Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: A Mischief of Birbs: Forgotten in the Night: Mafia Victory  (Read 8732 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: A Mischief of Birbs: Forgotten in the Night: Mafia Victory
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2023, 02:27:35 pm »

It became pretty clear they were scumhunting but it was late on D1 that happened, I would’ve been too focused on what came before that, as well as Imp dropping conversation points from the end of D1 (the shade thrown at Egan and I) on D2.

Serious, null tell there.

As I clearly did it as town.  So that's something at least I would do as town.  Everything mattered, every single bit.

A lot of the stuff I focus on are elements in a case to build toward someone being scum or town.

Unfortunately I’m horrible at building the cases simultaneously for one player, so tend towards confirmation bias of already held opinions, which is usually that they’re scum, because mild paranoia colours everything when I’m town.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2023, 02:31:15 pm »

A lot of the stuff I focus on are elements in a case to build toward someone being scum or town.

Unfortunately I’m horrible at building the cases simultaneously for one player, so tend towards confirmation bias of already held opinions, which is usually that they’re scum, because mild paranoia colours everything when I’m town.

haha, k well, I'll likely refer back to this in the future if seems useful!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2023, 04:16:10 pm »

well, I tried

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2023, 04:31:21 pm »

well, I tried

it showed!  We tried hard :)

Any advice?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2023, 07:46:16 pm »

My sense was that Hec and Egan both thought I was pretty scummy.

To my standards I was scumhunting well, but I'm also not exactly experienced, and my scumhunting skillz such as they are doesn't come from games like this and need some refinement to fit.

And nobody called Hec on calling me not scum hunting.

While I could - that's opinion, and potentially valid.  Egan seemed to share it.  Sof seemed to have faith in me, while not doing his own job past the 'have fun' part.  Max seemed to be using a deep brilliance that was town-aligned, and read me very well to my own thinking, but nobody else seemed to particularly express anything about my scumhunting or protest Hec's declaration about it.
That post was for Crystal.

Honestly, the only thing you can do is, uh, calm down?  You post a lot, and it buries a lot of the conversation, so try to post less, and get more of your voice out in those posts.

There is one more piece of advice, but it's SPECIFICALLY for cases like this (i.e. Lylo/Mylo), which is that YOU need to find scum--and also find Town.  You can't rely on anyone else to determine who is Town or scum for you.  I actually want you to pay attention to what hector was saying with his play:  He was talking about pocketing people (and how Max was also doing that.)  That means he was trying to get people on his side for the following Day.  You should consider thinking about that a little bit (This is very much a scum tactic, but in more advanced play, it is very important.)  I think you had a lot of leverage to make the Town do exactly what you said on the last Day.  You were basically the Town's leader.  Unfortunately, this means that it's up to you to determine the avenues of attack.

Your attack was to go after Crystal, but it was a very passive method of finding scum, and it relies on Crystal to defend themselves when they are still new to the game.  In that case, your goal is to give them the means to defend themselves.  It is very tough to do (and very time-consuming), but it will give you three things:

A)  MORE TOWN CREDIT.
B)  MORE INFORMATION.
C)  MORE EXPERIENCE.

You can never look TOO Town, so cash that credit in for favors.  You CAN have too much information, but if you are down to the last Day(s), take what you can get.  And for the experience...  We all started out not knowing what we need to know.  We don't know what we don't know, and when you're in a situation where everyone is ganging up on you, if you've never been in that situation, you won't know what's needed.  Identify those that need help, give them the chance to fight back with the tools they have available, and then give them space.

In Crystal's case, I would have said something along the following:

"Okay, don't worry about making a solid case right now.  I just need you to tell me who you think is the most likely to be scum from your perspective.  In fact, maybe just order them for me.  If you have any reason at all, feel free to list it.  There are no wrong answers.  This includes me.  Because if you are not scum, then one of the others are, and any information you have to find that will be needed to win."

They'll have to make some observations and calls, and they might be bad, but the best way to be good at something is by being bad at it until you're not.

That's my advice.  You didn't play bad, but you made some errors that did cost you the game.  And that's okay.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2023, 10:51:09 pm »

Why did you visit Egan, btw? I thought that was an odd decision, visiting someone you were so vociferous about being town.
I felt that Egan was the least likely to be covered by anyone else, and I figured SOMEBODY should. My precognition was clearly not totally up to snuff, though, because I was a little surprised nobody covered Crymea. Which could have prevented this outcome. But since I also figured I could very well end up dead, I wasn't concerned about the value of the information I'd get. After all, tracking is helpful both ways.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2023, 01:31:16 pm »

I was a little surprised nobody covered Crymea. Which could have prevented this outcome.

Yeah, an alternative reality has me trying the same opening ploy, even if I tracked someone who didn't track Max.

However, you predicted who people would want killed in the spec thread, where you said:

"As far as I'm concerned, only hector and Egan are particularly likely to kill me in the present scenario.
I think Crysma would probably kill Imp here, and it seems like Imp might have killed hector."

An aside, I have no idea who I might have killed.  Max, you're a darn tempting target, you incredible loose cannon.  Hector and Egan are also pretty tempting targets.  I would not have NKed CrystalizedMire unless I was doing something strange.

However, Max, who did you think would probably follow CrystalizedMire?  asked as Esk considers that a player like CrystalizedMire should probably be tracked N1 to try and help clear them, that might have set up a more likely town win, actually

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2023, 02:19:38 pm »

However, Max, who did you think would probably follow CrystalizedMire?  asked as Esk considers that a player like CrystalizedMire should probably be tracked N1 to try and help clear them, that might have set up a more likely town win, actually
I honestly didn't think it out that far. It's one thing to think about who would be killed per possible scum player, which is directly relevant to scumhunting, but I didn't give any thought to what the town's night actions might be. If I had I'd probably have noticed nobody was going to do it, since, thinking back now, I can't see how anyone would have.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2023, 09:49:03 pm »

Good game and congrats to hector! :D
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]