Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 602640 times)

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #1410 on: March 02, 2008, 03:53:00 am »

^_^ Yay! [Generic Praise] Too late to make anything original...
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: March 02, 2008, 04:13:00 am »

Events of the 20th of Sandstone
"So you're done?" asked Ironblood, finally getting to the workshops that cluttered the tomb level.
"I'm done." said Libash in a relief. She'd been working for several days on one of those now common projects.

"A malachite table, if I'm not mistaken." noted Ironblood, running his hand over it.
"I put an image of a dwarf striking down a goblin in the center!"
"Yes, Libash, I see that. Also the image of dwarves... just being generically dwarven."
"Yes, sir! And the image of a mule... for some reason. It's in silver though!"
"Well, Libash, I value it at around 50400 crowns. Quite respectable. What have you named it?"
"Libash Swordbodice, sir!"
"Yes, but that's your name, Libash. What did you name the table?"
"I named it Libash Swordbodice..."
"Libash... Libash that's your name."
"Yes sir."
"You don't think that's a little... uh... egotistical?" asked Ironblood, tactfully.
"No sir!" replied Libash, cheerily.
"So you have no problem with somebody, say... BurnedToast for instance, pulling up a chair to Libash Swordbodice, and proceeding to 'have dinner', as the youngun's call it these days?" queried Ironblood, with less tact.
"Uh... should I?" asked Libash, doubtfully.
"Apparently not, Libash. Please see it goes some place nice. Possibly not the drinking hall. Wouldn't do for drunk dwarves to end up laying passed out on Libash Swordbodice."
"Er... thank you sir."

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: March 02, 2008, 06:38:00 am »

Events on the 16th of Moonstone.
"Goblins?!" shouted Ironblood, standing high atop the Hammer Tower and gazing beyond the walls.
"All I see are small fry! Back when I was younger we had real goblins! There sure are a lot of them, though."
"Yes sir." replied Scorpios.
"Get my axe, lad." demanded Ironblood, pointing at the soldier with his axe.
"Er... you're holding it, sir!"
"Just testing!" stated Ironblood.
He wandered down to the coutyard, and shouted "To arms, lads, to arms! We may have some trouble with the bowmen to the southeast. Wear your best armor!"

Id's group of mercenaries were the first to engage the enemy. Two squads of goblins, one of bowmen, the other of hammergoblins.
Arrows rained upon the champions as they rushed towards the greenskinned menace, clattering harmlessly off their armor when it even hit.

The Colonel was the first to be struck in a chink in his armor. The arrow buried itself deep in his lower abdomen, and tore at his insides as he ran.
"ARGH!" he screamed, "I won't let that stop me!"
He tore the arrow out with his free hand as he ran, tossing it to the side as he ran to drive his spear straight through the nearest goblin bowman.

He ran past Ex-Mane, screaming "FOR NIST AKATH!" as Ex-Mane took an arrow to the chest.
"Ex-Mane!" he screamed, running to the fallen dwarf's side.
"Colonel..." wheezed Ex-Mane, bubbling up blood. It was clearly bad.
"We'll get you the best care!" said the Colonel.
There was no response from Ex-Mane, however.
"EX-MANE... EX-MANE!" screamed the Colonel. Enraged he turned to the goblins battling his comrades.
"FOR EX-MANE!" he screamed, lunging into battle once more.

Bean was battling furiously. He had slain numerous goblins already, and has not fallen to the arrows yet. The Colonel seemed a little the worse for wear, fighting imaginary goblins around Ex-Mane's corpse.
A moments distraction is all it takes however, and Bean paid the price. An arrow struck him through the throat, tearing apart his jugular.
He stumbled to the ground, his vision dark, feeling the life slowly bleed from his body as the others crushed the goblin threat in his vicinity.

Finally, all the goblins were dead, and the Colonel was staggering back to the barracks. Id looked about the carnage, and spotted her two soldiers, dead on the field.
"Damn." she said simply, feeling the tears running down her cheeks. "And the job's not done yet."

Across the other side of the fortress, Viktoria, Darktongue and Kast were engaging two goblin pikeman squads by themselves.
Darktongue utterly destroyed the first one who got too near.
"Careful, pikes have reach." said Viktoria, moving to his side.
A stray bolt struck Darktongue in the hand, ruining it for holding his weapon.
"GODS!" he shouted.
"Get back, then. We can't use a wounded dwarf!" ordered Viktoria.
"Hell on that!" said Darktongue, "I'm going to stuff this arrow up his nethers!"

And so he did. They waded deep into goblin bodies, turning them from living to dead, with such ease that the goblins broke and ran.
The three soldiers stood victorious, watching them run away as they put down the goblins still breathing.
"Now... where's my mace in all this..." pondered Darktongue.

At the same time, Id's squad was finishing off the last of the goblins.
"Well, at least this squad was easier. Why are these goblins doing this? They make no headway... it makes no sense. All I have are questions, and no answers."

Captain Ironblood was waiting for their return. "You lost a couple I can see..." he said.
"You weren't out there, sir?" asked Id.
"No, my armor was conveniently misplaced. I've only found half of it... all over the bloody place. No idea how that happened." grumbled Ironblood.
"I take it that my men will get a proper burial?" asked Id.
"Of course, Commander Bloodfrenzies. We would have it no other way."
"Good. Thank you sir."

Ironblood watched her leave, and was left to ponder the misplacing of his armor once more. Convenient timing, he thought. He needed some leads on who this traitor was. He couldn't keep building a wall forever...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: March 02, 2008, 06:55:00 am »

Well done.  A community fort is a very hard one to lose dwarves in, as you feel beholden to keep those dwarves claimed by forum members alive.  It's nice to see a break in the utter one-sidedness, even if it did take an entire squad of goblin bowmen to do the job.

I still say that raising an entire goblin army from the dead would be quite a siege.  Even better if you can make duplicates off a corpse (not entirely sure how DC works, I'm afraid.  Never tried it myself).

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: March 02, 2008, 07:01:00 am »

Well, there's only a few dwarves I can't really lose due to story purposes.

Apart from that, I have about 1000 goblin corpses now, no need to make dupes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 02, 2008, 07:06:00 am »

You sure about that, mate?  Looks to me like they need as much help as they can get.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: March 02, 2008, 07:53:00 am »

Captain's Log. 14th of Opal.
A Hydra arrived today. Nobody even really noticed it, until we discovered its body in one of the traps to the west, a number of its throats had been torn out, which appears not to agree with Hydras.

I went for a bit of a walk outside the walls, by myself, just to make sure there weren't any more hanging around.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: March 02, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

Only Nist Akath could possibly be attacked by multiple hydras :3

I wonder, do you think a combined goblin siege + megabeast + skeletal elk herd manage to down a number of soldiers in the double digits?

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: March 02, 2008, 08:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>

I have one available, but there's no use for a clothier in the fortress. She's a planter/mason, if it suits? Very friendly, avoids crowds, not a risk taker, or a big thinker, but a trusting soul.</STRONG>

Yeah, that works

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: March 02, 2008, 08:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Boksi:
<STRONG>Only Nist Akath could possibly be attacked by multiple hydras :3

I wonder, do you think a combined goblin siege + megabeast + skeletal elk herd manage to down a number of soldiers in the double digits?</STRONG>

The goblins would have no chance if they didn't have bows. Thus far, only that has proven dangerous to them. Apart from that, megabeasts, skelk, and such are of no danger at all.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: March 02, 2008, 08:50:00 am »

Might I suggest a mass wrestling run for your champions?  Get them to attack something without their weapons.  Make 'em drop the shields as well, if you're really going for a good wrasslin'.

Wouldn't work that well against bows, but perhaps the next megabeast could get punched to death?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: March 02, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

Captain's Log. 5th of Obsidian.
A rare event, but not unheard of. Today, young Meng Pagepear, a grown up daughter of Keller and Zangief, was slain by the Skelk menace.
Keller was on the scene, and witness to the event.

Unfortunately, that also meant that she had brought most of her family with her.
The Skelk descended upon her family, slaying the child Edem Pagepear.
Keller was so enraged she fought them off with her bare hands, assisting Archibess (who I really can't understand being the Hammerer, it still boggles my mind), in fighting off the menace.

There's really nothing a mayor can say, or do, in a situation like this. It really doesn't help that these children were just common dwarves, and therefore won't be interred in the same area their parents will be.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: March 02, 2008, 09:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Might I suggest a mass wrestling run for your champions?  Get them to attack something without their weapons.  Make 'em drop the shields as well, if you're really going for a good wrasslin'.

Wouldn't work that well against bows, but perhaps the next megabeast could get punched to death?</STRONG>

They all get trained in wrestling before being allowed to use weapons.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: March 02, 2008, 09:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lemnx:
<STRONG>If you're waiting for any specific game updates for the Fall of Nist-Akath maybe some back story of the main Nist Akath residents would be a great read. Infact, I request back stories!</STRONG>

Any particular dwarves you'd like stories for?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: March 02, 2008, 09:30:00 am »

I'm aware that they're trained in wrestling beforehand.  I'm suggesting that they use that in the field, instead of their normal weapons.

Weapons will do more damage than punching.  Since you're taking away the weapons (and the shields, if you dare), the playing field gets evened out a bit more.  They won't have their axes, hammers and spears to dispatch the enemy with, and will have to resort to fisticuffs and grabbing.  

The thought of having several dwarven champions defeating a titan by wrestling with it strikes me as quite fun.

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 265