Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament VIII  (Read 50112 times)

RandomFastom

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Deranged Player
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament VIII
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2023, 02:48:26 pm »

First Tournament, hope my little human doesn't get demolished by the competition...

Name: Carabella the Fast
Species: Human
Starting Points: 210

Proficient Dodger - 75pts
Adequate Observer - 9pts
Adequate Discipline - 9pts
Competent Crossbowman - 18pts
Steel Crossbow - 96pts (4*24pts)
Total Spent: 207pts
Points Remaining: 3pts

Ideally, they'd at least be wearing underwear, or at least spider silk civilian clothing, maybe a nice winter sweater, but there's no option for it.

Lore: Carabella is, at heart, a professional snowball dodger, living up high in the mountains and having fun with her fellow villagers who wield snowballs like machine guns. Under this circumstance, Carabella considers themselves pretty good at dodging things, though she never was good at the whole throwing snowballs part. But, in preparation for the competition, seeing as they had to fight other creatures and kill them, they decided to take up the crossbow, because all fights are best done at a distance.

Carabella does not believe in armor, because if you can't get hit, there's no need for armor. She believes that all the melee people in the gladiator tournaments will fall to the great skill issue of 'I cannot hit you at a distance'. Is a firm believer in the Military-Workshop Complex, and loves Catapults. They're kinda like giant snowball launchers, just more painful. She entered because she thought all competitors would be melee idiots and not have shields to protect them from bolts, and she might be able to fund her Military-Workshop complex dreams. She might be right, but we'll see if she can outrun someone trying to decapitate her.

Appearance if you want to know: Blonde, Average height, Moderately fair, and Brown eyes. Girl is from a cold climate up north. Imagine a scandanavian person or somethin, I can't draw.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2023, 04:47:24 pm »

Name: Nijinsky

Race: Human

Skills:

Proficient Dodger +75
Adequate Swordsman +15
Adequate Shield User +12
Competent Fighter +18

+120

Equipment:

Iron Short Sword +40
The iron sword is a plain, imperfect blade, stolen from the armory of his former master during his escape from the castle.

Highwood Shield +45
He carries a highwood shield, but it is battered and scarred from heavy use.

Leather mask +5
He wears this mask to protect his face from scars during sword duels.

+90

total = 210pts

Backstory: A dancer from the freezing highlands, Nijinsky is not known for his sanity. He eloped from his stable job as a castle guard but when the marriage fell through (she was a poet, turns out their love was just a metaphor all along) Nijinsky took up tavern dancing and has spent the last few years practicing the various traditional forms of his people.

The leather mask has fox-like ears and protects his face and upper neck. Most curiously the eyes are covered by thin circles of ruby gemstone, fashioned by dwarven gemcutters and appearing like a pair of shallow goggles, which allows for a tinted but fairly wide view from inside the mask.

Unfortunately, Nijinsky signed up thinking this was a tournament for dancers . . . a series of dance battles . . . and so will be severely confused during the first fight. Luckily, he carries his gear all the time.

Mkhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2023, 05:06:43 pm »

First Tournament, hope my little human doesn't get demolished by the competition...

Name: Carabella the Fast
Species: Human
Starting Points: 210

Checks out with 3 points remaining. You can specify whatever non-armor clothing you would like, as long as you avoid layering. Would a silk shirt, trousers, and shoes be fine?

Checks out with 0 points remaining

SlitherPapi

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Committee
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2023, 06:02:47 pm »

Aww yeah! Here's my entry for the tournament  :D
Name - Cackling Jack

Your equipment and skills math checks out, however hyena men start with 215 points, not 210. So your current build leaves you with 8 points remaining.
Approved with 8 points remaining, however let us know if you want to revise your build :>

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2023, 07:26:07 pm »

This is always so fun . :o Here is my entry to the competition:

Name : Massive Mike
Race : Troll

Skills :
Competent Dodger = 30

Equipment :
Copper mail = 30
iron great axe = 60

Total = 120

Backstory : In the age before dwarves or goblins, Trolls ruled the earth. Or at least, that's what Mike's mother told him, but she never was right in the head. Neither is Mike for that matter. One day, like many trolls, he was enslaved by goblin folk thanks to his gambling addiction, but he eventually won his freedom through his service in war, and his performance in gladiatorial combat. Here he was given his title by the goblins: Massive Mike, reflective of his large size, nearly 5 times the size of a goblin! Upon obtaining his freedom, he celebrated at a goblin bar, where he met a traveling Dwarf named Mkhos. Mkhos is the first dwarf Mike had ever met that wasn't trying to bury an axe in his face, and he told Mike of a tournament soon to start: a chance to win glory and immortality in the eyes of the world! Massive Mike, wisely knowing that Trolls don't live very long anyway, set off to join this tournament. He is intent to meet more people like Mkhos, and to win wealth and glory!
"That way leads to the surface. We don't go to the surface."

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2023, 07:28:52 pm »

Checks out with 0 points remaining

thank you kindly
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 12:59:33 am by Salmeuk »

SlitherPapi

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Committee
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2023, 08:06:04 pm »

This is always so fun . :o Here is my entry to the competition:
Name : Massive Mike

Approved with 0 points remaining!

RandomFastom

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Deranged Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2023, 08:58:28 pm »

Would a silk shirt, trousers, and shoes be fine?

Yep! Sounds good.

Warzagg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2023, 09:16:06 pm »

Okay, I'll spend 7 points on Jabberer leather leggings, which will leave Jack with one point.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 09:18:18 pm by Warzagg »

Mudequipy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2023, 10:11:34 pm »

Name: Faurine Lethiramí

Race: Elf(+220)

Equipment:
  • Iron bow (-48)
  • Iron Cap (-20)
  • Leather Armour (-12)
  • Leather Gloves (-4)
  • Leather Leggings (-7)
  • Leather High Boots (-5)

Skills:
  • Skilled Bowelf (-30)
  • Competent Dodger (-30)
  • Competent Archer (-12)
  • Competent Observer (-18)
  • Competent Discipline (-18)
  • Competent Armor User (-12)

SPENT: 216
LEFTOVER: 4

Backstory:
  "Faurine is a promising but unambitious archer that decided to try her luck in the coliseum after being banned from her village."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 09:54:39 am by Mudequipy »

evilwaldo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2023, 10:45:44 pm »

Long time fort maker first time in the Tournament.

Name: Doft

Race: Yeti (+100)

Equipment:
Silver Warhammer (-78)

Skills:
Adequate Hammerman (-15)
Novice Dodger (-5)

Spent: 98
Leftover: 2

Backstory: Doft is, well, simply a yeti with a hammer. Doft was captured by dwarfs and chained up at the end of a trap hallway. He was given a hammer and told to "smash goblin." he never saw many goblins but when he did, he smashed. The dwarfs of the fort grew tired of feeding him and the inevitable swings of the hammer that came with it so, they decided to enter him into the Gladiator Tournament of the year. The dwarfs hope he will bring fame and fortune to their mountain home!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 10:49:30 pm by evilwaldo »

SlitherPapi

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Committee
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2023, 10:56:43 pm »

Okay, I'll spend 7 points on Jabberer leather leggings, which will leave Jack with one point.

Perfect, updated your build accordingly.

Name: Faurine Lethiramí

Approved with 4 points remaining! Always fun to see an archer in these events.

Long time fort maker first time in the Tournament.
Name: Doft

Approved with 2 points remaining!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2023, 10:07:21 am »

Name: "Boogie Wonderland"

Race: Bogeyman (Size 50; points 220+?)

Skills:
Proficient Dodger 75
Competent Striker 30
Competent Biter 30
Competent Observation 30
Competent Wrestler 30
Novice Dancer 5

Total spent: 200

Background:
From parts unknown.

looking through this I feel like 47.05 era bogeymen in arena isn't really that static so outside of the werebeast transformation ordeal bogeymen naturally have and possibly the might DQ themselves if the tourney runner doesn't go through and slap on 'can_learn' on to all the larger animals in the raws to prevent them being used in the random transformation pool... you still got a randomly generated creature that might gain flight with wings or end up with flightless wings every time the tourney runner opens arena mode. also it might also be similar to the Minotaur scenario where they start with natural skills on top of what ever skills you slap on.
and I think the set combat skills they have is set to talented.
oh and on top of that their attack and recover is set to 2 so they are one tick faster in unarmed melee than most creatures in the game barring the other randomly generated creatures(though this is going off if they just fought you and not instantly shapeshifted since they shapeshift as a defense mechanism).

this is the stats of the bogeyman with the selected skills added on top of the natural skills they normally have.

As someone who probably like to see a bogeyman enter into this tourney, the process to see one get added in would require manipulating the entire creature raw pool to workaround the hardcoded nature of the 'under a kobold' size being and that doesn't cover the no exert bits meaning if the bogeyman survives combat long enough for the transformation timer runs out they get a full heal.
or extract the raws of a bogeyman to then edit that raw file to make them tournament legal which depends on how you do that. Do you keep the transformations or do you remove that and make them 44.12 era bogeymen with no natural skills or do you keep the natural skills and just reduce the points you get on building the character, or keep the transformation but set it to curated creature pool and remove the natural skills?

any way a bit more thought into the veto on bogeymen that would require a bunch of changes to get the appeal to go through.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2023, 10:12:20 am »

Wow, I love this and am sad I missed its existence until this year!
I'm not sure if this is an unstated rule (or a stated rule that I missed), but are you allowed to enter more than one gladiator?

Either way, here's my entry:

Name: Nycteris "Nick" Nana
Race: Bat man (260 points)

Skills:
Competent Archer (-12)
Talented Crossbowman (-63)
Proficient Dodger (-75)
Adequate Observer (-9)

Equipment:
Steel Crossbow (-96)
Cave Spider Silk Shirt (0)
Cave Spider Silk Pants (0)
Cave Spider Silk Hood (0)

Unspent points: 5

Backstory:
Nick doesn't really want to be here. In fact, he's not even sure how he got here. He's not much of a fighter, what with his fragile bones and all. He's just hoping against hope that maybe, with his trusty crossbow, he can kill things from far enough away that he'll be able to avoid being crushed like a bug and flap out that door at the end of this.

SlitherPapi

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Committee
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2023, 11:04:32 am »

I'm not sure if this is an unstated rule (or a stated rule that I missed), but are you allowed to enter more than one gladiator?

Name: Nycteris "Nick" Nana

Your build is approved with 5 points remaining!
Only 1 gladiator per person is allowed, however. That way we give as many different people as possible the chance to compete :>
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 11:12:10 am by SlitherPapi »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33