Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civ Building Game [Explore IV]  (Read 11137 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Exploit I]
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2023, 12:05:31 am »

Exploit Textile at 16M

The idea here is to establish a permanent exploitation of our textiles (which even as is provide us with ropes, let alone what they CAN do) that won't disappear even as we move off of the tile. This lets us settle anywhere in the central ring, now, and dodge the temporary resource exhaustion from sticking around in one place too long, without losing textile access.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Exploit I]
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2023, 11:18:36 am »

Quote from: Vote "I think the not naming it just votebox is for when there are Major and Minor families, since those voteboxes need to be distinguished" box
Exploit the Hearty Anasazi Bean Poles from 17-M:
Exploit Textile at 16M: (1) NUKE9.13
It does seem likely that we will want to move around next turn, and that finding more textile sources underground is a risky gamble.
Long Live United Forenia!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2023, 11:36:56 am »

Maybe we should call this perma-exploiting to distinguish it from normal exploiting.

Quote from: Votebox
Exploit Textile at 16M: (2) NUKE9.13, Quarque

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2023, 01:57:48 pm »

(Semi-Permanently) Exploit Textile at 16M: (3) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Quarque

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2023, 02:17:10 pm »

(Semi-Permanently) Exploit Textile at 16M: (4) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Quarque, C2M

The chubby family just watching in disappointment as I consign them to the dustbin of minor familyhood.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2023, 03:36:06 pm »

(Semi-Permanently) Exploit Textile at 16M: (4) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Quarque, C2M

The chubby family just watching in disappointment as I consign them to the dustbin of minor familyhood.
Same
(Semi-Permanently) Exploit Textile at 16M: (5) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, Quarque, C2M, Crystalizedmire
she/her

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2023, 03:49:46 pm »

While there's nothing wrong with that idea, I wonder whether we could do a Proposal to just increase our auto-exploitation range. Something like...

Bringers (builds on: Subterranean Migrations, Stonebreakers)
Soon after the recent improvements in the development of our tunnel network, some enterprising youths took an eye toward climbing the social ladder and devised a new way to make themselves valuable in the eyes of others, through the simple expedient of carrying things from place to place on request so their elders don't have to. When this proved an effective path to garner respect, it didn't take long to expand into a full-fledged network of couriers with an in-depth understanding of the local under-geography. These Bringers always stand at the ready at every tunnel junction, to make sure resources within the bounds of their awareness will be Brought to where they need to go, wherever that might be.

Is that something that would work?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2023, 05:08:56 pm »

Nope, that there would be entirely too much of a snowball.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2023, 07:31:44 pm »

Same
Understand the feeling, same here. I hope you guys still enjoy the ride enough to keep playing. I love this game and it needs us minors to stay alive.

After letting it sink in I'm still going to vote for my own proposal. Is it the proper min-max play? Absolutely not.
But right now our people are surviving on a diet of smelly cave fish and *checks notes*.. hairy lichen.

(Semi-Permanently) Exploit Textile at 16M: (4) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, C2M, Crystalizedmire
Exploit the Hearty Anasazi Bean Poles from 17-M: (1) Quarque

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2023, 08:37:40 pm »

Would a proposal such as this be any good?

Net-working (builds on: Primitive Ropemaking)
We have quite a bit of experience with ropes and how to use them.  As such we have learned to make a multitude of knots.  In the course of countless experiments we have come upon one or more knots that have allowed us to create nets.  At first these were mostly for safety, allowing us to create artificial barriers.  However, we quickly learned to create thinner cords and to use them to create more flexible nets with smaller holes, which has allowed us to create items such as mesh bags for carrying items from place to place, as well as to create fishing nets.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2023, 10:50:59 am »

Would a proposal such as this be any good?
It is creative and a nice idea, but min-max gaming wise, I'm afraid it's not what's needed right now.

We only have one limited source of textile right now, while we have enough food (although it is pretty gross) and can quite easily forage more. Using textile for more food is currently not really attractive.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2023, 08:16:21 pm »

Haven't been checking this game lately but just adding to the wagon

(Semi-Permanently) Exploit Textile at 16M: (5) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13, C2M, Crystalizedmire, TCK
Exploit the Hearty Anasazi Bean Poles from 17-M: (1) Quarque

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Experiment I]
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2023, 08:35:50 pm »

Exploitation I: Lichen

Having not completely abandoned their nomadic ties (even if long-distance migration hasn't happened in the near-recent history of the tribe), one Family thought it would be a smart move to prepare their people for continued collection of the Hairy Lichen Walls they currently made use of even if the tribe moved on (Powder Miner +1I). This task would undoubtedly benefit from the usage of Stonebreaker markings, allowing the tribe the opportunity to continue harvesting the food and textile resources provided by the lichen with no interruptions.

The Hairy Lichen Walls in 17-M are now considered Semi-Permanently Exploited. If the tribe moves out of their Exploitation range from the area, then they will cease exploitation and require another action to start gathering again should the lichen reenter their Exploitation radius. Should the tribe settle with resources marked as Semi-Permanently Exploited then those will also be automatically exploited by the settlement much like the resources on the square they've settled. Semi-Permanently Exploited resources can be easily identified in the Resources By Region spoiler with an [SP] tag.

Your tribe is now no longer immune from Nomadic Exhaustion of resources in this location until they move. Beginning next Exploitation Phase you will have to choose a resource to exhaust if you remain within 17-M.

It is now the Experimentation Phase. This will represent the largest potential leap in knowledge that your people will have in a turn. Unlike the other phases, proposals for new advancements in the Experimentation Phase do not need to be in any way related to an existing technology or piece of knowledge. These proposals are meant to be your steps into or creation of new fields of research and industry - metalworking, democracy, and nuclear power are all likely things you will be able to do during as Experiments. Keep in mind though that while the new knowledge does not need to be directly connected, you still need to build proper foundations. Trying to make a space shuttle before you grasp sailing might be a little odd, and making a submarine before you can utilize metals might be even odder. These crazy things may still be possible, but your society is going to need to develop in such a way that a nonmetal submarine is a viable and sane idea that the population would be willing to adopt. And remember, chosen proposals in this phase give 2 Influence as opposed to 1!

Spoiler: Available Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources By Region (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Families (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 08:38:46 pm by Man of Paper »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pit-fired terra-cotta ceramics (Builds on: Early Firemaking, Requires access to: Clay)

After experimenting with the strange soil in 17-M, we have found that we can for it into any shape that we want.  Leaving the items in this form, however, leaves it soft and prone to being dissolved by liquids.  Further experimentation has shown that if we burn the items in a pit along with some hairy lichen, the items become hard and more resistant to liquids (they can still be seriously damage if exposed to liquid long enough and any liquid they contain will eventually leak out very slowly).  We have also found that, if we make and “fire” one of these in the form of a container with an open top and solid sides and a solid floor (which we call a pot), that they will retain water long enough for us to boil it (this requires us to separate the pot from the fire using stones so that the flames aren’t directly touching the pot, otherwise the pot will crack from the heat of the flames; also, as mentioned above, the water will eventually leak out if left in the pot long enough).  Finally, we have found that certain things that we previously couldn’t eat become edible when boiled in a pot (we also find that we can (optionally) boil many other food that doesn’t otherwise need to be boiled).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Succession harvesting?
After observing the hairy lichen, we've observed that when left alone it grows. So reducing the amount of lichen we harvest, we're able to leave behind a patch of lichen. The lichen eventually grows large enough that we can harvest a lot of it again. This will eventually grow into a pattern of harvesting and waiting for it to grow, allowing us a stable supply of hairy lichen. We've also learned that this (sorta) applies to other plants. For example, if we leave behind some beanpoles, our beanpoles will basically restock(in theory, this has not been put into practice yet).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 04:12:12 pm by Crystalizedmire »
she/her
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18