Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Greatest War Arms Race (CORE THREAD) - Summer 1912  (Read 2909 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Greatest War Arms Race (CORE THREAD) - Summer 1912
« on: October 10, 2023, 10:41:24 pm »

The year is 1912 and humanity stands between order and chaos. Small border clashes between nations around the world threaten to grow into regional and ultimately global conflicts, and this is especially true for The Northern States Administration and Kingdom of the Southern Star. These two nations have nothing but the most extreme levels of contempt for one another, and they have already clashed a number of times throughout history. With global tension at a peak, war is inevitable once again.

The Northern States Administration is a nation run by a council of one hundred elected officials out of their forest-city capital. While they don't deal with every issue within the Administration, they deal with a lot of them. This has resulted in the Administration turning into a bureaucratic nightmare full of subcouncils, and committees, and subcommittees, with overlapping oversight on different treaties, proposals, and agreements across the entire spectrum of anything a nation would have to deal with. With an imminent threat on the southern border, the War Committee has approved of a new council to oversee preparation for and execution of a plan to take the south for good.

Buried within the mountains of the south, the Kingdom of the Southern Star is one of the last absolute monarchies remaining in the world. Society is heavily divided, with the kingdom's lords and generals sitting at the top and largely dictating the course of the kingdom with little oversight beyond each other. The king has final say in all matters, and has recently flexed his muscle once more in order to pass an edict declaring the formation of a new council to oversee preparation for and execution of a plan to take the north for good.

---------------------------

Greatest War Arms Race is an Arms Race based in an alternate universe on a planet of humans about to enter their equivalent of our World War I. The setting is a fairly flexible medium science fiction: as long as you can give a reason why something should work (more than "because it can") then it should be possible. If you're not sure about the viability of a proposal, you can always ask and I'll let you know if it's at least within the scope of the game, with a little more advice at the start.

You take the role of either a Administrative Engineer or Royal Engineer responsible for designing the weapons of war for your nation. Neither side has any "starting tech" in terms of the game, as both sides will be responsible for filling out their armories throughout the course of the five turns leading up to total war. Make sure you only read this thread and the thread belonging to your team!

Once the war begins in earnest the team will vote on how to advance, detailed in "Strategy Phase and the Combat Lanes" below.

The first five turns will also have Design and Revision phases that will be different than your standard turn as explained below, though the details to the changes will be posted in the individual thread as the turns go by. Turns are the equivalent of three months in game time, and are represented by the four seasons (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter). Below are the rules for the game!

Spoiler: Expense Levels (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Map" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Preliminary Turns (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: There Are No Navies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat Phases (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Additional Rules (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 09:29:55 pm by Man of Paper »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Arms Race (CORE THREAD) - Spring 1912
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 11:24:38 pm »

I will declare for the Northern Administration, obviously following my federal bureaucrat roots

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 12:08:34 am »

I declare for the King!

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 12:35:00 am »

Spent too long debating so fuck it

I DECLARE FOR KING AND COUNTRY

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 01:03:41 am »

Forking and Country!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 01:08:49 am »

joining north

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 05:37:08 am »

To find out which side I am joining, please fill in Alignment Reveal Form 47-B2, and submit it to the Department of Disclosure.
Long Live United Forenia!

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 05:47:21 am »

Blessed is the southern star

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 06:53:22 am »

I will join the Southern Star because I believe I'll be more likely to successfully push entirely unreasonable and insane proposals there.

Rules of war? No, comrade, we make the rules of war.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 08:23:18 am »

For Southern Stars shall fall upon you.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 08:29:10 am »

For the north!
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 09:34:59 am »

For the South!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 12:34:12 am »

Well, seems to be a few less folks north, and I am partially here to fill out numbers...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2023, 02:49:41 am »

Green is the new red. Glory to the NSAstotzka?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2023, 11:40:53 am »

The ouroboros of forms has been completed, glory to NSA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4