Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Generic Arms Race, Red Faction - Design Phase, 0001  (Read 3608 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Generic Arms Race, Red Faction - Design Phase, 0001
« on: February 11, 2024, 02:18:57 am »

The red-colored Entity was displeased. It took only moments to make their decision. They would simply have to teach the blue Entity the error of their ways, in the only way they could understand.

They called up their advisors, fragments of self that nonetheless possessed individual names, personalities, identities.

They began their creation. Though they had power to destroy or shape a thousand worlds, it would be wrong to use that to directly strike the other Entity. There was no need to escalate things beyond the total conquest of this battlefield.

Core Thread.

Spoiler: Current Designs (click to show/hide)

It is the first Shift Phase. What would you like to change about the game? I'll recommend that you use a vote box to keep track of the votes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 12:31:35 am by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Arms Race, Red Faction - Shift Phase, 0000
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 06:07:27 am »

PTW
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 09:36:30 am »

Shift: Shifting Battlefield
At the end of each Battle Phase, the terrain of the entire battlefield changes randomly.
Eg, changing from flat granite to dense woodland one turn, then changing to scattered islands the next, and so on.
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 11:44:19 am »

Shift: Disintegrating Battlefield for Discerning Badasses

At the end of each Battle Phase, the terrain of the entire battlefield changes randomly.
Eg, changing from flat granite to dense woodland one turn, then changing to scattered islands the next, and so on.

However, as each battle progresses, the battlefield falls apart and fades back into the featureless grey expanse. This comes about both through a natural slow erosion as the rules maintaining the battlefield fade as well as erosion and destruction caused by marauding armies. This inevitably results in a final clash between opposing forces in the aetheric fading and destroyed environments blended with the default state of the universe.

———

I take your idea and add to it.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 12:59:48 pm »

Shift: Disintegrating Battlefield for Discerning Badasses
Okay, so. This is a more interesting concept. But, I would argue it is a less appealing Shift. I have two main problems with it:
1: As the battle progresses, the battlefield gets less interesting. That seems undesirable.
2: Mechanically, how would this work? For both players and GM. For players, what design changes would be made? Other than "if we turtle long enough we can always fight in the same environment", which again, not very interesting. For the GM, more importantly, they have to now consider the duration of a battle and constantly adjust how strong each side is in the terrain present. How granular are they supposed to get with that? This would make writing BRs considerably more taxing, for a result that is at best not a lot more interesting, and at worst less interesting.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 01:51:30 pm »

I don't expect the battlefield rules to go unmodified for more than a turn, so having a neat concept play out once or twice doesn't seem like that big of a deal. If both sides get to change the rules once a turn, we're going to roll through options pretty quickly if both sides shift everything but the map. And if it doesn't work?

If you don't like how something works, go ahead and Shift it.

The first point is entirely reliant on the writer anyways. The battlefield might become plain, but that isn't the battle.
The second point isn't our concern as stated in the OP. I think Fal has made it pretty clear that anything we toss into the blender will be(rightfully) picked over with a comb.

Yeah, I get that those are concerns. Entirely valid. But I do they look more like concerns from a gm's own experience and player blurring the lines they should be thinking along a little bit. Fal might not see things through often (not like many of us do), but I do at least think what they have done shows an ability to keep things interesting. There was the one discord-run one back in the old days that had some halfcocked movement mechanic for the bases, but it was still interesting.

tl;dr I think you're putting too much stock in the longevity and reach of Shifts, and my opinion is we should focus more on the temporary, short term fun stuff. We're not setting rules in stone, so we aren't defining the entire game. We should take this opportunity to fiddle with an arms race like this, I think, since it's not like we get this ruleset often (or Arms Races often, either).

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 03:53:56 pm »

Shifting Battle Royale

However, as each battle progresses, the battlefield falls apart, with these s falling into the endless void. This comes about as a slow erosion along the battlefield edges, plus any terrain damage caused by combatants.

Hits MoP's vibe whilst addressing Nuke's concerns I think.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 05:07:44 pm »

What if we XBox 180

Shift: Natural Feature Creep

At the end of each Battle Phase, the terrain of the entire battlefield changes randomly (Eg, changing from flat granite to dense woodland one turn, then changing to scattered islands the next, and so on). However, each battlefield starts off as a very small individual feature that makes up the terrain. As the battles progress, the field around them expands and transforms to "reveal" more of the landscape while the number of forces on the field naturally grows to match (obviously the same ratios are maintained).

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 05:56:11 pm »

Fallacy: If we use a shift to cause the battle terrain to change randomly, but we haven't created any terrains, what would happen?
she/her

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 06:06:15 pm »

I'd fill in the blanks by defining a short list of generic, bland-ish, terrains. Examples would be 'Forest', 'Desert', 'Plains', 'Wetlands'.

A later Shift could redefine those terrains, of course, or you could try to do it all at once, at higher risk of running into the 'scope' and 'complexity' limits.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 06:14:00 pm »

+1
she/her

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 05:36:50 am »

+1

Quote from: Votebox

Shifting Battlefield: Crystalizedmire, SamSpeeds

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 07:47:50 am »

Shifting Battlefield: (3) Crystalizedmire, SamSpeeds, NUKE9.13
I stand by my original proposal.

E: Thinking forward to other potential Shifts we could employ.
-Tech/Theme Shifts, such as "Gunpowder weapons exist now", or "Rune magic exists now". There are a lot of options in this category, and I would like to do one next turn (if Blue doesn't already do one this turn), though I have no real preference for what.
-Non-Combat Shifts, such as "Revision phase exists now", or "Designs cost [N] Dice to perform. You get [N+X] Dice per turn. You can spend extra dice on a design to make it easier, or save up to perform two designs in one turn"
-Combat Shifts, such as "There is now an aerial theatre that can be contested", or "Players are required to describe the tactics their forces employ"
-Les Buggereurs Risible Shifts, such as "All design proposals must be in haiku format", or "Several players from each team are put into a secret third team whose goals are determined by the GM"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 03:25:41 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2024, 04:18:52 pm »

Is mostly everyone happy with the shift?
she/her

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2024, 05:13:46 pm »

Shifting Battlefield: (4) Crystalizedmire, SamSpeeds, NUKE9.13, Kashyyk

Sure. It's less likely to be an overreach than my version.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5