Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Greatest War Arms Race (CORE THREAD) - Summer 1912  (Read 2915 times)

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Arms Race (CORE THREAD) - Spring 1912
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2023, 05:31:36 pm »

Gonna change to the NSA. Let me know when I can, as I have participated a lot in the southern thread so opsec would be ruined

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2023, 06:17:57 pm »

I'm not going to go around having half a team swap to the other side on the first action of the first turn. These games are about collaborating with your teammates to come up with ideas to flex on the other team. The other team only has their shit together right now because they happened to share a singular (likely drug-induced) vision, but that will not last. It never does. And then they'll find themselves in the same exact position your team is in right now. Just like every other arms race team.

Not necessarily looking to point fingers, so I'll just say the team in general needs to do less drawing lines in the sand and more reaching across the aisle. You're a team, for Pete's sake. Act like it.

inb4 nuke vomits seeing this come from me

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2023, 07:41:58 pm »

I, for one, would happy to accept some sensible individuals with the mere misfortune of having been born in the wrong country who wish to join our Northern States Alliance. That is provided they fill out their NSA-CA-IR6a-1-2 form correctly, submit in triplicate, receive their return NSA-CA-IR6b-2-1 form from the Migration Approval Ministry, submit that form back to the immigration office NO LATER THAN 6PM six office days from the initial NSA-CA-IR6a-1-2 form disbursal (so, do fill it out right away because the mail takes a day or three both ways) and finish their NSA-CA-ES1842c-14-5 citizenship exam with a score of 90 per-cent or higher. You should study about the founding ministers of the NSA while you wait for your NSA-CA-IR6b-2-1 in the mail. Remember the hotels in the border zone are only open to citizens of NSA member states during times of war, so plan on bringing a tent but stay out of the designated no camping zones and the special espionage exclusion zones.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2023, 09:17:07 pm »

I, for one, would happy to accept some sensible individuals with the mere misfortune of having been born in the wrong country who wish to join our Northern States Alliance. That is provided they fill out their NSA-CA-IR6a-1-2 form correctly, submit in triplicate, receive their return NSA-CA-IR6b-2-1 form from the Migration Approval Ministry, submit that form back to the immigration office NO LATER THAN 6PM six office days from the initial NSA-CA-IR6a-1-2 form disbursal (so, do fill it out right away because the mail takes a day or three both ways) and finish their NSA-CA-ES1842c-14-5 citizenship exam with a score of 90 per-cent or higher. You should study about the founding ministers of the NSA while you wait for your NSA-CA-IR6b-2-1 in the mail. Remember the hotels in the border zone are only open to citizens of NSA member states during times of war, so plan on bringing a tent but stay out of the designated no camping zones and the special espionage exclusion zones.
I don't mind.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2023, 10:06:41 pm »

The 11 page ! size disparity mighty just be the south haveing mass heat stroke...
But it will make your thread better reading later.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2023, 05:09:37 am »

The lastest news from across the border are a clear sign of superiority of a well oiled bueraucratic machine created by, and for, the people! The Tyranny of Southern Star is already internally divided and breaking under the lightest of strains! They haven't even drawn up proper design documents and technical drawings in single copy, much less three, they're still out there drawing lines in the sand like some sort of primitives! It's like they haven't designed paper yet! Victory is a matter of formality at this point, we will be home by NSA-PH-XMs1225! All goyrl to the people of NSA! All goyrl to the War Council!

What? Yes, of course I have my public proclamation permission right here...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2023, 08:02:37 am »

I'm hearing tales of great chaos from down south, and thus I simply must join them
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

force200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2023, 01:57:10 pm »

I'll be joining the sout as well.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Greatest War Arms Race (CORE THREAD) - Summer 1912
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2023, 09:29:41 pm »

Greatest War Combat Report, Spring 1912

A cold winter broke into a mild spring as the armies of The Kingdom of the Southern Star and The Northern States Administration massed more and more forces along their respective borders with the demilitarized zone separating them. Grasses up to waist-height obscured vision from the ground, although some hills, the occasional tree, and a comrade's shoulders gave each side the ability to observe their opponent in action. Most of the soldiers lived in tents in the distance behind their dugouts and the occasional log wall. While certainly one of the most volatile borders in the world, defenses had been practically nonexistent until continental unrest gave both nations an excuse to raise more than just a scattered border guard. And besides, everyone knew The Kingdom was biding it's time while The Administration was busy debating and discussing the terms and precise wording for their declaration of war against the South.

Originally introduced in August 1909 in the 24th Meeting of the Board of Labor and Employment, the Workers Against Regents Act was pushed forward which listed grievances laborers had with what little interaction they had with Southern workers and materials. As the conveniently named WAR Act made its way through every committee possible it was altered further with additional grievances until a tome as tall as a man was dropped before The King in December 1911. For the next three months The King crafted a response addressing each grievance, turning this book of grudges into what many in the future would cite as the inspiration for all future diss tracks.

Private Wojtek had climbed into a tree overnight for his shift on watch the next morning. It was one of the tallest trees on the Southern line's West Flank and only a dozen meters from the line, making it a large target but also a convenient natural observation point. This wasn't Wojtek's first time up The Tree, not even his first this week, but something about it felt different to him. The armorer and a Major he'd never seen handed him his freshly tuned Gryf's Szybki Rifle, his standard allotment of ammunition, and a marked magazine to use in the event that war finally broke out. This Pęknięcie Ammunition was experimental, and based on his test scores and evaluations Wojtek was chosen to test it in the field.

So when the sun started to rise, Wojtek was only mildly surprised to see shadows being cast across the dozen or so trails of crushed grass snaking across the demilitarized zone. He had to move some leaves out of his way to get a better view, managing to spot the Administration soldiers and call out in alarm just as they launched the sneak attack everyone saw coming years in advance. A couple Administration soldiers rolled into Southern dugouts wielding their rifles doubling as spears, the NSA-SR-12-3-5, ADM Index: 5N1 "Bunaiteach". Wojtek watched in horror as one of his countrymen was disemboweled before he could shoulder his weapon. Shouts, whistles, and gunfire erupted just in time to drown out the pained screams of the recently maimed, signalling to the Administration soldiers still in the grass that their best bet was to turn around and keep concealed in the grass. As quickly as the raid had started, the Administration sought to disengage, but Wojtek wasn't going to allow it. Gunfire going both ways passed beneath Wojtek's tree as he lined up his sight with the back of an Administration soldier trying to crawl back through the grass. The round struck the man in the leg and blew it off at the knee. Two more were doing a hunched run to put distance between them and the Kingdom line. Wojtek missed his first shot, blowing up soil behind his feet before another Southern soldier managed to put him down. Wojtek's next shot at the other fleeing soldier struck the base of his neck, popping his skull like a cork and sending it flying forward while the body dropped the moment it got it.

Wojtek would have vomited if he hadn't managed to take a round to the chest at that exact moment. He felt a lot of pain in his ribs as he hit every branch of the tree on the way down. It turned out that the North was also deploying soldiers with the NSA-LR-12-4-2, ADM Index: 5N2 "Banchéile". Soldiers armed with this rifle proved immediately highly effective at hitting what little they could see through the fields hiding behind cover or in a hole hundreds of meters away.

Over the next few weeks as tensions rose and the occasional exchange of gunfire rang out, Administrative rifles proved to be quite effective overall. It was clear where most melee engagements would fall, but another daring raid had yet to materialize after the first failed. Instead, the superior accuracy, power, and range of the Administration's weapons made up for a lower rate of fire as casualties ticked up more steadily for the Kingdom during these opening skirmishes. While the exploding bullets the South showed off were terrifying for anyone who heard about them, the rumors of their existence did more than the single magazine ever could. This first exchange seems to favor the Administration, but both sides have decided hold back from committing any further until they build up their forces some more.

In other news around the world, there was a failed expedition to one of the poles, a large ship carrying many people sank, and a pioneer of aviation passed away.

It is now the Design Phase. Return to your respective threads and continue your shenanigans there. Unless you want to talk some shit, that goes here.
TURNTURNTURN

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Arms Race (CORE THREAD) - Summer 1912
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2023, 09:42:42 pm »

Yes! Fear the single magazine of bullets we made!

Also, I'm sure Wojtek lived. He'll be back on his feet soon enough.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2023, 09:51:32 pm »

All soldiers are Wojtek deep down. Where one falls, another shall inherit his supply of bullets and determination to decapitate our foes!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2023, 12:59:54 am »

We are all Wojtek.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2023, 03:37:55 am »

This is horrible. You're doing Polish names and I'm not there to stop you from mangling them (which you have already managed to).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2023, 07:55:51 am »

MoP has used abbr to provide equipment descriptions. You won't see them on mobile browsers, so I've extracted them for anyone who (like me) read this thread on their phone and missed the descriptions. I would suggest future BRs include a spoiler with the new equipment descriptions at the bottom (just copies of the abbr ones) for the benefit of mobile readers.   
[/abbr=A self-loading 105cm long, 3.3kg rifle firing 9.5x35mmR rounds from a tube magazine with a 10+1 capacity. Captured gas is used to cycle the weapon, and the system can be disconnected in the event of a malfunction to allow manual bolt action operation. Tangent sights match the rifle's 600m effective range, and mild recoil provides an improved ability to maintain accuracy with a higher rate of fire. Comes with a 50cm bayonet.]Gryf's Szybki Rifle[/abbr]

[/abbr=Spitzer-shaped bullets with copper jackets that carry a small payload of mercury fulminate. Tip of the bullet houses a spring and rod assembly that that strikes the fulminate to detonate it. Rounds detonate shortly after striking targets, causing some explosive damage, fragmentation of the copper jacket, and a slight chance of collateral injuries. Some might say slightly over-engineered.]Pęknięcie Ammunition[/abbr]

[/abbr=A 110cm long, 3.8kg straight-pull bolt action rifle firing 7.5x55mm copper jacketed spitzer rounds from a six-round magazine reloaded through charging clips or individual bullets. Tangent sights rest at 50m and are marked every 100m out to 1000m. Has an effective range of 800m. Reliable. Comes with a cleaning kit and 600mm sword bayonet sporting a 450mm double-edged straight blade. Comes with a belt sheathe. White beech and blued steel along with a nearly flush magazine provide a slick appearance.]NSA-SR-12-3-5, ADM Index: 5N1 "Bunaiteach"[/abbr]

[/abbr=Bunis modified for range with a 5x scope mounted 45 degrees off the centerline, a bipod, a muzzle break, and comfortable padding. Scope is adjusted via screws, marked for 100m-1000m, and have a small silhouette for a human at 100m and 500m. The scope provides the weapon (but not the human) a 1300m effective range.]NSA-LR-12-4-2, ADM Index: 5N2 "Banchéile"[/abbr]
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2023, 08:00:05 am »

Behold, the generic rifles with similar specs. The only difference is range apparently. And giant spear blade.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4