, It must be able to operate without any player input for a full year (or season whichever you see fit). Now it may seem simple to just set up a crap load of traps to deal with hostiles but keep in mind your dwarves won't get told to stay inside or whatever plus if for example you run out of barrels at some stage or of crops and your still getsit's brew drink R order cancelled well it's over for aclohol :P

Now the countdown can start whenever you see fit may it be once you have a huge castle which kills anything within 5 miles of it and a a stockpile of food to last a century and your hammere is trapped where he canno't hurt the people or on your 2nd year.

If you do anything besides screenshots and movies and looking around during the automated year all bets are off. You must sit and watch as your hammere goes insane with unmet mandates and your fortress burns!!!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2008, 01:31:45 pm »

How about a ginormous tower city? You can have some cellars and tunnels as basic starting points but your final constructions should all be housed in huge soaring towers of all shapes and sizes. A central, max height one can house all the nobles; little dinky ones can be the commoners' abode. Have sky bridges connecting all the towers in a large network, and have your treasure hoard in the very top of the highest, most inaccessible tower, so that an adventurer coming for it needs to hack his way through most of the rest of the city before reaching it.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2008, 06:03:16 pm »

Hehe, thanks for the necro guys :P No, I really do appreciate it :)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 02:30:25 pm »

I'm suprised none likes the "fill the world with ice" idea, no takers at all?

I like the idea. A giant ice cube. Build a floor on a top level that can open/close, pump water over a level, open the skylight, freeze. Repeat on each level.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2008, 05:40:25 pm »

Thats impossible from my understanding, as anything without a natural level of rock above it is counted as being aboveground and thus freezes all water. I might be able to make it work with slight modifications to my water tower though...

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2008, 08:28:53 pm »

Buckets work.  ;)

edit: Ooh, and then mod your dwarves to be as hot as fire imps. Ultimate offense and defense
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:36:04 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2008, 09:17:02 am »

Buckets work.  ;)

edit: Ooh, and then mod your dwarves to be as hot as fire imps. Ultimate offense and defense

This got me thinking (tangentially...) is it possible to add a smelter reaction to turn ice into water?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5