Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Tower of Makhios - I Lost Count of the Turns (8/8, waitlist open)  (Read 11035 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - Turn 4 (8/8, waitlist open)
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2023, 08:11:36 pm »

Seeing no one else wants to fight the monsters, Mu heads in to do so.

Spoiler: Mu (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - Turn 6 (8/8, waitlist open)
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2023, 09:17:12 am »

(I'll post in a few hours or so?)
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2023, 09:35:16 pm »

(I'll post in a few hours or so?)
(Works for me, honestly. Laptop is acting up.)
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2023, 10:14:07 am »

Shrugging the mercenary,  seeing as nobody has a fucking plan stood at the door ready to brain a bat with his cudgel if any came flying to the door. Better to keep the only door they've seen so far clear so the others can get in before the enemy did.

Spoiler: Siegrid (click to show/hide)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2023, 08:23:23 pm »

I will post in a day or so. Family friend passed away recently so I haven’t been online much lately sorry

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2023, 08:01:33 pm »

Everyone is mostly finished up, I will post tomorrow for sure, I have nothing to do

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2023, 08:57:41 pm »

Spoiler: Arek (click to show/hide)

Arek tries to piece together anything relevant to his situation from the scroll, and if not possible, he joins Mu in beating up the monsters with his pull charm

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2023, 02:21:23 pm »

Sorry y'all, I just got my laptop back from repair. Have a lot to catch up on accordingly but I will make sure to have a turn up today.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2023, 09:48:34 am »

No problemo

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2023, 04:06:58 am »

Taking the road less traveled seems to work out well for Shanks! Peak through the right door and if it looks safe to Shanks walk in!

Spoiler:  Shanks The Monsters (click to show/hide)

Roll Focus: 1+1 = 2

Shanks takes a surreptitious glance into the room to the right. The room seems devoid of occupants, and doesn't have any further connections - a dead end. In the center of the room sits an interesting fixture: a statue of Makhios. The tip of the spear he carries in his right hand emits a faint red pulse, while shadowy glyphs dance across the surface of the tablet in his left. The room smells particularly musty, somewhere between a damp basement and an animal's lair.

Enter the room and go for the dagger, picking up the coins one at a time as quietly as possible.

Spoiler: Isolde (click to show/hide)

Roll Conviction: 2+3 = 5

Though the bats are seemingly sound asleep, creeping under them is still a nerve-wracking experience. Despite the imminent danger, Isolde remains steadfast and unafraid, guided by her vision to the treasure-laden coffer. Sifting patiently through the coins within, Isolde is able to uncover and extricate the dagger, exactly the same in all regards as it seemed in her mind's eye. Feeling its weight, Isolde is certain that the implement is meant to be thrown. Even to one unfamiliar with the flow of arcana as Isolde, the energy within the stone at the knife's base is clearly unstable and hardly contained.

Throwing Knife (Frost-Imbued, Unstable)

Continue recovering in silence

Spoiler: Meleria (click to show/hide)

Roll Conviction: 5+1 = 6

Meleria, emboldened by Isolde's success and the implacability of the huddled bats, finds it much easier to catch her breath. Her connection to the arcane current mends itself as her spirits lift, and soon enough, magical potential is coursing through her once again.

Meleria loses 2 Arcana!

Xing Xing will take a Maile Shirt and rest a bit before going back out. A minor debt, easily repaid. Light armor that won't cause issue.

Settling her old tab and paying off a good chunk of her newer debt in the process, Xing Xing walks away with a fine hauberk.

Maille Shirt (light, 0.5 wound reduction)

Heading back up the stairs, Xing Xing is able to retrace her steps and rejoin the group fairly easily. They now wait outside another room filled with giant bats, preparing to face these new foes at the very moment.

Seeing no one else wants to fight the monsters, Mu heads in to do so.

Spoiler: Mu (click to show/hide)

Shrugging the mercenary,  seeing as nobody has a fucking plan stood at the door ready to brain a bat with his cudgel if any came flying to the door. Better to keep the only door they've seen so far clear so the others can get in before the enemy did.

Spoiler: Siegrid (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arek (click to show/hide)

Arek tries to piece together anything relevant to his situation from the scroll, and if not possible, he joins Mu in beating up the monsters with his pull charm

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wait for the others to act.  if they act, I use my equipped staff, trying to conjre some sort of offensive magic

((could I, by any chance, slip my point from skill-at-arms to brawn?))

Growing impatient with the inaction of the others, Mu is the first to stride into the room without making an attempt at stealth, backed up by Siegrid, Vaolu, and Arek, who are ready to engage the bats at a moment's notice. As Mu enters, sure enough, the creatures begin to stir, crimson eyes flicking open and scanning their surroundings. The creatures squeak, click, and screech as they unfurl their leathery wings, and four of them drop down from the ceiling, headed towards the interlopers. It seems as if they are either unaware of Isolde's presence, or simply more focused on the more overt presence of Mu. He is prepared, and takes a swing at the first bat to enter his reach.

Roll Skill-at-arms: 4+2 = 6

A sickening crunch spells the end of the bat, its limp form thudding against the ground after Mu caves its head in. Seems like the straightforward approach was fairly handy.

Perk gained! (Mu)
Implacable - Rolls against fear are not affected by your Wounds value. Additionally, you are immune to fear for the first round of each combat.

Siegrid, too, is prepared to strike, emerging from behind the door as the next bat draws close.

Roll Skill-at-arms: 3+2 = 5

Siegrid finds that bat skulls are, if anything, far easier to crush than most. Despite their size, it turns out that the bats are - individually, at least - fairly fragile creatures. A single blow is more than enough to dispatch another. Two are now dead, another two still incoming, and the last four yet to leave the ceiling.

Arek finds little interesting about the partially-deciphered text: it seems like some sort of memorandum, its significance likely long lost. Turning to the fight at hand, he puts his new charm to use, pulling the last two bats down to the ground.

Roll Focus: 4+3 = 7

The force is more than enough to send the bats slamming down into the ground. It doesn't take a particularly skilled logistician to figure out that the effect seems superb for dealing with flying foes: both bats are either dead or paralyzed after colliding with the stone floor.

Arek gains 0.5 Arcana!

Vaolu, too, prepares to put his magical implement to use.

Roll Focus: 3+3 = 6

Channeling his arcana into his new staff, Vaolu is simultaneously horrified and delighted as one of the bats on the ceiling starts bleeding profusely from its eyes and mouth not a moment later. The blood, instead of falling to the ground, remains suspended in the air, collecting in a globule before being drawn to the tip of the staff, wherein it is seemingly absorbed. Vaolu can feel the energy of the bat's vitae course through the staff and offset some of the Arcana drained by the spell. The bloodless husk of the bat plummets, lifeless, to the ground.

Vaolu gains 0.25 Arcana!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower of Makhios - OPEN
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2023, 04:21:22 am »

Interesting. I wonder if trying to use the knife will expend it? Maybe better to keep a hold of it for now.
Wait quietly for the last bats to fly down and attack the others. If one survives, kick it in the back.

Spoiler: Isolde (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2023, 07:23:24 am »

(I don't rest a bit? Would rather not have to pay for medicine or healing cause I got hurt.)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2023, 05:18:14 pm »

(I don't rest a bit? Would rather not have to pay for medicine or healing cause I got hurt.)
((*raises eyebrow* - did you get wounds or arcana that you are trying to rest to recover?

Not sure if you noticed, the Curative Charm that Arek has trades gaining 1 full arcana to heal 0.25 wounds. This restricted-to-casters-who-can't-have-almost-any-other-perks-beyond-casting-and-requires-a-magic-item-even-for-them healing method heals you at a 4-to-1 exchange rate, meaning arcana is far, far less valuable than wounds are. next notice how much Arcana Meleria is recovering by resting. A conviction roll of 6 recovered 2, and a conviction roll of 3 recovered 0.5, and these are from spending the entire turn resting. So even the "cheap" currency (Arcana) is quite expensive to recover. combine these clues and it makes sense that wounds don't heal on turn-based timescales. probably you could heal if you rested for days instead of turns, but I bet that turn-based-rests aren't going to heal wounds, simply from the context clues.

so since your momentary rest wasn't going to have any effect, it was probably just not mentioned as it's an unimportant side-action instead of an actual turn-action and the DM didn't want you to lose a turn for nothing. So if anything you should probably be glad that the "stand around and do nothing" part of you action was skipped.

I could be wrong of course, I'm not Rethi, but I hope you understand why I seriously doubt that your rest partial-action was capable of accomplishing anything.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2023, 05:29:54 pm »

(I believe the main use of the curative charm is to get past the whole number breakpoint so that you can heal the rest naturally. Like if you're at 1.7 wounds, you can rest to heal up to 1 wound, use the charm, then keep resting to get to 0 wounds. Also the charm is probably just a low level and weak spell at this point in the game.
Though you're certainly not going to get any healing done without posting you sheet, tric.)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2023, 06:14:41 pm »

I think they've got this, but I need to show that I'm not useless!
I use my fire on the bats overhead!

Spoiler: Meleria (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12