Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Sims 3 programmers play dwarf fortress  (Read 11153 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Sims 3 programmers play dwarf fortress
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2009, 09:18:22 am »

Also note that they mentioned playing Dwarf Fortress in March 2008.  The game still isn't done.  Connection?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2009, 09:27:19 am »

Given that it's only a couple of weeks away from release, I'm not sure if it's a connection. At any rate, I am looking forward to picking a copy up. :]
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2009, 09:44:38 am »

It leaked online two days back. So far it's interesting enough as an evolution up from The Sims 2, although I feel it's two steps forward and one back. The entire town is accessible without loading screens and the player has further control over content (textures, colors, etcetera can all be customized on pretty much any item) but there's a lot missing that I was used to from the second game and expansions.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2009, 09:57:03 am »

It leaked online two days back. So far it's interesting enough as an evolution up from The Sims 2, although I feel it's two steps forward and one back. The entire town is accessible without loading screens and the player has further control over content (textures, colors, etcetera can all be customized on pretty much any item) but there's a lot missing that I was used to from the second game and expansions.

Well how are they going to come close to their previous profits for the Sims 2 + Expansions if they didn't take all those features away from you in order to sell them to you again with another ten plus expansions?  Huh?  Huh?  How? :P
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2009, 10:00:08 am »

Well how are they going to come close to their previous profits for the Sims 2 + Expansions if they didn't take all those features away from you in order to sell them to you again with another ten plus expansions?  Huh?  Huh?  How?

Well generally speaking they earn a lot from the Base game anyhow and their main audiance don't buy more then 1 or 2 expansions anyhow.

So I don't think they are in the buisness on skimping on any worthy additions to the game... Though I wouldn't be surprised if this game was secretly rushed... Afterall it was basically a game with a deadline that got extra time.

If they REALLY wanted to make money off expansions they would make Player made items much more difficult to add and contrite! Yes I can see it now.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:08:47 am by Neonivek »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2009, 02:01:11 pm »

Now that the wrath of the internet has struck them down for saying that they wouldn't put drm on it but then attempting to ship it with securom, we can now watch as modders create a superior game and release it before EA.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Optimizt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2009, 02:14:49 pm »

As much industry attention as DF is getting, I wish a company would throw a bunch of money, programmers, and artists at Tarn and Zach to expedite development.

Oh well, a man can dream.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2009, 02:21:10 pm »

As much industry attention as DF is getting, I wish a company would throw a bunch of money, programmers, and artists at Tarn and Zach to expedite development.

Oh well, a man can dream.

To which Tarn would most likely say "Thanks for the money."

Well, hopefully.  Hasn't he said before that he doesn't want to work with a bunch of other people he doesn't know because the world would descend into chaos or at least something less dramatic but still bad?

Someone please find a site that has the article saying Sims 3 won't have securom linked on the same page as the article about how it has securom. :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:27:01 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2009, 03:12:02 pm »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>uh, no you dont...<P>just hit k while playing, and d over whatever you want dumped. no need to go to the view screen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, you got me there. But still, it's very tedious to dump large amount of stones. And let's not even get into how many key presses it takes to construct an above-ground castle. Point is, there's plenty of room for improvement on the interface.<p>[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: DJ ]

Press d, b, d. It lets you order everything in an area dumped. A lot of people don't know about this, which is sad because it saves so much time.

Personally, I don't mind the UI that much now, and I prefer ASCII over graphic tile sets now that I know what everything is. But I recall I tried to learn to play the game 3 times before being successful, and what held me back was always the UI. I had no idea what the hell everything was. Combine that with a lack of a "WTF is this"(On second thought, there probably is such a thing if I look for it) guide to the different tiles and buildings, and its like the game is giving you information in a language you can't understand. I guess If I wanted to improve on the UI I would change the amount of options visible at one time. I just felt swamped when I was trying to learn the game and saw that there were hundreds of things to do, with no ideas which ones I needed.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2009, 03:32:40 pm »

The game needs a fuckin' tutorial too.

THAT is the most important thing, well, in my opinion. I forgot who made it, but there was a guy here on the forum who made that tutorial. There's a forum I visit reguarily, gamingsteve, when that tutorial was released, a lot of people started playing the game, even though the ASCII graphics scared them. This tutorial almost doubled the amount of DF players on gamingsteve.
Oh yea, and the other reason I think the tutorial is more important then graphics is because I hate the idea of this game without the ASCII graphics. I don't use any tilesets for a reason...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2009, 04:39:03 pm »

I use a tileset, and it makes the game quite graphically detailed. 8 bit glory, such as from the NES days.

/nostalgia!

;D

And despite being in alpha and made by 2 people, DF is a better game than most of the big, 4-star productions made by giant publishers. Sure, they blow $15 million on the art department, and while the big fancy games may be pretty, they tend to lack actual gameplay.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2009, 05:36:12 pm »

Someone please find a site that has the article saying Sims 3 won't have securom linked on the same page as the article about how it has securom

Nope sorry... I only have sites that say it has no DRM.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2009, 05:56:36 pm »

I can confirm it has securom by virtue of I have it. very distasteful of EA to say they would have no DRM and then pull this bullshit.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2009, 06:35:42 pm »

And I was going to buy it to show my support for not putting drm on it... :'(
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2009, 06:42:14 pm »

I can confirm it has securom by virtue of I have it. very distasteful of EA to say they would have no DRM and then pull this bullshit.

Right because I unquestionably trust pirates...

It isn't like their goals until the game is release is to spread as many rumors as possible :D

(I spend too much time on Gamefaqs...)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9