Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 6740 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Design)
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2023, 05:07:09 pm »

I have to stand by my idea, i like

Quote from: leadbox
ADM-12 Bean Counter Rifle (0):
NSA-LR-1912-3-1, ADM Index:1A1 (3): Quarque, NUKE9.13 , AseaHeru
Blitz shock rifle, (1) :  Funk
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2023, 08:44:43 pm »

NSA-LR-1912-3-1, ADM Index:1A1 (4): Quarque, NUKE9.13 , AseaHeru, Nirur
A vote for the serial number gun is a vote for beating the monarchy with bureaucracy memes.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2023, 12:26:44 pm »

NSA-LR-1912-3-1, ADM Index:1A1 (5): Quarque, NUKE9.13, AseaHeru, Nirur, Powder Miner
I can't NOT vote for a naming scheme this profoundly fucked up

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2023, 04:46:11 pm »

I thought about making some changes, but honestly, after looking at some videos of the real Schmidt-Rubin, I can't think of much I want to change. 6 rounds is about the most we'd want on a stripper clip without going to something like a Garand-style clip at which point if we're going to be ballsy like that we might as well just reload the gun by detaching the magazine all the time. I was going to say the free floating barrel is weird but I guess it's fully enclosed by the stock anyway so it's not like it's exposed to the weather. I'm still not sure that provides much benefit with mass-produced ammo but whatever.

NSA-LR-1912-3-1, ADM Index:1A1 (6): Quarque, NUKE9.13, AseaHeru, Nirur, Powder Miner, Sensei

Now, I AM sort of wondering if "medium sci-fi setting" doesn't mean we should go for something more steampunk and over-the-top, but maybe we will save that for our support weapons. There is probably more to lose than to gain by taking a big risk with our infantry rifles.

I'm also wondering about this bit...
Quote from: Additional Rules
Do not allow a human being to come to harm.
Obey orders given by humans unless they conflict with the above rule.
Protect your own existence so long as it doesn't conflict with the above two rules.
Guys, are we all robots?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2023, 06:05:35 am »

I thought about making some changes, but honestly, after looking at some videos of the real Schmidt-Rubin, I can't think of much I want to change. 6 rounds is about the most we'd want on a stripper clip without going to something like a Garand-style clip at which point if we're going to be ballsy like that we might as well just reload the gun by detaching the magazine all the time. I was going to say the free floating barrel is weird but I guess it's fully enclosed by the stock anyway so it's not like it's exposed to the weather. I'm still not sure that provides much benefit with mass-produced ammo but whatever.
I've heard they made (Real S-Rs) for mean sniper rifles down the line but at this point idk, fluff.
Now, I AM sort of wondering if "medium sci-fi setting" doesn't mean we should go for something more steampunk and over-the-top, but maybe we will save that for our support weapons. There is probably more to lose than to gain by taking a big risk with our infantry rifles
POWDERPUNK EVERYTHING IS PROPELLED BY EXPLOSIONS OUR VEHICLES USE AMMUNITION AS FUEL MORE DAKKA MORE LOGISTICAL OVERHEAD DELIVER DUMP TRUCKS OF LOOSE AMMO TO THE FRONTLINE
That or IDK, solarpunk?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 06:23:44 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2023, 07:10:34 am »

Now, I AM sort of wondering if "medium sci-fi setting" doesn't mean we should go for something more steampunk and over-the-top, but maybe we will save that for our support weapons. There is probably more to lose than to gain by taking a big risk with our infantry rifles.
Knowing the GM, it just means we can relax about realism, as long as we manage suspension of disbelief.
I would prefer to let the sci fi element grow organically rather than committing to a narrowly defined style of madness up front. Building up a setting from the tasty nuggets we stumble upon, see where it leads.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2023, 12:33:52 pm »

To add - I think that since we're given an option to create either a bolt-action rifle or a semi-auto with a caveat that the latter might be unreliable, which I THINK makes it make sense for us to want a slightly more premium option on a bolt-action rifle.

Either way:
War Council of the Northern States Administration Index, more commonly known as ADM Index or just ADMI is a method of designating every piece of equipment in use by the forces of Northern States for a short, concise and easy to understand way allowing for streamlined logistics. It is mostly managed by the Main Subcouncil of Artillery and Munitions which is responsible for warehouses and depots that store said pieces of equipment. Contrary to popular belief the ADM Index isn't used by specific design bureaus, which instead usually use the longer NSA-type-year-proposal-variant style and is also doesn't mean there are no other designations or nicknames existing for those designs. ADMI codes also do not neccesarily have to be in order of adoption or chronological order as arranging it as such is considered an easy information risk if enemy were to ever get an incomplete list.
The usual ADMI code includes first number designating the general category, letter(s) designating the specific type and another number designating specific design or variant. To date (1912) the comission has viewed it neccesary to outline main categories as such:
5 - infantry equipment. This includes all pieces of individual infantryman kit, firearms, firearm accesories, magazines, belts, crates of ammo, mounts for weapons, sights, armor and melee weapons.
8 - ammunition. This includes all items such as personal firearm ammunition, artillery ammunition, explosives, grenades, non-explosive munitions such as arrows or bolts and all other items that are intended to be expended to achieve an offensive effect against enemy.
3 - artillery systems. This includes all forms of cannon, howitzer and other crew served weapons that are considered large caliber.
6 -  communications equipment. This includes all forms of telegraph, radio,
2 - assorted combat supplies. This mainly includes things such as sandbags, barbed wire or other fortification equipment but also things like tables, chairs, reading lights or showerheads.
Every type of equipment that can be defined as distinct within those main categories also has a letter (or two).
5:
N - personal firearms.
H - personal infantryman gear.
P - weapon magazines.
O - charging clips, stripper clips.
IP - firearm accesories.
K - melee weapons.
8:
A - personal firearms ammunition.
K - explosive artillery shells.
M - mortar shells.
3:
E - mortars.
W - field cannons.
L - howitzers.
And so on.
The last number in the index is used for specific adopted piece of equipment, for example:
The equipment letters and all are all up to change, I'd just like if we went heavy on the bueraucracy meme and I think NOT-GRAU is easy enough to understand with a bit of effort compared to some stuff and I think having an actual system would be great as opposed to pretending we do. Of course the system will also evolve and change with time and as it stands right now I feel like it's REALLY flexible for future memes.

Quote from: CURRENT ADMINISTRATION APPROVED DESIGN VOTE BOX
NSA-LR-1912-3-1, ADM Index:1A1 (6): Quarque, NUKE9.13, AseaHeru, Nirur, Powder Miner, Sensei
NSA-SR-12-3-3, ADM Index: 5N1 "Alauette" (1): Kot
Blitz shock rifle, (1) : Funk
I do not feel at liberty to change people's votes after shitting out this whole pile and without hearing their opinions on the system and wether they're okay with it, so I guess it's a different thing now?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 03:03:38 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2023, 05:18:38 am »

According to your system, shouldn't the rifle be 5N1, not 5A1?
Admittedly, my eyes glaze over trying to read that post, but it says 5N is personal firearms, no?
Long Live United Forenia!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2023, 05:40:03 am »

According to your system, shouldn't the rifle be 5N1, not 5A1?
Admittedly, my eyes glaze over trying to read that post, but it says 5N is personal firearms, no?
Yes, I kept changing the letters and numbers to maybe look cooler but I think this well illustrates the obvious bueraucratic benefits of a system that even I can't get right.
That aside, I wonder wether we should start considering the next design (it's spoilered in main thread and it's called a spoiler but eh?) or maybe something like a flag, anthem or war cry/motto so I don't have to ape Arstotzka all the time.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2023, 06:04:50 am »

Next design will be a choice between a machine gun or mortar. That's something to think about, a hard choice, as both were crucial in trench warfare. But we can do one of them in the next design phase and the other one later. I would be in favor of designing a machine gun first.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2023, 07:04:15 am »

Okay, one more important thing. "Alauette" sounds disturbingly French. I'm going to suggest that if we need names for things, we use Scots Gaelic (because I've tortured the rest of the world's languages enough, so to be fair I should inflict it on my home country). Hence, my suggestion for our basic service rifle's name is "Bunaiteach". Or "Bunusach", if you prefer Irish Gaelic.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2023, 07:32:02 am »

Okay, one more important thing. "Alauette" sounds disturbingly French. I'm going to suggest that if we need names for things, we use Scots Gaelic (because I've tortured the rest of the world's languages enough, so to be fair I should inflict it on my home country). Hence, my suggestion for our basic service rifle's name is "Bunaiteach". Or "Bunusach", if you prefer Irish Gaelic.
What are we, Foxhole Wardens? I like the idea though, not sure about the exact words but it's fine I guess, never big into weapon nicknames. Shouldn't we use 5B1 for it then? Then could name a machine gun Bẹlach since internet tells me that's a word that Gaelic uses maybe?
I think between machinegun and mortar I am also leaning into machinegun although if we do I think we should do a heavier caliber crew served weapon akin to a Maxim MG TuF. Maybe Gast-Flieger MG but instead of box magazines or drums we do Type 89 flexible type top pan magazines, resulting in something like 15x100mm which in a Gast system will give us absolutely ABSURD firepower at the expense of being heavy (comparatively to a twin-barreled high calibre machinegun not even that much) and quickly overheating but still not being particularly complex. Gast system also makes it almost impossible to water-cool the barrels, although we could do water-cooled reciever.
If we were to do a mortar I'm considering that instead of a traditional mortar or even the Arstotzkan rocket propelled mortar thing we built half the faction identity on we do that Soviet clay thrower thing that used wheels to shoot explosive discs or something that I am trying to find info on because I can't remember how it was named.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 08:00:07 am by Kot »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2023, 11:56:14 am »

What are we, Foxhole Wardens? I like the idea though, not sure about the exact words but it's fine I guess, never big into weapon nicknames. Shouldn't we use 5B1 for it then? Then could name a machine gun Bẹlach since internet tells me that's a word that Gaelic uses maybe?
I was going to suggest Ceilidh (pronounced kaley) for a machine gun. Although Google Translate has no idea what it means, it's a Gaelic word for a dance party gathering thing.
Anyway, if you change the name of your revised proposal to something Gaelic-y, I'll move my vote over.

I think between machinegun and mortar I am also leaning into machinegun although if we do I think we should do a heavier caliber crew served weapon akin to a Maxim MG TuF. Maybe Gast-Flieger MG but instead of box magazines or drums we do Type 89 flexible type top pan magazines, resulting in something like 15x100mm which in a Gast system will give us absolutely ABSURD firepower at the expense of being heavy (comparatively to a twin-barreled high calibre machinegun not even that much) and quickly overheating but still not being particularly complex. Gast system also makes it almost impossible to water-cool the barrels, although we could do water-cooled reciever.
I was gonna suggest a light-ish machine gun, on the basis that our rifle is gonna be bolt-action, so it might be helpful to have a more portable source of automatic fire when advancing. We will almost certainly want both varieties at some point, so I wouldn't object to doing a heavier one first if that's what folks'd prefer.

If we were to do a mortar I'm considering that instead of a traditional mortar or even the Arstotzkan rocket propelled mortar thing we built half the faction identity on we do that Soviet clay thrower thing that used wheels to shoot explosive discs or something that I am trying to find info on because I can't remember how it was named.
Like, a weaponised clay pigeon launcher? That would be amusing. Maybe in a regular design down the road, though, cos a machine gun is more important. Artillery can sort of vaguely fill in for what a mortar does (kinda), but nothing can replace the efficacy of a machine gun.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2023, 01:54:39 pm »

Let's finish up the renaming so that we're ready to start the next design phase. I would pick "Bunaiteach" as it sounds slightly more convoluted than "Bunusach". Eh, it looks more convoluted. I don't know how it sounds.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2023, 02:29:58 pm »

I was gonna suggest a light-ish machine gun, on the basis that our rifle is gonna be bolt-action, so it might be helpful to have a more portable source of automatic fire when advancing. We will almost certainly want both varieties at some point, so I wouldn't object to doing a heavier one first if that's what folks'd prefer.
My reasoning goes thus: we might get a semi-auto rifle relatively easily (this is of course presuming all our designs are at least "fine" but we can't plan for everything right now) or possibly even a full-auto light support weapon akin to Chauchat or something. Either way I doubt we will need portable trench clearing weapon extremely fast and a heavier machinegun using large bullets will be able to preemptively stop essentially anything that will come our way, even if it might be more expensive than cheap. We could also use it to arm any armored vehicles we might get in near future and I think it's cool because it turns air in front of it into fire and puts a lot of big holes into things really fast.

Like, a weaponised clay pigeon launcher? That would be amusing. Maybe in a regular design down the road, though, cos a machine gun is more important. Artillery can sort of vaguely fill in for what a mortar does (kinda), but nothing can replace the efficacy of a machine gun.
Yeah, that.

Quote from: CURRENT ADMINISTRATION APPROVED DESIGN VOTE BOX
NSA-SR-12-3-5, ADM Index: 5N1 "Bunaiteach" (1): Kot
Blitz shock rifle, (1) : Funk
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 03:03:57 pm by Kot »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9