Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 13164 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Design)
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2023, 12:00:13 pm »

The fun part about team games and collaboration is finding a middle ground everybody equally hates less than the other options. Don’t be Debbie Downers or Salty Steves, you’ve got four more whole turns and this turn’s revision to disappoint yourselves further!

I've already reached rock bottom if this is the direction they're intending to try and push our tech base.
Your intended direction for our tech base seems to be WW1. Not being WW1 has soured your enthusiasm for the game. You know what they say about assumptions. 3 letters, you and me.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2023, 12:18:30 pm »

The fun part about team games and collaboration is finding a middle ground everybody equally hates less than the other options. Don’t be Debbie Downers or Salty Steves, you’ve got four more whole turns and this turn’s revision to disappoint yourselves further!

I've already reached rock bottom if this is the direction they're intending to try and push our tech base.
Your intended direction for our tech base seems to be WW1. Not being WW1 has soured your enthusiasm for the game. You know what they say about assumptions. 3 letters, you and me.

Dear god the quote is-
Greatest War Arms Race is an Arms Race based in an alternate universe on a planet of humans about to enter their equivalent of our World War I. 

It says its entering its equivalent to World War 1 what the fuck am I supposed to think?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2023, 12:21:26 pm »

The concern I have with starting off by designing a Firarm is that it then disincentives us from diverging from the Firearm track, as we would then be starting from step one again, but a few turns behind the Administration in the action economy. If we're going to go for something other than Firearms, I'd prefer we do it from the start.

Maxim and others have made it clear they don't like Air Rifles as as a proposal. Are you all dead set on a traditional Firearm, or can we select some other non-standard "interesting" alternative? I know my argument for Air Rifles is that extant weapon clones are done to death and I want something new. Can we find that mildly acceptable middle ground?

From a metagaming stance, the GM is incentivised to work with whatever we propose (unless it's utterly moronic), because otherwise we don't have a game.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2023, 12:28:28 pm »

Personally I read that as 'that's the approximate time period and starting tech level', not 'this is the direction things should go'.

The OP does explicitly state that this is a science fiction arms race.

I'm sorry but you're just not a serious person Tric.

I don't think that's a problem. I don't have fun when taking games seriously. It's why I don't play ranked matchmaking for competitive games, or such.

It's more fun to do interesting things than practical things, at least for me.

You're completely free to try and convince the other people voting for the Windgun to switch, but keep in mind you've already tried arguments to historic technology, practicality, and realism. That's not going to sway people who think that less realistic technology is more fun.

If you can make me think that your rifle will be more fun for me, I'll switch, simple as that.

It's just that... my version and vision of fun doesn't focus on realistic historical engineering, it focuses on experimentation, ingenuity, and absurdity.

Re, Kashyyk: I'd be happy to vote for just about anything that isn't a standard historically accurate rifle. Coilgun, windgun, steamgun, hell, could probably even make something like a repeating crossbow with a barrel for the bolt, using mushroom-derived stretch-fibers.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2023, 12:50:13 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
4 - Świnka-Kröte M12 Rifle - Maxim, UristMcRiley, C2M, Thanatos
0 - Gryf's Szybki Rifle -
0 - 'Killer Queen' Standard Steam Rifle -
0 - Míngxīng Shèshǒu Rifle -
4 - Wiatrówki Wer. 1 "Windgun Ver. 1" - TricMagic, TCK, Kashyyk, Fallacy
1 - Mle 1912 "Volcan" Rocket Gun - m1895

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2023, 12:54:47 pm »

You know, there's almost some artistic significance to the tie that exists now. It precisely demonstrates how divided our team is, from the very first design phase.

That aside, the mod has stated a heavy preference not to have to use a coin toss to break a tie, so if anyone would like to vote for the Windgun, or put another proposal forwards, that'd be swell.

Yes, I see the rocket gun, and I think it's fine, just not as unique as the Windgun. I'd still vote for it over the M12 if that's what it takes, though.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2023, 01:06:20 pm »

I like how the compromise rocket option is more ambitious than the leading options. Doesn't really speak to me though.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2023, 06:01:08 pm »

clearly we need a third faction on a neighbouring isle that is at war with south and north /s

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2023, 06:24:37 pm »

Rune race was a while ago.

Coiling Bow "Kynigós"
An imaginative take on modern weaponry, a Coiling Bow is comprised of 2 electromagnetic coils forming the arms of a longbow. Layered with a rubber grip, a metal rod with a hardened point is placed at the EM outlet. (The nocking position with iron sight) The user pulls back the drawstring, which ramps up the electromagnetic field in a cone forward, and it is released. As it passes through, the bolt is accelerated to the speed of a gun-fired bullet, with pinpoint accuracy up to 500 meters. It's effective range is close to 1600 meters if accuracy is no longer a concern and targets are plentiful. The user carriers an electrical pack on their hip to provide power, and batteries to keep it charged. The use of a quiver allows our soldiers unparalleled firing rate compared to traditional guns, and an ease in training firing formations.

It's based upon a coilgun's ability to propel a bullet. The lack of explosives compared to regular guns renders them quite silent, and the mass of the arrow compared to a bullet means more punch. Each arrow is nocked with edges at the back to replicate fletching's correction to provide a spiraling stabilization in flight. Moreover, ammunition is easy to mass produce. The main limiter to their use is the number of batteries to keep the bow charged.

My silly idea. Which is even more backwards than the airgun, but imaginative. (And maybe insane, as par the course for me.)

You may proceed to tear it apart. But this path is mostly based around materials science I think. (And coils.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 06:43:40 pm by TricMagic »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2023, 06:28:34 pm »

Yeah, I'm gonna need to say the magic magnet bow somehow better than guns on all fronts is hella not possible until you work something out that'd get you to that point

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2023, 06:33:18 pm »

Just a minor edit to make 1600 max then. Not sure if that's enough, but a simple switch.
Also the tuning distance bit removed.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2023, 06:39:59 pm »

I love how the bow is intended to use coilgun tech but is a bow, instead of a coilgun.

Its just the perfect example of this entire argument.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 06:43:17 pm by Maxim_inc »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2023, 06:47:12 pm »

The bow is, very silly.

Just because I don't want to focus on developing realistic technology doesn't mean I'm in favor of just trying to skip to the end result of developing unrealistic stuff without any development in between.

@Paperman Do you have a planned end time for the first Design phase, or are you just waiting until both sides have a consensus?

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2023, 06:48:08 pm »

The first coil gun was invented in 1904. They have bad range, but at least they are a thing. Why would you go with bow and arrow coil gun it's even worse than the stupid steam gun that was also a historical gun that was crap... come on tric

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2023, 06:51:09 pm »

Hey, technology we create here isn't obligated to be ineffective just because it was ineffective in reality.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31