Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 153

Author Topic: NQT's Choose-Your-Own-Spheres - -D3 - GAME OVER - TOWN VICTORY  (Read 58016 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: NQT's Choose-Your-Own-Spheres - -D3 - GAME OVER - TOWN VICTORY
« Reply #2220 on: February 10, 2024, 10:56:15 pm »

Congratulations Town, we slayed a mighty group of Scum players this day.

Er, Mafia better luck next time.

Here is hoping that Fallacy gets a few more games as Town. He deserves it.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: February 10, 2024, 10:57:34 pm »

Today I am once more reminded that I am much better at designing setups than I am at playing in them.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: February 10, 2024, 10:58:26 pm »

I had a fruit-selling artefact that would have given me an extra vote. I was hoping to get you to dupe it.

Yeah, I was scared of your dup.  I would have probably only duped protection or blowback.

I was shockingly powerful at full unlock.

I could use an artefact item twice (I could use any ability I had twice, if it had at least two shots and didn't poof on me like Duplicate might)...

I could then give the artefact to another player.

I could use a second artefact item twice, then again give it to another player.

I can repeat that twice more with 2 more artefact items, and use give twice more to give them to a second 'another player'.

Then I could force those players to target each other, and use those artefacts however they work (be they self or target or whatever).  Then I end up with 2 items from each back with me the next day, not necessarily the artefacts I gave, but could be those back.

I just had to make sure I never got 4 'unstored' artefacts in my inventory at the same time, otherwise I go hunting for them again, and start over with the powers.

But guys... I could have done the above and also done everything else I could do, twice.  If I had lived and game reached D4.  I could have had a zillion actions!

FoU, you made me 'super fast', you 'corrupted slow' for me, by duping my ability to take items out of play, which also dupped their unlock effect, so store 2 items, get 2 effects, instead of 1.

Today I am once more reminded that I am much better at designing setups than I am at playing in them.

Please keep playing, FoU!  I like how you play (and run games!) please don't feel discouraged or sad/bad.  There's great stuff ahead for us all!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 10, 2024, 10:59:49 pm »

nqt, my blowback.

How much did that change the game?  Did it like warp peoples' abilities and stuff?  Did I 'cause' Toony to have abilities that appear to him designed to help Maf more than Town?

If so, what else did my sphere choice cause?
The blowback element to your power was in giving dangerous abilities at the start of the game. The six-shooter could have easily been fired (accidentally even with Magpie!) on town, while the Clementine was a secret weapon for scum to win LYLO. You didn't warp anyone's core role. Toony figured someone had blowback because he started with the Black Spot which could have killed him N1. There were a few ways those items could have duplicated as well, multiplying problems.

It's a shame Sofanthiel died before the night, because the cascade would have made planning a lot harder for everyone.

Here is hoping that Fallacy gets a few more games as Town. He deserves it.
I cosign this sentiment!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 10, 2024, 11:03:19 pm »

Oh yeah, two criticisms:
— Items were cool but made for a very mechanics-focused daygame
— Trading was powerful but didn't really feel like "my" power since it had nothing to do with the rest of my role and didn't particularly advantage me (besides giving me extra starting items... WHICH CM STOLE ALL OF >:()

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: February 10, 2024, 11:04:46 pm »

criticisms:
WHICH CM STOLE ALL OF >:()

Thank you so much for not blaming me.  I think I took more of your stuff than CM did (me 2, her 1).  Sorry.  I meant to give stuff back to you, loads of stuff if I could get loads of stuff.  Stuff for all, if the game went that long.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: February 10, 2024, 11:06:10 pm »

Yeah.  Warehouse13, the series.  All your base (items) are belong to us.  But I'll give back the ones safe for you to keep and use?  hides and cries.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: February 10, 2024, 11:06:40 pm »

I'm not actually upset about the items, it's just funny to me that I started with four and lost them all

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: February 10, 2024, 11:09:34 pm »

Oh yeah, two criticisms:
— Items were cool but made for a very mechanics-focused daygame
— Trading was powerful but didn't really feel like "my" power since it had nothing to do with the rest of my role and didn't particularly advantage me (besides giving me extra starting items... WHICH CM STOLE ALL OF >:()
Yes, I agree the item shuffling probably contributed to a large part of the post inflation in this game (2nd longest of all time). And yes, in future games, trading will be included as a core mechanic rather than being tied to one player.

Overall I feel like the spheres did what I wanted in bringing the choice element from Choose Your Own Mafia, but retaining a finer level of control over the setup for a more cohesive experience. Some proposed grid changes:

- Overpowered will be split up into a few sub-components
- Something to do with Items will be a sphere of its own
- Suspicious will be revamped to make it, well, more suspicious

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: February 10, 2024, 11:12:47 pm »

NJW lied about their second wincon, sneaky sneaky...

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: February 10, 2024, 11:15:40 pm »

I feel like my role fit very well thematically, especially with the whole 'screws with roleflips' thing, but ironically that passive made things harder for me later on.

It seemed to fit very well thematically, but the utility was a bit questionable.

Overall I feel like the spheres did what I wanted in bringing the choice element from Choose Your Own Mafia, but retaining a finer level of control over the setup for a more cohesive experience. Some proposed grid changes:

- Overpowered will be split up into a few sub-components
- Something to do with Items will be a sphere of its own
- Suspicious will be revamped to make it, well, more suspicious

Maybe add a 'warp' mechanic, where a submission can link two spheres that are separated by precisely one gap, but only once?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: February 10, 2024, 11:30:45 pm »

trading will be included as a core mechanic

I had no idea that trading and giving were not both core mechanics!

Thanks, EP, I loved the trade mechanic.  I really did townlean on you (even though Tric helped me see that I didn't like your lack of reads D3... but you were clearly sure we were over with FoU, and we are.  I was seriously scared we had more baddies, not just maybe FoU not anti-town, but could be 2 more anti-town).

But despite that, items in others' hands is good for me, even with my 'anything you guys can do with items, I can probably do better' (not what I explicitly asked for) but if I die... you guys need those items to carry on better!  I was gonna give and give and create and fix and make and empower...

I just had to put so much into unlocking myself first :(

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: February 10, 2024, 11:39:46 pm »

Maybe add a 'warp' mechanic, where a submission can link two spheres that are separated by precisely one gap, but only once?
I'm considering having Hats be warpable onto one other sphere (the downside being you have to spend a sphere on Hats which only guarantees an item-based role).

Other changes:

- Rename Dud to Niche, to better signal that you won't get a wholly useless power out of it
- Shuffle things around a bit
- Overpowered will be split into something like: Mass-Effecting (multi-targeting or game-wide effects), Accelerated (multiple actions), Diverse (lots of possible actions)
- I'm thinking modifiers like Super, Meta, the various descendants of Overpowered, Self-Confirmation, and Daytime be dark blue, limited to two per person (so no one rocks up with a role that is all modifiers and no actual substantive power) -- don't want to make the grid too complex to fill out though, so maybe not

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: February 10, 2024, 11:45:14 pm »

Niche would have tempted me in ways dud absolutely did not.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: February 10, 2024, 11:58:26 pm »

I was scared at the beginning of the game that too many people would pick the Kill sphere and not enough people picked the Self-Preservation/Protection spheres.
Could have been a bloody N1...
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 153