Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blind Mafia (recruiting)  (Read 1960 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Blind Mafia (recruiting)
« on: November 03, 2023, 05:35:43 am »

So this is going to be either brilliant to idiotic (probably the later.) What if you didn't know who the (dead or alive) players were?
Due to the unbalanced nature of this setup, it's obviously just for the lulz.

The rules are as follows:
Among the players is 1 guaranteed henchman (part of Mafia, who collectively may kill 1 person each night)
There may also be one or more of the following (sorry, I don't know the terminology, feel free to tell me what these are actually called):
  • Blocker (may prevent one person from carrying out their role at night. Must choose correctly between Don and Henchman to prevent the Mafia kill.)
  • Cop (may investigate one person per night to find out if they are Town-aligned or Mafia-aligned)
  • Coroner (may investigate one dead person per night to find out if they were Town-aligned or Mafia-aligned)
  • Doctor (May prevent one death from happening to another player at night. The target still dies if they're killed by two different players at the same time.)
  • Don (part of Mafia, who collectively may kill 1 person each night. As long as Don is alive they have the final say in who mafia kills that night)
  • Homeopath (Think they're a "doctor". Has no actual ability)
  • Lawyer (Knows who the Mafia are, but can not kill at night. Wins with Mafia)
  • Maverick (Thinks they're a "cop". Kills target of the investigation, after getting the read.)
  • Vigilante (may kill 1 person per night. Aligns with town)
Everyone else is a Citizen (has no abilities whatsoever, wins if alive and town wins)

Now for the twist(s):
When a player dies their role is not announced.
The game only ends if a "No-lynch" decision is reached*, at which point if any mafia aligned players are still in the game they win (and everyone else loses.) And if there are none, everyone still alive wins (but the dead people still lose.)
(*)If only two players are left, they are automatically assumed to not lynch.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 10:16:54 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Mafia (recruiting)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 06:16:35 am »

There is a queue for mafia games, check the stickied threads. Maximum Spin is next in line.
About the rules, it is a creative idea but I'm afraid this variant would heavily favor mafia. Town is already at an information disadvantage and these rules would make the information gap much more extreme, without compensation for Town.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Mafia (discussion)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 06:18:17 am »

Not all the roles are in the game. only the henchman is guaranteed, everyone else might be citizens.

Also,
The queue has been overthrown in favor of "More Fun", so there is no "normal flow" at this time.  You can start your game whenever, although members here might be engaged with some other game that is already running or about to run, decreasing your pool of "extras".
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 06:21:43 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 06:23:52 am »

In fact, how about we switch henchman out with lawyer?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 08:22:53 am »

There are quite a few ideas in there, some a bit more unfamiliar than others. Obscured flips and insane doctors/cops have been done before, if you want to check out what people have said about balancing them try a mafia wiki. The town needing to live to win is odd… makes the game a bit silly if you’re killed by mafia. The maverick is an interesting role, especially in this context. Don’t really understand the voting thing… there’s a lot going on here.

Which aspects do you think are crucial to your idea?

If it’s about zero-info on death, that could be interesting, but I’d suggest asking for balance advice if you’re not going to say which roles are present beforehand. Can’t really say more than Quarque has about balance if the actual setup isn’t fully decided on… no flip generally favours scum but maybe not hugely. It could be run, a game centred around obscured flips would be unusual and potentially quite cool.

I wouldn’t be too worried about having to wait a while if you did put your game in the queue - we seem to have a lot of people stepping aside to make way for people behind them.
One wheel short of a wagon

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 09:29:31 am »

Which aspects do you think are crucial to your idea?
The lack of reveals and the paranoia of having a mafia still around while it's been disposed of. That, unfortunately, means people who die have to lose.  Everything else I'm willing to sacrifice to get this going.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 11:33:42 am »

Ah. So it’s about reaching a point where the surviving people feel they have eliminated the mafia and are willing to agree to stop eliminating… it’s about how sure people are in their judgements and their willingness to manage risk. That’s interesting, although it’s far from normal mafia - in technical terms, anyone not mafia would be a survivor.

To be honest, I would find that setup more interesting without the mafiakill. Otherwise there’s a stronger focus on avoiding the mafiakill and elimination than actually trying to find scum… the night game becomes crucial, day discussion is more mechanical and speculative, there are nokill and claim bluffs added to an already extremely powerful mafia arsenal, and so on.

Some reflection of my personal preference here, but I don’t think the nightgame stuff would draw out the paranoid tension as reliably.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 12:07:53 pm »

I wouldn't play a game where dying as town made me lose, but I'm with NJW: I 100% want to see the Maverick in action. Hilarious role concept

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 06:38:25 pm »

There have been games on this forum where the role/alignment was not revealed on death.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 07:10:53 pm »

Do you think you could point them out to me, to see how this setup works out?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 04:48:17 am »

To be honest, I would find that setup more interesting without the mafiakill. Otherwise there’s a stronger focus on avoiding the mafiakill and elimination than actually trying to find scum… the night game becomes crucial, day discussion is more mechanical and speculative, there are nokill and claim bluffs added to an already extremely powerful mafia arsenal, and so on.
OK, how about this: There are only 2 roles- lawyer (let's call them 'cultists' for this scenario) and survivor. Survivors need to ferret out who the cultists are and eliminate them. Cultists need but to survive (and also have a secret chat). No roles are revealed on death.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 10:51:53 pm »

Do you think you could point them out to me, to see how this setup works out?

Here is one: Who are the Gnosia?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 07:59:42 am »

That seems to have been a fun game. I will add a "coroner" to the roles.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2023, 04:25:36 am »

OK, how about this: There are only 2 roles- lawyer (let's call them 'cultists' for this scenario) and survivor. Survivors need to ferret out who the cultists are and eliminate them. Cultists need but to survive (and also have a secret chat). No roles are revealed on death.
I assume survivors still need to survive to win? Otherwise it’s a very different game, much closer to normal mafia, and the “survivors” will always eliminate as many people as they can, just to be safe.

I would advise against calling them cultists - that generally refers to a mafia group that converts instead on killing. Unless that’s what you mean.

In general, I’d try to be a bit less hasty - I suspect one reason there haven’t been any signups yet is that people aren’t sure what the rules are. Producing a detailed summary of the rules will also help you see any problems and make running the game a lot smoother.

This is a cool and different mafia concept - I’d enjoy seeing the setup given the time and attention it deserves.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2023, 09:16:32 pm »

In.
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.
Pages: [1] 2