Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: SPAMTRADER OF LUSITANIA: Captain Scott Finley!  (Read 9960 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMTRADER OF LUSITANIA: Captain Scott Finley!
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2023, 10:33:11 am »

"Buy all 150 sacks (15 SL) of Redleaf, and 80 sacks (8 SL) of Sugar."

"We do not have that much space, Captain. We currently have slightly over 22 Shiploads free."

A) "140 Sacks of Redleaf and 80 Sacks of Sugar, then."
B) "150 Sacks of Redleaf and 70 Sacks of Sugar, then."
C) "How about... (insert trade proposal here)?"
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2023, 10:47:42 am »

B.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2023, 11:31:26 am »

"150 Sacks of Redleaf and 70 Sacks of Sugar, then."

"Alright." The Purser notes this and then shakes hands with the Market Keeper, and you do so, too.

"That is fifty nine thousand seven hundred Ducats spent, Captain." With the First Mate and the Company Man still away, you three return to the ship.

25th Early Winter
Afternoon
Isle of Saint Alonso

"Captain!" The First Mate boards the ship after being gone for almost two hours.

"I hope you have not sold yet all of the Fruitbrew?"

"Not a single barrel."

"Splendid! Captain, me and Roberto have found two tavern masters in need of Fruitbrew. One is willing to buy fifteen barrels of Fruitbrew at six hundred forty ducats a Barrel, and the other ten barrels of Fruitbrew, for six hundred a Barrel!"

A) "Splendid work, tell the Purser to manage to transactions and have the sailors deliver the barrels where they're needed!"
B) "No!"
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2023, 11:38:15 am »

A.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2023, 11:52:44 am »

"Splendid work, tell the Purser to manage to transactions and have the sailors deliver the barrels where they're needed!" He gets to work immediately.

Later, when all this is done and completed, the Purser visits you.

"Another fifteen thousand six hundred Ducats of profits, Captain." He looks from the ledger. "Would that be conclusion of our business in St.Alonso?"

A) "Yes! We set sail to Sebastias!"
B) "No, let's buy... (insert trade good here)"
C) "No, let's sell... (insert trade good here)"
D) "Actually, show me the Ledger first."
SigFlags!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2023, 11:56:10 am »

D. It’s best to be in the practice of checking the numbers occasionally, else we may find he forgot to mention our sailers drank however many barrels of this or that.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2023, 12:06:30 pm »

"Actually, show me the Ledger first."

"Of course, monsieur." The Purser places the ledger down on your desk...

Spoiler: Santa Julia Ledger (click to show/hide)

A) "Thank you. We set sail to Sebastias!"
B) "Thank you, let's buy... (insert trade good here)"
C) "Thank you, let's sell... (insert trade good here)"
SigFlags!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2023, 01:00:20 pm »

B Let's fill up the rest of the hold with sugar

And then if there are no more events, set sail

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2023, 01:16:35 pm »

B Let's fill up the rest of the hold with sugar

And then if there are no more events, set sail

Sounds good.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2023, 02:06:21 pm »

"Let's fill up the rest of the hold with sugar" The Purses furrows his brow.

"As you wish..." He scribbles something on the note of his ledger and hums, then scratches his cheek with the quill. "...another nine thousand Ducats of expenses. I shall tell the First Mate that we will be taking in more Sugar, then."

And he leaves.

And the very next morning, when all is set and ready, the ship departs Saint Alonso. Destination: Sebastias!

29th Early Winter
Past Midnight
Half a day away from Sebastias

You and the First Mate watch as sailors, dressed in leather robes, facial masks and with thick gloves, carry out dead bodies of two sailors.

"So, what killed them?"

"High fever, blood in urine, putrefaction of guts... I asked the cook and he said they ate the same as others. So it is not rot or poison that got them." The First Mate grimaces.

"They were both seen visiting establishments of debauchery on Capus, enjoying companionship of some girls there. Could it be lover's pox?" The Surgeon hums and crosses his arms.

"If it was lover's pox... no, that would take months, if not years, to kill them. Well, I could argue for it if it was just one dead, but two..."

"There's more pressing concern on my mind - will this spread?"

"If it was contagious, others would already have the symptoms. So no, I don't think so. This seems to be some sort of bull's madness, perhaps the two visited the same infected lady that fateful night." The Surgeon sighs mournfully.

"As precaution I've ordered that the dead sailors' belongings be burned or thrown overboard and bodies dumped into the sea without rites, and to spread some crushed emerald and dried stingweed around the ship, just in case."

"Sounds good."

"I will make rounds around the ship in the morning and ask if any other sailor has similar symptoms, or visited the same establishment as the dead ones. We will see how it goes."

"Alright. Raise an alarm the moment you find any other affected sailors."

29th Early Winter
Before Noon
Sebastias, Isle of Sebastias

Quote from: Purser's Ledger
Wages:
2 Ducats per Sailor a Day for 147 Sailors over 4 Days from Capus to St.Alonso: 1.176 Ducats

You watch alongside the First mate as the rope is tossed to some local dockworkers to secure the ship.

The Surgeon suddenly emerges from below deck, carrying his pack, and you look at him with worry.

"Do tell how it is." The Surgeon smiles softly at your query.

"I've checked all hands. No one else aboard has the symptoms of the dead sailors."

"Thank Goddess." The First Mate kisses his right thumb and utters a quick prayer, just as the Purser emerges from below deck as well, the ledger under his left arm.

"Ready to disembark and peruse local goods, my good Captain!" The First Mate turns to you.

"Shall we visit the Company Man, Captain, or is it straight to the market this time?"

A) "To the market!"
B) "To the Company Man!"
SigFlags!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2023, 02:17:08 pm »

B - Always worth getting some leads first

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2023, 02:51:27 pm »

"To the Company Man!" The First Mate and the Purser nod and disembark with you the moment the plank is set.

It doesn't take long to reach the office of the Company Man of Sebastias. Compared to Roberto's in Saint Alonso, this was is elaborate, two-storey building made of brick and wooden roof, with glass windows. When you enter, you immediately notice a painting of Goddess, blessing the Three Orphans, taking most of the wall behind the desk where a short, balding man in black shirt sits.

Seeing you three enter, he puts down the silvery goblet he was drinking from and smiles.

"Aha! Guten tag, Xavier! Your ship's, what was it called, is the one that just anchored, right?"

"Santa Julia, and yes, we've just arrived."

"Greetings." The First Mate lifts his hat, and so do you.

"I remember you, mmm, Herr de Panama, was it? But who is this beside you, your new captain?"

"Yes, Captain Scott Finley, from Albion." The Company Man grimaces only very briefly. "Captain, this is Gunther Krone, our Company's Man in Sebastias."

"Please, be seated." You follow your officers to the desk as Gunther takes another quick sip of whatever it is he has in that goblet of his.

"Now, how can I help you and your crew, Captain Finley?"

"Tell me about the city, the market, what is happening around here - information."

"In the city, everything's alright. Good harvest, good trade. Nothing to complain about. In fact, people are quite in a good mood since yesterday!"

"How so?"

"We've had some Lombard ships come yesterday. Full of alcohols, Lombard glassware and rich textiles." The Purser groans.

"Woe! The market's saturated, then."

"Indeed, I wouldn't expect to sell anything of these goods if you have them onboard. You can of course negotiate with the market's keeper, but do not hold much hope." The First Mate grumbles.

"Curses!" The Company Man steeples his fingers.

"I also have some bad news from the seas, if you are willing to listen."

"Do tell."

"There have been some sort of pirate brothers rising to ill fame and reputation along the Columbian Coast. They've struck four times since Autumn, twice southwards of Costas, and afterwards in the waters between here and Copana, then between Guidea and Las Argentas." The First Mate curses under his breath and smacks his hat against his knee in anger.

"This is bad, we've been planning to go to alongside Columbian Coast."

"Do reconsider. The two brothers, ah, how was the tale? Some renegade Albionese officers of lesser grade. Mutinied against their superiors alongside their crew. Their names elude me. They have two Ships, seventy-fivers load, both of them, decently armed with cannons and with swarms of god-forsaken thieves and murderers on board. Set on to plunder gold, silver and alcohol, their victims say. People say one unfortunate ship they've sunk, others they've decimated leaving only skeleton crews to make it to port and spread the fear amongst merchants." There's some silence and consternation before the Purser presses a question.

"Anything being done about them?"

"Well, I've heard some talk from the Zeelanders from the local fort that they're considering sending a Galleon or two after these scum, but knowing how it goes, it will probably be few weeks and few more plunders before anything comes out of it."

A) "Terrible news. We will be going to the market now."
B) "Terrible news. Do you know anything about... (insert topic here?)"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 02:57:01 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2023, 02:58:58 pm »

Might as well ask about Blackspice? I wonder if we can buy more armaments as well...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2023, 03:06:48 pm »

"Terrible news. Do you know anything about Blackspice?" The Company Man laughs a little.

"Blackspice? Blackspice! Our port thrives on Blackspice trade, alongside of course Brownpod and Sweetpod and others. We've had good harvest, and I believe there's quite some still in market stores. Why buy outside the season, the prices will be higher."

"I've accepted a royal Charter for five hundred Coffers of it." Gunther whistles.

"You might be able to get some of it here, I think. The Lombards traded heavily with the keepers, but I've been told they were mostly after Crimsonpeel and Puffcloth for the textile manufactories in their homelands."

A) "Thank you, we will be going to the market now."
B) "Thank you, how about... (insert topic here)?"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 03:26:58 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2023, 03:12:26 pm »

A
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20