Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Battleship: HMS Invincible (Detonating Magazines for Everyone)  (Read 4053 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: HMS Invincible
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2023, 04:41:07 am »

Almost there, just a couple more steps.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2023, 04:42:45 am »

Facepalm. In all of the chaos, I had forgotten about the fleet. Tell conn to watch the skies and shift his rudder whenever the next wave is about to launch their next run, then turn to the signalman.

"Signalman, message for 1st Fleet Flag: This is the HMS Invincible. We're under air attack. Minor damage, but more aircraft incoming. Send fighter cover and a proper screen, post haste. Godspeed."

Give a stoic nod to the bridge team after that message and then glance at the XO and give a sympathetic nod. "Whenever you're ready, sir, I can give you my report."

EDIT: Air cover to fighter cover
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 04:58:42 am by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2023, 09:59:07 am »

Continue waiting for the orders, and probably also the next explosion. Those seem to be pretty common.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2023, 05:20:47 pm »

TURN 5

The eerie silence finally ends as the next wave of planes approaches. The anti air batteries open up. [14] several of the planes inbound are hit. Some of those going down immediately. The planes begin their attack runs and split into a high strike group, a middle strike group and a low group. The low ones release their payloads early, hitting just the water. The middle and high groups wait to get in strike distance.
Planes remaining: (L, M, H)[10/12][8/12][23/26]

Almost there, just a couple more steps.

Emboldened by the familiar sights, you push forward. The ship continues to turn to port. The deck continues to tilt to starboard, making it ever harder to get to your station. [17] However, despite the ever increasing starboard trim, you are basically unslowed as you get ever nearer to your battlestation.

Spoiler: ENS Chadwick (click to show/hide)

Fix the guy with heavy bleeding, if possible, do the guy with guts in hand next

You go to the man who is heavily bleeding. He has a piercing injury through a massive gash in his arm and a head wound. [5+2=7] You take a bit too long to get a good picture of what's going on. (1/3) [11+2=13] You replace some of the bandages with better ones. [5+2=7] You are unable to get the last bandages on for a couple.moments allowing him to continue to bleed (2/3). The patient is stabilized for now.

Spoiler: HMSN Johnson (click to show/hide)

Continue waiting for the orders, and probably also the next explosion. Those seem to be pretty common.

You wait. Announcements for fires in compartments you can't reach go out over the 1MC. But nothing for you now.

Spoiler: DCFN Jones (click to show/hide)

Gotta keep going need to get to post.

You keep moving, the only sounds being yelling sailors and the damage control announcements.

Spoiler: GMSN Goldstine (click to show/hide)

Facepalm. In all of the chaos, I had forgotten about the fleet. Tell conn to watch the skies and shift his rudder whenever the next wave is about to launch their next run, then turn to the signalman.

"Signalman, message for 1st Fleet Flag: This is the HMS Invincible. We're under air attack. Minor damage, but more aircraft incoming. Send fighter cover and a proper screen, post haste. Godspeed."

Give a stoic nod to the bridge team after that message and then glance at the XO and give a sympathetic nod. "Whenever you're ready, sir, I can give you my report."

You jam your hand into your face so hard not only do your grandkids feel it, but so does every senior officer on board. You had forgotten about the rest of 2nd fleet. Not that it mattered much.
   [15] You see the last two of the low planes drop their payloads early, those bombs splashing into the water hundreds of yards from the ship.
   SIIIIIIP
   You order the signalman to send out your message. He gives an enthusiastic 'Aye aye' before running off to signal with his flasher. [5]
   XO looks you over. "Go ahead and give me the report."

Spoiler: LTJG Sorn (click to show/hide)

((Once more. If I fucked anything up, please let me know. Things are about to get wild.))
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2023, 02:16:29 am »

Keep running to my post.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2023, 02:57:07 pm »

((Minor quibble but I keep mentioning to order the conning officer to shift the rudder whenever the next wave approaches, but I'm also multitasking a bunch, lol))

"Conn, shift your rudder."

Sip some more coffee and look at the XO:

"It's not pretty sir. We're under air attack, looks to be Cantolian. Six bomb hits, thankfully only two detonations. Guess their armaments bureau is pretty shit, huh? I've ordered evasive maneuvers and gun quarters and we've asked 1st Fleet to send us some fighter cover while we get our wits about us. Oh, uh, yeah, there's also an entire battlegroup approaching us, so there's that. And, sir, where's the captain if you don't mind me asking?"
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2023, 03:12:30 pm »

I could have stayed asleep :(. Keep waiting!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2023, 05:31:31 pm »

Put finishing touches on bleeding guy, move onto guts guy next

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2023, 06:10:30 pm »

Forward!

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2023, 11:22:19 pm »

TURN 6

The drumming of the anti-aircraft batteries picks up as the bombers come within easy MG distance. Several more planes fall from the sky as their wings are shredded, engines knocked out or pilots killed. [5/10][5/12][13/26] The mid level planes come in and fire rockets into the ship! There's a lot of thuds and a couple of explosions, but most of the rockets shatter on impact or stop in/on the armor.
   The high level planes drop their payloads! There's five distinct impacts, three resulting in detonations.
   The lookout cries out: "TORPEDOES IN THE WATER! PORT SIDE!" There are ten total torpedoes. Only four explosions occur. And only one was against the ship. It rumbles and rolls starboard for a second before settling in the water.

Forward!

You make it up to your station. You are not the last to arrive, but you are also not the first. The chief that is stationed with you hands you your helmet, ear muffs, and flak jacket. "Sir! We gots reports o' ships off da port bow not but a few min't's ago. What's yer orders, sir?"
   Around you are several men all kitted out and ready to commence firing when you give the order to. There's already ammo in the elevator to bring up to you.
   Rockets are striking the ship! You don't break a sweat as those rockets are nowhere near you. One does smack the top of the turret but shatters on impact.
   Bombs fall on the ship! You are unaffected by the detonations of the several bombs that hit the ship.
   Torpedoes inbound! [4] You are knocked around by the detonation of a torpedo nearby and hit your upper right arm on a shell cap, leaving a bruise.

Put finishing touches on bleeding guy, move onto guts guy next

You finish bandaging the bleeder. Turning you attention to the eviscerated man, you give a quick diagnosis [11+2=13] You notice that his intestines are trying to evacuate through his lower abdomen. [0/3] [1+2=3] The surgeon is busy tending to another patient, so you make the executive decision to attempt to put his guts back in. This was a mistake. A big one. As his intestine bursts in his abdomen. He screams as he feels the rupture. It doesn't last long as he slips into shock and passes out. [2/3] While attempting to clean the gunk from his abdominal cavity so he doesn't die of septic shock, you accidentally open a clot in a semi major vein. [3/3] Recognizing that the patient is literally seconds from death [13+2=15] You manage to staunch the bleeding and prevent the patient from bleeding out. He'll die of septic shock within the day.
   Rockets are striking the ship! You are completely safe from the rocket strikes.
   Bombs fall on the ship! [10+1=11] You are fine and relatively unaffected by the nearby(ish) detonation of a bomb.
   Torpedoes inbound! [18+1=19] Not only are you safe from the torpedo's blast radius, but the sudden jolt fills you with anger and determination.

I could have stayed asleep :(. Keep waiting!

You wait. And wait. And wait. There is no announcement aside from the other people having fun fighting fires elsewhere.
   Rockets are striking the ship! You are unaffected by the rocket strike.
   Bombs fall on the ship! You are similarly unaffected by any detonations.
   Torpedoes inbound! [13+2=15 Vs 15] Lucky for you, you are on the 2nd deck. Any lower and you'd be in a bit of a predicament. You definitely feel the torpedo impact. And subsequent detonation. There's a ringing in your ears after the concussive blast from the strike reverberates through the bulkhead and hull. The ship rocks to starboard even further and then settles back to port.
   "The fuck was that?!" Shouts the accessman.

Keep running to my post.

You keep moving. Most others have reached their posts. If only you had been assigned maintenance in #1 Magazine instead. Damnit chief!
   Rockets are striking the ship! You are unaffected by the rocket strikes.
   Bombs fall on the ship! [4+1=5 Vs 15] You are knocked prone by the blast of a nearby bomb blast. Luckily, you missed any and all objects in the passage.
   Torpedoes inbound! [11+1=12 Vs 10] You are fine from the rocking of the ship following a loud boom.

((Minor quibble but I keep mentioning to order the conning officer to shift the rudder whenever the next wave approaches, but I'm also multitasking a bunch, lol))
((Kinda slipped my mind, whoops))

"Conn, shift your rudder."

Sip some more coffee and look at the XO:

"It's not pretty sir. We're under air attack, looks to be Cantolian. Six bomb hits, thankfully only two detonations. Guess their armaments bureau is pretty shit, huh? I've ordered evasive maneuvers and gun quarters and we've asked 1st Fleet to send us some fighter cover while we get our wits about us. Oh, uh, yeah, there's also an entire battlegroup approaching us, so there's that. And, sir, where's the captain if you don't mind me asking?"

[10+3=12 Vs 10] Conn acknowledges and gets the lead out of the pants and shifts the rudder to starboard. The ship starts to shift her roll to port.
   With that taken care of, you shift you gaze to the XO. You sip your coffee. After relaying you report to the wounded commander, he nods. He looks up and mutters some curses to the overhead. "Skipper was in the wardroom. Last I saw, he was headed this way-" As he finishes saying that, the Skipper steps confidently through the door. He looks at the XO for but a moment before looking out the windows.
   He speaks to the XO without looking at him. "Joheny, get off the deck. I've seen you take worse hits than that." Xo looks as flushed as he can with his blood loss. "Lieutenant! Status report." You repeat it to the CO, who then relieves you as acting bridge officer. Immediately after that comes the next wave.
   Rockets are striking the ship! Three impacts nearby ring the bridge. One shatters on the 09, one lodges into the metal wall of the 05 and just sits there. One detonates just aft of the bridge, shattering the port wing windows and starting a small fire on the catwalk just outside of the bridge. [19+1=20 vs 16]Not only are you fine, but your steadfast nature inspires the whole bridge crew to perform better. Even Conn feels your radiance. Your coffee appears to shimmer lightly due to your awesomeness. Could just be the light from the fire bouncing off the broken glass, though. The fire is already dying, since it has no fuel to burn.
   Bombs fall on the ship! You witness two direct bomb hits. Both immediately begin to belch black smoke. One bomb hits just aft of the Fo'c'sle. The second hits a secondary gun just below the bridge. Poor dead bastards. From the port side wing, one of the lookouts reports three more direct hits. One bomb landed in the fantail and penetrated to at least the 4th deck. That one was a dud. One was lodged in the deck just starboard of the middle smokestack. And a final one had pierced the deck port of #5 turret, but failed to detonate. It is at this point that the lookout on the port side screams about the torpedoes in the water.
   Torpedoes inbound! There's not enough time to even brace as four explosions rock the ship. [1+1=2] You are literally thrown to the deck by the sudden movement of the entire bridge to starboard as the ship immediately lurches that direction. [19] You still manage to keep your coffee, though. So that's a small victory. Its not all good news, though. You have impaled your upper left leg with a pencil. It went almost all the way through the muscle, just barely missing your major arteries and veins. But hey. You still have coffee.

((Things got kinda wild there. I was actually hoping for more, but the enemy rolled like shit again.))
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2023, 01:38:41 am »

"Ow. Fuck. Hurt them. These ships, are they in range? Take them out if you can, but don't spare the planes otherwise. I'll take a full sitrep to get up to speed while we start, man."

As I listen, attempt to channel my pain and anger about the arm thing into the shells being fired, so that they will blossom into cleansing fire as they fly toward my enemies. Hopefully not too many will miss.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2023, 02:13:52 am »

Keep moving and I'll get there eventually.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2023, 06:40:51 am »

Ask the CO what he wants me to do now, and then get a crusty challenge coin out of my pocket and flip it while maintaining an ever steadfast hold on my coffee. Use the coin to debate whether or not to yank the pencil out, and then act accordingly.
- Charles Babbage

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2023, 09:32:24 pm »

Whoops

uh, check up on that guy without his eye, surely I won't pop it right?

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship: HMS Invincible Turn 7 (Enemy Spotted!)
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2023, 09:43:45 am »

TURN 7

With the second wave's bombs expended, the attack fighters join the current MG strafing. The retreating bombers beat a hasty retreat, though they lose several more planes on their way out. The deck is littered with corpses and small holes, all having been either poked by rockets or smashed by bombs. Luckily the bombs have had limited effectiveness. The ship begins to turn hard to starboard. The enemy fleet starts to emerge from behind the island. The first ships to be spotted are a formation of destroyers followed immediately by the Cantolian flagship "KJF Alamatsu Hera". Her guns are trained to starboard. The cloud of debris from a shot going out emerges from her aft guns.

"Ow. Fuck. Hurt them. These ships, are they in range? Take them out if you can, but don't spare the planes otherwise. I'll take a full sitrep to get up to speed while we start, man."

As I listen, attempt to channel my pain and anger about the arm thing into the shells being fired, so that they will blossom into cleansing fire as they fly toward my enemies. Hopefully not too many will miss.

Just before you can start your order, the 1MC barks out: "Surface contacts spotted at bearings 250, 260, 265, 267, 276 and 284! Distance is 29000 yards and closing!" You remember from your qualifications that #3 turret has a firing arc of 30 degrees to 130 degrees on either side. You have 6 future coral reefs within your firing arc. The maximum range is 37000 yards.
   You give your order to hurt them to the Chief. He nods. "Get tha le'd out yer drawers, lads! Set guns ta 350!" The turret turns to port 50 degrees. You take your spot at the turret's rangefinder. You wait for the order to open fire.
   A shell strikes the hull further aft!

Your targets are as follows:
  • Alamatsu Hera at 87P Degrees at 30300 Yards
  • DD-4 at 96P Degrees at 30150 Yards
  • DD-3 at 80P Degrees at 29975 Yards
  • DD-1 at 85P Degrees at 29770 Yards
  • DD-2 at 104P Degrees at 29570 Yards
  • DD-5 at 70P Degrees at 29370 Yards

Whoops

uh, check up on that guy without his eye, surely I won't pop it right?

You move on to the man clutching his eye. [4+2+1=7 Vs 10] [Removed Determination 1] [1/3] You inspect the man and determine that his eye has fallen out. You hastily write a prescription for robitussin x-tra strength. Durinf the inspection, you dropped his eye, causing severe pain to the man and starting to cause his nerve to give under the strain of holding the eye from falling. [17+2=19] [1/3] You expertly clean the eye and the socket before attempting to do anything else. You give the man a facial bandage and placing his eye in a clean tray and send him to the surgeon. Aside from some very minor case of partial blindness, he'll recover (assuming he survives the battle).

Finally something in your sector! The Locker officer calls out flooding two compartments forward and 1 down from you. Being that Dewatering team is missing a man, there's room there for you to join. There's a low, almost imperceptible sound of an impact further aft.

Keep moving and I'll get there eventually.

You continue on your marathon run to the magazine. Nothing really happens here, but you spot the vestibule that leads down to the magazine space. The hatch is closed, but you see your chief head down the scuttle.

Ask the CO what he wants me to do now, and then get a crusty challenge coin out of my pocket and flip it while maintaining an ever steadfast hold on my coffee. Use the coin to debate whether or not to yank the pencil out, and then act accordingly.

[Tails] You decide to leave the pencil in. It is, after all, preventing most of the bleeding and has yet to hamper your movement. Your coffee sits placid, in spite of the roiling turmoil around the ship.
   You ask the CO what he wants you to do. "You coordinate with Weapons and send all those Cantolian bastards to Davy Jones' Locker! I'll command Maneuvering and Conn." The lookout cries out his report of the ships cresting the island. Then calls out a single shell flying out to the ship. After a tense moment, it strikes the ship but neither detonates, nor penetrates. It hits aft of #5 turret at the waterline.
   There's still more smoke trails moving from behind that island. You don the phones to Weapons and take post at the central rangefinder. From here, you can see the masts of the ships behind the island as well as the 6 ships who have just crested the island and are now moving to engage you. Weapons officer has already sent for the guns to angle to engage these ruffians. All they await is your orders.

Your targets are as follows:
  • Alamatsu Hera at 87P Degrees at 30300 Yards
  • DD-4 at 96P Degrees at 30150 Yards
  • DD-3 at 80P Degrees at 29975 Yards
  • DD-1 at 85P Degrees at 29770 Yards
  • DD-2 at 104P Degrees at 29570 Yards
  • DD-5 at 70P Degrees at 29370 Yards

((Things are going to get wild again here in a few moments.))
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 09:47:00 am by Sosoku234 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6