Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 13154 times)

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Design)
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2023, 12:19:37 am »

If there's a goal to make things "physics-breaking" there'd have to be logical steps to get to that point. We aren't adhering strictly to reality, but reality is the starting point.
Thank-you for the clarification, I was worried a tiny bit I had misunderstood the assignment.

Also the Wind Rifle is literally just a copy of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girardoni_air_rifle

So... Expensive or Very Expensive with a Very difficult modifier? is pretty cool but hilariously not what we would be able to win with.

-
Let's focus, then, on making "boring" designs to start off with and then consider which physics to try to break, as having a proper baseline to build from seems prudent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Baptiste_Vaquette_de_Gribeauval

It is also important to remember not to underestimate how smart the people in the past were, because lots of innovations one might think of as modern are actually already done. And reality is very cool anyway, so one can "rule of cool" with reality.

Heck, what's not to love about guns that are cheap, work well and are useful for a long time? Bang bang bang
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 12:28:43 am by Thanatos Russ »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2023, 01:36:22 am »

If pure functionality was the goal here I'd already have voted one of Maxim's designs. My personal goal is to do something more interesting, and the wind-rifle matches that better.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2023, 02:21:19 am »

So you are intentionally voting for something that's impractical and a dead end that is going to be expensive, hard to make and mediocre even if it succeeds?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2023, 02:37:15 am »

So you are intentionally voting for something that's impractical and a dead end that is going to be expensive, hard to make and mediocre even if it succeeds?
I mean, I disagree on the 'impractical', 'dead end', 'expensive', 'hard to make', and 'mediocre even if it succeeds' parts, but yes.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2023, 02:37:34 am »

L'Arsenal De Sa Majesté Modèle 1912 "Volcan" Rocket Gun
The Volcan is fairly short for a standard rifle at a mere 25 inches in length, but its novel ammunition obviates most problems that could arise from being so short. This "rocket ball" ammo is an 11×62mm copper-jacketed and lead-headed tube that uses a standard primer to ignite its rocket fuel, launching the round out the barrel and continuing to accelerate to a maximum 800m/s over the next second or two. This delayed acceleration minimizes recoil for the user and allows the use of a simple blowback firing mechanism with a rifle round without it becoming the size of a brick. Of course this also means at short ranges it is noticeably less lethal, so our boffins have made an additional ammo type that replaces the lead head and a not insignificant amount of fuel with a pyrotechnic charge to create a limited issue (the average soldier will likely get enough to load a single 10-round detachable mag, or two stripper clips) and short-ranged but devastating round. At extreme close ranges the wielder can rely on a 22-inch sword bayonet to fend off opponents. Finally the Volcan's miscellanea includes a simple aperture sight and black walnut furniture.

I got to thinking about something someone said earlier.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 02:39:20 am by m1895 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2023, 08:50:27 am »

Not what I was talking about. I'm talking more like, air cannons that shoot orbs of hypercompressed gas that explode violently upon impact, without making a sound before being fired, shrouds of ethereal particles that deflect attacks, anti-electronic fumes, stifling all the air in an entire theatre to prevent the travel of sound, making enemy communication impossible.
On this.

Air Cannons: Would need specialized ammo. Some type of air particle that naturally bonds with itself. Without turning into water. MAD, but doable?

Air Shrouds: Probably the same as above, something that naturally binds together.

Anti-radio: Not doable with air, beyond solidifying it so no waves could pass though. (Which would include light.)

Czarne Powietrze: Black Air
A specially formulated gas, Black Air naturally binds to itself, requiring specialized tools to cut it, and a specific amount of watts to break it down. Solidified Air that does not bond to become liquid, it interlinks to create solid constructs. When forcibly compressed, it darkens in hue, until it becomes a jet black through which no light passes though. It's an ideal ammo due to it's light weight, and can hold pretty much anything within it so long as a destabilizer is included to break the mass apart on impact.

I like the amount of salt and difficulty inducement argument going on. The fact is that the air rifle is a 100 year old design. That means at worst it's hard. (At worst, using a traditional design probably means Normal or better.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 08:54:42 am by TricMagic »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2023, 09:48:33 am »

This is rapidly reaching critical mass.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2023, 11:17:55 am »

The GM has stated explicitly that starting from reality should be our basis, please can we just be realistic and smart by choosing a fucking standard rifle with no drawbacks or shortcomings in how it operates because its normal?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2023, 11:19:48 am »

Sadly those voting for air gun have kicked logical progression of history to the curb and replaced it with their own. Rather than follow the normal path, they split from it to form a new path. One where air reins over the future. (And probably steam airships)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 11:22:46 am by TricMagic »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2023, 11:28:51 am »

I'm sorry but you're just not a serious person Tric.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2023, 11:33:00 am »

Given I have a meme idea about a gun powered by salt? Yeah, fair. (Though Molten Salt Reactors exist.)

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2023, 11:39:00 am »

Tric you and Fallacy have single handedly killed my enthusiasm for this game.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2023, 11:45:26 am »

So, either we don't have fun, or you don't have fun? That's a lose-lose situation.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2023, 11:51:00 am »

The fun part about team games and collaboration is finding a middle ground everybody equally hates less than the other options. Don’t be Debbie Downers or Salty Steves, you’ve got four more whole turns and this turn’s revision to disappoint yourselves further!

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2023, 11:54:40 am »

The fun part about team games and collaboration is finding a middle ground everybody equally hates less than the other options. Don’t be Debbie Downers or Salty Steves, you’ve got four more whole turns and this turn’s revision to disappoint yourselves further!

I've already reached rock bottom if this is the direction they're intending to try and push our tech base.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31