Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Sims 3 programmers play dwarf fortress  (Read 11166 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Re: Sims 3 programmers play dwarf fortress
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

I wouldn't mind a GFX fix up as long as there is no talk about realistic distances and animations. I would love a simple 3D mock up, leaving the characters as billboards with tops a 3 frame animation. That would be cool, that way you could see the miners work... or something...
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »

Honestly, I hope everything stays 2D in game.

I think it's awesome that there are utilities being made that allow you to view your fortress and surrounding area in 3D, but I don't really see much of a point in carrying that over to the actual game. What's the reason for rotating around your area and looking at things from different angles and perspectives when, for the most part, you can see everything fine from a top-down 2D view?

It'd be an awfully big time sink to implement, and wouldn't really serve any practical purpose other than to say, "Ooooh 3D!"

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

Well, it would make megaprojects much easier to plan and execute. But I agree with you - 2D is just fine. 3D would eat too many precious CPU cycles that could be given to AI or something.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

I think toad should go for the presentation arc next, cuz shit the menus could do with a few shortcuts at least, and he could use more money.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Davion:
<STRONG>Honestly, I hope everything stays 2D in game.

I think it's awesome that there are utilities being made that allow you to view your fortress and surrounding area in 3D, but I don't really see much of a point in carrying that over to the actual game. What's the reason for rotating around your area and looking at things from different angles and perspectives when, for the most part, you can see everything fine from a top-down 2D view?

It'd be an awfully big time sink to implement, and wouldn't really serve any practical purpose other than to say, "Ooooh 3D!"</STRONG>

I agree. 2d tile based top-down or isometric would be the best to have if we talk about gfx in DF.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fourth Triad:
<STRONG>I think toad should go for the presentation arc next, cuz shit the menus could do with a few shortcuts at least, and he could use more money.</STRONG>

Obivously if Toady would like to attract more people -> more donators, a better UI + graphics support is a must have. Most of the people who would like to play DF just being scared away by the bad UI + ASCII sadly. Yes its sad, because the game is wonderful already...but absolutely not player friendly.
However according to dev plans, "further" gfx support is at the end of the dev list. Maybe we will have a good UI in this year at least...lets hope so.

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: gimli ]

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

Needs to be 2.5D: simple, cheap, easier to visualize, still leaves a lot to the imagination. Isometric pseudo-3D like Fallout or Xcom would be just as good, and takes no more resources than the current system. Needs better support for custom tile sets and object sets.

Dear god, the UI is from hell. After the army-arc the UI really needs to be fixed. The number of active players could be 2X. Reminds me of the problem with the Spring project (Total Annihilation based open source engine, good mod-ability), it just isn't newbie friendly at all. They draw in a lot of new players, but so few stay because no one can figure out how to do everything on their own.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »

The game needs a fuckin' tutorial too.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

strong feelings there...
This is not the most friendly forum I have ever been too, there are some posters with long toes and sharp teeth, but relatively friendly nonetheless.

While I agree the UI is sometimes a chore, it's still in flux.
Positive thing about a game in dev-stage is: If you mention and discuss flaws, Toady will notice and may move it up in priority if critical enough.

GUI.
I don't really mind simple grafics, if it is neccesary in order to have complex simulation of life. Also it enables better "suspension of disbelief" and alows imagination.
I do like to know what a thing is at a glance regardless.  ;)

Adulation:
Finally I must say I admire the way this game is being created from content to skinning as opposed to most developments that start from 'flashy' grafix only to die as vapourware or end up a shallow...can't find a good term...like sequels and spinoffs, without any original fibre.

The concept of randomization of world histories is a great one.

~Areyar
"Please, oh dear ToadyPrime! Hear my prayers and heed my humble suggestions and kindly refrain from collapsing the Skydome down on our heads. We thank thee for our continued evolution and ample supplies of *Beer*."

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2009, 02:20:17 am »

Well, looks like this game will be out in a month or less, not that I really care about it.  But just imagine... if the folks at EA or Maxis or whatever were to donate just a tiny fraction (.01%) of the fifty bizillion dollars they are going to earn off of this overblown dressup doll game to Mr. Adams for all the fine inspiration they have received from DF... 

Sigh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2009, 08:18:30 am »

Alright I may have no read every post in this topic... however...

Maxis isn't making The Sims 3

Heck Will Wright was only a consultant.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2009, 08:47:00 am »

I don't see how this is news. Everyone plays Dwarf Fortress. They're just ashamed to admit it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2009, 08:48:11 am »

Huh?  Has EA finally put Maxis out of it's misery along with Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog, etc?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2009, 08:49:56 am »

Well, looks like this game will be out in a month or less, not that I really care about it.  But just imagine... if the folks at EA or Maxis or whatever were to donate just a tiny fraction (.01%) of the fifty bizillion dollars they are going to earn off of this overblown dressup doll game to Mr. Adams for all the fine inspiration they have received from DF... 

Sigh.

Up to the individual programmers. If I were earning that much, I'd certainly donate some to toady.
(Since my excuse for not donating is having no money.)
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:54 am »

Huh?  Has EA finally put Maxis out of it's misery along with Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog, etc?

No, Maxis simply didn't want to be bogged down by all their old series anymore so they gave EA The Sims (and Simcity before that). EA is also making SimAnimals which also isn't Maxis.

Afterall they used to NEVER make sequels even to some very nice games. (Though I am probably the only one here who would think a sequel to SimSafari would be great! though Zoo Tycoon plays close enough to that I guess)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9