Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 385021 times)

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1395 on: November 29, 2008, 08:04:34 am »

For some reason I remembered it being Jools who made those wishes, not Vash.  That made the last update a little confusing.  At least now I have been corrected.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: November 29, 2008, 08:17:02 am »

Oh it was definitely not me wishing for iron statues, a giant leopard, and the death of Stravitch FillWhip. Had I been granted wishes, there would (rather predictably) just be more donkeys.

And maybe something nice for Kib.

And possibly the collapse of Stravitch's temple to Lenod (without actually harming anyone).

But *definitely* more donkeys.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: November 29, 2008, 08:42:57 am »

As an aside, and countless apologies if I somehow failed to notice that which was plainly stated, but what, pray tell, is my profession?
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: November 29, 2008, 09:48:59 am »

Oh it was definitely not me wishing for iron statues, a giant leopard, and the death of Stravitch FillWhip. Had I been granted wishes, there would (rather predictably) just be more donkeys.

And how.

Maybe a nice donkey.

And possibly the collapse of Stravitch's temple to Lenod (without actually harming anyone).

Crushed by giant donkeys, perhaps.

But *definitely* more donkeys.

Possibly made of donkeys.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: November 29, 2008, 10:09:40 am »

As an aside, and countless apologies if I somehow failed to notice that which was plainly stated, but what, pray tell, is my profession?

Since you requested it a bunch of pages back, I gave you the carpenter (the first migrant to arrive!) that came to the fortress.  He's actually being put to use, because we bought out the wagon of logs the elves brought and he's set to block-making.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: November 29, 2008, 10:35:28 am »

Huzzah! I am confident he will be churning out masterpiece blocks by the dozens.  ;D
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: November 29, 2008, 11:59:12 am »

Maybe a nice donkey.

Somehow I think that Kib would be more impressed by something *she* actually liked. As in less likely to whack her (helmeted) husband over the head with a hammer and tell him to get her something else.

Speaking of which, Heavy Flak, next time you're inclined, would you mind posting Kib's skill list and thoughts & preferences screen? Cheers.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: November 29, 2008, 12:19:46 pm »

Hmm... I've always imagined you two met over a romantic candlelit donkey.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: November 29, 2008, 01:27:33 pm »

The events of the 21st of Felsite

The small group had gathered inside the tiny bunker shelter, secreted away at the north end of the fortress.  They had weekly meetings when it was safe, though quite often members of the group would find a small note slipped under their doors in the morning, a small symbol of a sword through a sun crudely drawn on it in charcoal - the designated sign saying to stay away. 

Only one of the members of the group had seen Telamon, a particularly disgrunted tanner named Stablancers, who described the enigmatic dwarf as a "short, stocky, near-silent, and wearing a welders mask for security."  All correspondences From Above came through Stablancers, along with all supplies.  This bunker was found by him, along with the supplies for their various missions.

Sgt. Pepper guarded the doorway, his huge frame compacted some in the small hallway, his axe set aside so he could grapple with any wood-be invaders where they couldn't escape.  It was dull work, but being dead did have some advantages, and the time was spent staring blankly ahead, still as stone, his mind constantly whirring.    

The door beside him opened, and Archin slipped out.  She was covered in grease and saw dust, and bits of metal shavings stuck in her beard.  Sgt. Pepper turned his head to look at her.  "Done for the night?"
"Aye.  Twelve keg-bombs assembled.  They're going to sit in that creepy room with the coffin until it's time to place them in the noble's chambers."
"What did you use for shrapnel this time?"
"Some nails stolen from Dodik's workshop, a bunch of chains from Mookie's room, and I spent the last hour breaking down iron floodgates with a chisel."
"Perfect," Sgt. Pepper rumbled, "did you use my suggestion?  I thought it was particularly good."
"No," Archin said dryly, giving him a punch on the shoulder. "Taping them to the barrel was NOT a good idea.  We set the barrels of booze in some bins, and packed the metal in the space inbetween."
"I suppose that would work too," Sgt. Pepper conceded.
"Of course it will, now come on, let's get a snack and go to bed."

For Jools:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:30:08 pm by Heavy Flak »

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: November 29, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

The events of the 21st of Felsite

The small group had gathered inside the tiny bunker shelter, secreted away at the north end of the fortress. 

Hang on... isn't that Johnny Fountainspring's old hideout?

Thanks for the info on Kib. I knew she was great, but... a Champion? Cool!

Also amusing:
  • We have some enemies called "The Spattered Evils". That's an optimistic, fear-inspiring name if I never heard one. What could be worse, "The We're Going To Get Massacred"?
  • Kib is an enemy of The Creed of Vice. Looks like I won't be taking her to Dodik's, then...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: November 29, 2008, 08:14:25 pm »

Diary of Zako:

They are planning something... The undead that is. They have been very quiet lately and Sgt. Pepper hasn't mangled anyone in weeks! The same could not be said of the Captain and I do not envy those he chooses to spar with.

Anyway, I have been training hard and I feel my hard work is paying off! Already my skills in wrestling are suitable to my choosen profession (that noone but me knows about) and my shield work is also suitable. I just need to work on weapon skills and using them in armor and I'll be ready to purge this world of the rotting monsters!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

But on a sober note, I need more information to combat them better. What they care about, if they care at all, what are their physical weaknesses, what are they vunerable to? And most important, what are they planning?

First things first, I will make public investigations into how to successfully kill something like the undead outside, and for the ones inside I will make a SPECIAL visit to a certain alchemist...

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: November 29, 2008, 09:43:34 pm »

Hey, HF, Zako and Eita never finished the conversation. I imagine that when the mental light clicks on there's going to be someone pressed against the wall.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: November 29, 2008, 09:52:41 pm »

Welp, I spent the better part of three days reading this. I must say, I'm impressed. I really want to see how the Rapture-esque building turns out.

I think I'll nab me a dwarf. Call him Korgan Bloodclocks and make him a mechanic/armorer/weaponsmith. He has this craaaazy idea that mechanics can and probably should be worked into armour to better help the dwarves (Obviously impossible without some modding, but it'd be nice if its added as fluff). He also has a prechant for making...exotic versions of otherwise standard weapons. Fluff, too.

Or, barring that, just make him an architect who seeks tutelage from Roaroaks.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 29, 2008, 11:54:26 pm »

The events of the 27th of Felsite, 1067

"Very good, Zako.  Again."
Zako notched another bolt and readied his crossbow.  There was a moment of hesitation as he aimed, and then the strings were released, twanging loudly as the bolt was loosed.  It struck the worn target, but it hit near the rim, no where near the bullseye.  From the other end of the practice area, Likot snickered, and Sparrow shot her a nasty look.  Rolland just kept his cool, saying in his normal monotone, "Ignore them, reload and fire Zako.  No one has made anything of themselves without much practice."

"Yes sir, but... I'm parched.  May I go and get a drink?"
"Hurry back," Rolland consented. 

Shoving his way through the sea of training bodies, Zako eventually pushed through the main door.  As his boots hit the first step, he heard someone behind him call, "Zako!  A moment!"

Turning, he saw Eita standing in the door way.  She had lost some muscle mass from her time spent in bedrest, but her arm was no longer in a cast which was positive improvement.  Taking a few steps towards him, she pointed to his chest with her good hand, saying, "We need to talk about your armor."

"What, this?"  He blinked, and looked down at his chest plate.  "No, no, don't worry.  I know, it's from some, you know, Old Major's collection.  There was a big to do about it a while back but Captain Fillwhip explained things to them, uh, as only he can... and it's mostly blown over."

When Eita just stared at him, Zako tugged at his collar.  "I mean, it went over as well as anything involving Captain Fillwhip does.  But still."
"That "Old Major" was my father.  And I want to know where he is."

"...what?"
"I've made the trek here for three years now, and was always told by the other merchant groups that Major DayCovering was here.  And I see the house sigil on the armor your wearing, which can lead one such as me to think... bad things."
"No, you're jumping to conclusions here.  See, he left.  To go fight the goblin hordes in the south, to protect this fortress from further harm."
"All I see is a Dwarf wearing my Dad's armor, with some cock-and-bull story to back it u-"

Eita went silent as a large hand clasped down over her shoulder.  Tilting her head back, she stared up at Maggarg, and just beside him, Adol.  Maggarg flashed a smile of crooked teeth, and Adol just shaked his head, pretty-boy hair hanging down tastefully over his eyes. 

"Best ya' leave our little mascot alone, dolly."
Eita bristled, but Adol cut her off, "Leave the boy alone.  We've already gone down this path.  Go get this misplaced anger out of your system, and perhaps we can talk again over a mug of spiced rum."

Grumbling, Eita pulled herself free from Maggarg's grasp and stormed into the barracks to get ready for training.  Maggarg laughed, and Adol asked, "You okay?"
"I guess," said an extremely confused Zako. 

OOC: This would have been up sooner but I forgot I was doing some demolition, and my copy of DF crawled to 0 FPS.  So twenty-some minutes later, I had enough time to go eat some cake, get a couple glasses of bourbon, and watch an episode of Always Sunny. 

Mad Larks, you're in the greatly-shortened queue.  I can have you come in with the newest batch of migrants, or you can hold off and wait until the Real Glacies shows back up to the fortress; I imagine even if he doesn't get the plans for his contraption, he could have found a clockwork genius :) 

As Maggarg and Adol slowly develop into their own characters, I almost want to make them into their own spin off, just because of how absurd the pairing is.  A big jerk convict, and his well mannered blue-blood friend, having adventures.  Every adventure would end as Stravitch (the forum poster) would say when we used to play D&D: "Well, we can never go back THERE again!*"

(*Stravitch the forum poster, and the rest of the guys I was the DM for, used to set every town they went to on fire.  It wasn't always on purpose, but it always happened.  Every game ended with them beat up, singed, and standing on a hill looking down at the ruin and saying that line.)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 30, 2008, 04:36:15 am »

Its a good thing that mirgurst isn't made from wood...
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 189