Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 602643 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #1440 on: March 04, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

Captain's Log. 22nd of Hematite.
In response to Ostri's news, I summoned a small meeting amongst the founders. I invited Bomrek as well, because of her position within the fortress.
I put forward the question of whether anybody knew anything regarding the occult and something called "Soulsmith."

The response wasn't quite what I expected. with Bomrek and BurnedToast both knowing what I was talking about, and even Xotes said she knew a little.

It appears that Soulsmith is, or was, rather, a god of rebirth. He was slain by Armok, in a time before time, but, with his powers being what they are, sought to return.

His cults have, from time to time, acted to try to bring about his return, with failure at every turn. Xotes told me she had heard tell of a cult priest in the mountainhomes being slain before he could do any damage.
BurnedToast and Bomrek had heard of this as well, from migrants who arrived in that period. This sort of thing only comes up occassionally in conversation, and is not considered polite conversation.

The fact that this god was an enemy of Armok had explained the presence of his priestess, and also her untimely demise. Further questions at the meeting arose, such as "Why is a god of rebirth so homocidal?" and "How do we gather the evidence we need to find the cult?"

I suggested the nobles may be in on it. Unfortunately, nobles being what they are, we can't simply barge into their rooms and seize evidence we need. I've asked the others, however, to watch them carefully.
Unfortunately, that was the end of the meeting, with more questions raised than answered. Such is the way of meetings, I find.

In response to what I perceive as a growing supernatural threat, I have donned the armor and axe once more, and I intend to train to match even Adalore's legendary skill. When the threat emerges, my axe shall cut its head from its body. Metaphorically anyway.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: March 04, 2008, 11:40:00 pm »

Captain's Log. 13th of Limestone.
The Nobles have been acting normally. Well, normally for them, anyway. Possibly they are aware of us watching them, or maybe they have nothing to do with the cult and are just weird.

In either case, I've had most of the military deployed inwardly in order to keep an eye on them while going about their business.
I myself have been guarding the external fort with Bomrek.

Imagine my surprise when goblins showed up with an army. Quite staggering timing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: March 04, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »

Listen, I know it's not exactly folowing along with the story...  

But would you be so kind as to upload a video of Captain Ironblood taking on a goblin siege by himself?   I really want to see some full scale carnage, and I know I'm not going to get a fort to last long enough for a champion of my own.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: March 05, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

Events of the 13th of Limestone
"Goblins!" shouted Bomrek, pointing her axe towards the advancing group.
Ironblood and Bomrek had been guarding the south gate on the outer wall, and the goblins had shown up over the nearby hillock.

"A single group." said Ironblood. "Lets go!"

He ran towards them, with Bomrek in toe, and the slaughtering of goblins was quick and brutal.
"That can't be all of them, Bomrek." he said.
"Look to the tower... a lookout is pointing to the west!"
"No time to wait for reinforcements..." said Ironblood.
"There may be too many!" replied Bomrek, hesitantly.
"Fine, you go get some help, I'll keep them busy."
"I'll be quick as I can!" she promised.
"So will I!" Ironblood replied, grinning viciously.

The parted way halfway through the courtyard, with Ironblood continuing to the western gate. A goblin was busy dying in a trap, and Ironblood assisted him. More were headed his way, and he leapt down the ramp and cut off the head of the first goblin to reach him.

The second goblin to reach him got its arm cut off and was then struck so hard with the flat of his axe that he went sailing back, slamming into the squad commander and knocking him senseless.

The formidable dwarf advanced on the group, slashing them to pieces mercilessly.
"Sir!" came a familiar voice. It was BurnedToast.
"BurnedToast?! What do you want?"
"I wanted to talk about work allocations!"
"I'm a little busy!" Ironblood shouted, decapitating yet another goblin.
"But its important for the well being of the fortress!" shouted BurnedToast.
"Fine!" said Ironblood.
"YOU HEAR THAT!" he shouted into the face of the next goblin he killed. "I NEED TO HAVE A MEETING!"
He destroyed a few more before they finally ran off.

"Sir!" said Bomrek, running down the ramp. "Adalore will be here swiftly."
"Not swift enough, Bomrek. I spy three more groups northeast of our position."
Ironblood turned to BurnedToast and said "I think you'll have to wait in line behind the goblins."
"Wouldn't that be dangerous?!" gasped BurnedToast in horror.
"It was a metaphor, BurnedToast. Go inside now please." replied Ironblood in exasperation.

"I don't think they've seen us..." said Bomrek.
"Fine. We'll ambush them for a change." said Ironblood.
"What? How?"
"I'll show you." Ironblood said, smiling wickedly.

He ran towards them, keeping low so they couldn't see him over the terrain. He quickly covered himself with snow, and Bomrek did the same next to him. They were concealed and the first group of goblins marched right past them, unawares.

"Now!" hissed Ironblood, leaping too his feet and screaming bloody fury at the goblins who whirled with surprise.
Glaring in the sudden brightness of the sun, he shouted "I BELIEVE WE HAVE A MEETING!"

In the immediate confusion regarding this battle cry, Bomrek cut a nearby goblin's leg off, and thus the battle was joined!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: March 05, 2008, 12:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Listen, I know it's not exactly folowing along with the story...  

But would you be so kind as to upload a video of Captain Ironblood taking on a goblin siege by himself?   I really want to see some full scale carnage, and I know I'm not going to get a fort to last long enough for a champion of my own.</STRONG>

Wow, good timing on that request. Even if he was teamed up with Bomrek.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: March 05, 2008, 12:18:00 am »

That really, really made my day.  Thanks mate.

I especially like the part with smacking a goblin hard enough to send him flying, and then running after the flying greenskin to finish the job.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: March 05, 2008, 12:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>That really, really made my day.  Thanks mate.

I especially like the part with smacking a goblin hard enough to send him flying, and then running after the flying greenskin to finish the job.</STRONG>

I actually had to teleport them into combat in that location in order to have such a crazy battle. I made a mistake the first time because making them teleport also forced them to collapse into unconsciousness, which took a lot of quick fixing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: March 05, 2008, 12:32:00 am »

I figured as much from their odd location and the "ambush" you were describing.  Still though, that's pretty insane.  A few seconds in, and already half the goblins are bloody smears...  Damn cool.

In the frozen wastes of Nist Akath, everything's cool.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: March 05, 2008, 12:35:00 am »

At one stage, a bowman actually shot Ironblood, penetrating his armor and sticking him in the spleen.

It was BRUISED.

Kinneus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: March 05, 2008, 12:57:00 am »

Hahahaha... 18 seconds... hahahaha
"A child pulled me aside today. He asked me why it was so white outside.
I told him that everything was covered in snow.
He asked me what was below the snow.
I told him that bones were below the snow."
-Captain Mayday

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: March 05, 2008, 01:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>At one stage, a bowman actually shot Ironblood, penetrating his armor and sticking him in the spleen.

It was BRUISED.</STRONG>

Captain Ironblood apparently has literal iron blood*.  That is so metal.  He is truly an inspiration to us all.

*That is to say more iron than normal blood.  Normal levels of iron won't stop arrows.  There must be something in the crumpets.

[ March 05, 2008: Message edited by: JoRo ]

You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: March 05, 2008, 01:20:00 am »

Hey, go to about 6 seconds in and slow things down to a crawl.  You'll see ironblood smash a skeletal elk into a fleeing goblin, causing it to shatter.

The elk, of course.  The goblin just gets knocked down.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: March 05, 2008, 01:30:00 am »

Im still waiting for the day when flying creatures will cause damage to other creatures they hit.

The flying Bronze Colossus hits the Goblin Bowmaster!
The Goblin Bowmaster is crushed by the impact and explodes in gore!
Urgast Giggleincests, Goblin Bowmaster has been struck down!
The Bronze Colossus is no longer stunned.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: March 05, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

This is Beyond Quality!

I like the irony if the announcements of that battle being mostly abaut goblins breaking their left middle toes...

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Wronghorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: March 05, 2008, 09:40:00 am »

Freaking epic.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 265